• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ous The First Comic Book Movie to Win Best Picture... sort of.

145 posts in this topic

But it probably will include Avatar, maybe Up, maybe Where the Wild Things Are.

With 10 noms, these are near-locks:

The Hurt Locker

Invictus

Inglourious Basterds

Precious

Up In the Air

Nine

And that's not even counting late-release dark horses like Shutter Island, Amelia, or Eastwood's Mandela movie.

doh!

Uh, "Invictus" IS "Eastwood's Mandela movie". :makepoint:

Can you imagine today, pictures like Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark or E.T. being nominated for best picture?

Of course I can. All of them are great, well made films. 3 of them were directed by Spielberg, who actually had talent, compared to all the hacks they hire to make summer blockbusters now.

There seems to be a misconception that a Best Picture nomination means it is not a box office blockbuster. This is not true. However, in recent years, box office blockbuster has generally meant such a wretched movie that of course it wouldn't be nominated.

"If all the nominees are films that are artistically wonderful but commercially obscure, what happens is the interest in the show has dissipated, and that's bad for the business."

I would turn it around and say that the problem is that the American movie-going public settles for total k-rap and wouldn't know an "artistically wonderful" film if it hit them over the head.

These boards are a good microcosm of this phenomenon.

Says the man who collects DCs.... :baiting:lol

"If all the nominees are films that are artistically wonderful but commercially obscure, what happens is the interest in the show has dissipated, and that's bad for the business."

I would turn it around and say that the problem is that the American movie-going public settles for total k-rap and wouldn't know an "artistically wonderful" film if it hit them over the head.

These boards are a good microcosm of this phenomenon.

Says the man who collects DCs.... :baiting:lol

Without DCs there'd be no Marvels. :cool:

Can you imagine today, pictures like Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark or E.T. being nominated for best picture?

Of course I can. All of them are great, well made films. 3 of them were directed by Spielberg, who actually had talent, compared to all the hacks they hire to make summer blockbusters now.

There seems to be a misconception that a Best Picture nomination means it is not a box office blockbuster. This is not true. However, in recent years, box office blockbuster has generally meant such a wretched movie that of course it wouldn't be nominated.

I don't know. All of the movies I listed I do consder to be great and were all nominated in the past. One thing they have in common is they're fun movies. I can't remember in recent history if a "fun" film has been nominated for best picture.

I can't remember in recent history if a "fun" film has been nominated for best picture.

Obviously it depends on how you define "fun film". I agree the last couple of years have been dry, because the mass market films were by and large completely devoid of quality except for DKR.

But looking at recent nominees, I would classify the following as very commercial movies, definitely non-arthouse flicks, that a young male demographic could enjoy:

2006 The Departed (winner)

2003 was a great year for "fun" films: Master and Commander, Seabiscuit and of course LOTR: ROTK (winner)

2002: Gangs of New York, LOTR: TTT

2001: LOTR: TFOTR

2000: Gladiator (winner)

1999: Green Mile, Sixth Sense

1998: Saving Private Ryan

1997: Titanic (winner, essentially a disaster film with a romance overlay), Good Will Hunting, LA Confidential

1996: Jerry Maguire

1995: Apollo 13, Braveheart (winner)

Avater apparently had a slow Christmas day, but came back to win the weekend as Holmes died off over the weekend.

Holmes made about $50 million more than I would've thought possible. Guy Ritchie plus Robert Downey Jr plus Jude Law plus 19th century English detective would normally equal box office poison.

Avatar's performance in its 2nd weekend was remarkable, even if the first weekend was affected by bad weather. I don't know if there's ever been a mega-release in the modern era that effectively stayed level in its 2nd week. Even DKR, which fell off so little from Week 1 to Week 2 that everyone know it was going to be a monster, had a more significant drop-off.

The fact that Annie Hall won over Star Wars which has turned out to be the most influential movie ever is why the Oscars stink. Look at how that movie has influenced movies, directors, studios, technology companies, toy sales, nerds like myself, and in many other ways. Annie Hall - no lasting impact.

John Wayne- True Grit. Come on the man should have won one long before that.

Paul Newman- Color of Money. Another make up for a great actor.

Clint Eastwood- Nominated once as an actor. Should have won one along the way.

Lord of the Rings- No acting nominations.

Up- No shot. It is animation and along with science fiction are the ugly step children to the academy.

The fact that Annie Hall won over Star Wars which has turned out to be the most influential movie ever is why the Oscars stink. Look at how that movie has influenced movies, directors, studios, technology companies, toy sales, nerds like myself, and in many other ways. Annie Hall - no lasting impact.

Hindsight is a great thing.

Anyways, I may disagree with the Academy on quite a few of their best movie picks, but Annie Hall ain`t one of them. It`s a great movie. Woodie Allen is a great director and writer and was at his peak in the 1970s. Only two of his pictures have ever been nominated for best picture, and if none of them had ever won, that would`ve been a real travesty.

I think it`s ironic that you complain below that animation and sci-fi are the ugly step-children of the Academy, but you seem to be willing to discriminate against one of its other ugly step-children, the comedy.

Clint Eastwood- Nominated once as an actor. Should have won one along the way.

Please. Eastwood was many things, but a great actor was not one of them.

Lord of the Rings- No acting nominations.

:eyeroll: Maybe because the acting was the worst part of the movies? Maybe Ian McKellen deserved a best supporting nomination, but even that`s a reach.

Up- No shot. It is animation and along with science fiction are the ugly step children to the academy.

Totally agree with you here.

Annie Hall won because it IS a better film. I love Star Wars but it's got nothing on Allen when he's got it.

Annie Hall was "revolutionary" comedy. Go see it again and admire how many times it surprises you. And if you are younger than 30, try to imagine a time before its "tricks" were commonplace: talking to the audience (Marshall Mcluhan) , subtitles for inner thoughts, etc Coming after his first few wacky comedies, this was a unique blend of romantic tragedy and comedy, fully meshing european cinematic sensibilities and american tastes and subject matter.

Avater apparently had a slow Christmas day, but came back to win the weekend as Holmes died off over the weekend.

Holmes made about $50 million more than I would've thought possible. Guy Ritchie plus Robert Downey Jr plus Jude Law plus 19th century English detective would normally equal box office poison.

Avatar's performance in its 2nd weekend was remarkable, even if the first weekend was affected by bad weather. I don't know if there's ever been a mega-release in the modern era that effectively stayed level in its 2nd week. Even DKR, which fell off so little from Week 1 to Week 2 that everyone know it was going to be a monster, had a more significant drop-off.

Sherlock Holmes is a far cry from The Phantom, if thats your point. Tarzan is a log dead character that will also open big the next time a well financed and plotted and realized feature is "revisited". Both are Hollywood traditional characters. I expected it to do well given the casting and provenance behind it. But I also see it falling down fast as it looks a lot like Wild Wild West: lots of noise and action adding up to nothing solid. Fast food.

Yes I could, but the problem today is that the "blockbusters" are all brainless, plotless PG-pablum made for the average ADD-afflicted 8-year old. Back when Lucas and Spielberg were young, they made high quality movies that *also* appealed to the mass market.

Are you *really* comparing the above movies to stuff like Transformers 2, Terminator Salvation, Wolverine, etc?