• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

" 'missed' triming?" or "How i got pwnt" :(

25 posts in this topic

Check the edges and look for uniformity of color. If the top edge appears whiter than the other 3 edges it may have been trimmed. Try checking the actual cut with a magnifying glass for any irregularities in the cut.

Check the edges and look for uniformity of color. If the top edge appears whiter than the other 3 edges it may have been trimmed. Try checking the actual cut with a magnifying glass for any irregularities in the cut.
Great advice, Thanks. When i crack it out i will post a pic of the inside.

I think you have a book with about a 2 inch stretch that has had only the cover trimmed...only partially and not the inner book itself. The book probably had a section of the overflash that was on the verge of flaking off and someone evened it out as best they could with an exacto knife. If you take a strong magnifying glass and examine closely you will probably find that the untrimmed portion will have tiny (and almost invisible to the naked eye) color flecks in that stretch, where the trimmed edge will be pefectly sliced. This is due to the fact that the original cover was sheared while the trim area was sliced. A totally different process. Unfortunately , I have a couple books in my permanent collection that may have this "problem" also. I was pissed at first, but the trim is so slight, even slighter than your example, that I've decided to just be happy with them. To replace them would be too costly and they're still beautiful books. I may even be wrong about them. Books with minor, partial trims to only one edge are starting to bother me less after I step back and really look at them. If I can find cheap examples of books I've always wanted with slight work for a great price...I may go for it. Unfortunately, most trimmed books get popped out of slabs and put in mylars and are left once again to the discretion of an unsure buyer. At a hundred bucks, I might just keep the ST 107....still a pretty book. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think you have a book with about a 2 inch stretch that has had only the cover trimmed...only partially and not the inner book itself. The book probably had a section of the overflash that was on the verge of flaking off and someone evened it out as best they could with an exacto knife. If you take a strong magnifying glass and examine closely you will probably find that the untrimmed portion will have tiny (and almost invisible to the naked eye) color flecks in that stretch, where the trimmed edge will be pefectly sliced. This is due to the fact that the original cover was sheared while the trim area was sliced. A totally different process. Unfortunately , I have a couple books in my permanent collection that may have this "problem" also. I was pissed at first, but the trim is so slight, even slighter than your example, that I've decided to just be happy with them. To replace them would be too costly and they're still beautiful books. I may even be wrong about them. Books with minor, partial trims to only one edge are starting to bother me less after I step back and really look at them. If I can find cheap examples of books I've always wanted with slight work for a great price...I may go for it. Unfortunately, most trimmed books get popped out of slabs and put in mylars and are left once again to the discretion of an unsure buyer. At a hundred bucks, I might just keep the ST 107....still a pretty book. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree Jimbo, ive already cracked it and put it in a mylar. I will find out for sure one day soon, but either way Its not that big of a deal to me at the price.