• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timely comics editorial regarding Wertham etc plus a ???

19 posts in this topic

Thought this would be of interest. I pulled it from the back of a Marvel Mystery Comic #89. What I'd never heard of was the seeming division of the publishing units (see the left column). Anyone have any info on that?

91443.jpg.e80e6945c24e3c67f41da54839e899a6.jpg

The units (and there were similar at DCs) were designed for advertising purpose. Advertisers could select one or the other or both lists of books to advertise in. (thumbs u

At the same time, when some companies ran ads in multiple publishers' line-ups, they might put a code in the ad (like ARCH for Archie) so they would know where their advertising was successful.

And as far as I know, the group name has ALWAYS been Marvel.

The earliest I've seen the Marvel Group mentioned on comics is April 1940 at the bottom of the inidica of Marvel Mystery Comics #6, which reads:

For advertising write MARVEL GROUP 330 W 42nd St., New York, N.Y.

And as far as I know, the group name has ALWAYS been Marvel.

The earliest I've seen the Marvel Group mentioned on comics is April 1940 at the bottom of the inidica of Marvel Mystery Comics #6, which reads:

For advertising write MARVEL GROUP 330 W 42nd St., New York, N.Y.

So the group name was Marvel but it was published by Timely Publications correct?

What is the exact distinction? Was Timely also responsible for publishing the earlier martin Goodman pulps?

Just checked MMC 2,3,5 and there is no mention of either Marvel Comics or Marvel Group, simply Timely publications. So I'm agreeing with the #4 being a mistake (they meant to write Marvel Mystery Comic and instead left out the Mystery IMO)

As for Marvel pulps, I own very few, but I recall they were published by the same sub-companies that published comics, i.e. Interstate Publishing Corp., Western Fiction Pub. Co., etc., I'm not sure if Timely Publications ever published a pulp title. The person to ask would be Doc-V over in the Yahoo Timely-Atlas group. He has done a ton of research into Marvel's history including the pulp magazines.

Hopefully this will help explain things. Scroll down to the testimony of Monroe Froehlich, Jr. where he attempts to explain the organizational layout.

Great link!

The shorthand version as I understand it.

Magazine Management Co.= A partnership (holding company?) that owns stock in various shell publishing companies responsible for comics, magazines and paperbacks, of which Timely Publications is one of many.

Atlas Magazines Inc. = Wholly owned distribution company that distributes publications produced by those publishers, who are its stockholders.

Marvel Comics = A group name used for selling advertising space in the comics produced by those publishers.

I'm sure Martin Goodman had various accounting reasons for doing things that way, but he sacrificed branding opportunities for a long time before settling on Marvel Comics as the identifying name of his comics line.

Regarding usage of Marvel Comics Group...

Dug up the copyright for Marvel Comics vol 1 no 1 Nov 1939.

It lists Timely Publications doing business as Marvel Comics Group.

If all this is as the date of registration , 1939-08-31 then

Marvel Comics Group was at least used by the company at the lines birth.

Type of Work:Non-dramatic literary work

Registration Number / Date:RE0000398024 / 1967-08-30

B00000429173 / 1939-08-31

Title:Marvel comics. Vol. 1, no. 1, Nov. 1939. By Timely Publications.

Copyright Note:C.O. correspondence.

Variant title:Marvel comics

Copyright Claimant:Timely Comics, Inc., d.b.a. the Marvel Comics Group (PCW)

Names:Timely Publications (19 documents)

example document: Marvel mystery comics. Vol. 1, no. 9, July 1940. By Timely Publications

Marvel Comics Group (260 documents)

example document: Sub-mariner. Episode 2. By Marvel Comics Group

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/copyright/marvel-comics-vol-1-no-11-sept-1940-by-timely-publications/#id7476626#ixzz0b7l44u3n

I think that is unrelated to the copyright. Believe it is part of the FAQ.ord site rather than part of the actual copyright.

Any you lawyer types got any idea if the DBA on the claimant is a snapshot in time or rather indicative of the current copyright holder?