• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ous The First Comic Book Movie to Win Best Picture... sort of.

145 posts in this topic

Inglourious Basterds, which owes more than a little to "Sgt. Fury," will most likely be nominated and could possibly split off enough votes from Hurt Locker and Up in the Air to win the big prize.

For Sure :headbang:

WEBHEAD

It's not going to win BP, The Hurt Locker will most likely win.

I assume we're talking about Oscars? If so, I don't know about Hurt Locker. Certainly one of the best reviewed movies of the year, but the academy tends to frown on films that didn't make a splash in popular culture.

I assume we're talking about Oscars? If so, I don't know about Hurt Locker. Certainly one of the best reviewed movies of the year, but the academy tends to frown on films that didn't make a splash in popular culture.

You mean like Slumdog Millionaire? I had no idea such a movie existed until Oscar season rolled around.

You mean like Slumdog Millionaire? I had no idea such a movie existed until Oscar season rolled around.

I saw Slumdog millionaire in the theater, it didn't kick in till the last 30 mins or so, The Dark Knight was better,there was a big uproar from the studios when it got snubbed,hence why there will now be 10 nominations instead of 5

nearmint I think you have it backwards :hi:

Inglourious Basterds, which owes more than a little to "Sgt. Fury,"

Why would you ever make this strange connection, as it's a remake of an Italian film with a bit of The Dirty Dozen tossed in. I've seen it, and the movie has absolutely nothing to do with comics:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076584/

The Dark Knight was better,there was a big uproar from the studios when it got snubbed,hence why there will now be 10 nominations instead of 5

lol, of course the studios want to keep releasing brain-dead muck, and still get the Oscar noms, which is why the Best Pics have been expanded to 10. It has NOTHING to do with quality, and (although I loved it) if you honestly believe TDK was the best movie of the year, then you need to get out more.

One exec, hoping his slate of pre-pubescent garbage gets a few noms, said it best this year:

"If all the nominees are films that are artistically wonderful but commercially obscure, what happens is the interest in the show has dissipated, and that's bad for the business."

Inglourious Basterds, which owes more than a little to "Sgt. Fury,"

Why would you ever make this strange connection, as it's a remake of an Italian film with a bit of The Dirty Dozen tossed in. I've seen it, and the movie has absolutely nothing to do with comics:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076584/

why should facts get in the way of an eyecatching thread title?

The Dark Knight was better,there was a big uproar from the studios when it got snubbed,hence why there will now be 10 nominations instead of 5

lol, of course the studios want to keep releasing brain-dead muck, and still get the Oscar noms, which is why the Best Pics have been expanded to 10. It has NOTHING to do with quality, and (although I loved it) if you honestly believe TDK was the best movie of the year, then you need to get out more.

One exec, hoping his slate of pre-pubescent garbage gets a few noms, said it best this year:

"If all the nominees are films that are artistically wonderful but commercially obscure, what happens is the interest in the show has dissipated, and that's bad for the business."

Not much else came out that year and yes I do think that was the best movie of 2008. Best movie of this year imo? Up.

Slumdog was released two months before the Oscar nominations were announced, and was very much in the public eye long before it went wide the day after Christmas. Most critics had it on their top ten list long before the nominations were announced. I don't know how could have missed all that attention, George.

Hurt Locker, on the other hand, came out in June, and despite incredible reviews, never caught the public's eye, and has only grossed 12 million to date. There's really no comparison between the two.

nearmint I think you have it backwards :hi:

Why's that? The academy has long been accused of choosing popular films over more artistic fair.

Why's that? The academy has long been accused of choosing popular films over more artistic fair.

Yes, but the popular films have gotten so bad lately, that they're being forced to choose higher-quality, if less populous, movies just to save face.

Could you imagine if the Best Pic list included Transformers 2, Terminator Salvation and Wolverine? That's what the studios want to see.

UP was great. :cloud9:

Why the heck was that explorer still young/even alive? My kids even asked that, especially since he looked so young in the movie compared to the old guy.

I heard there was some plot about eggs from the island giving extended life, but it got cut due to time or something.. then they just left the rest as is.. :preach:

Yes, but the popular films have gotten so bad lately, that they're being forced to choose higher-quality, if less populous, movies just to save face.

Could you imagine if the Best Pic list included Transformers 2, Terminator Salvation and Wolverine? That's what the studios want to see.

But it probably will include Avatar, maybe Up, maybe Where the Wild Things Are.

But it probably will include Avatar, maybe Up, maybe Where the Wild Things Are.

With 10 noms, these are near-locks:

The Hurt Locker

Invictus

Inglourious Basterds

Precious

Up In the Air

Nine

And that's not even counting late-release dark horses like Shutter Island, Amelia, or Eastwood's Mandela movie.

Where it gets interesting is which "commercial movies" will get the token nomination(s) - stuff like:

Star Trek

The Hangover

Up...