• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you grade?

95 posts in this topic

How do you grade your comics?

I don't start with a 10 and work my way from there.

For me a book initially shouts out a general grade at first glance. Can't be helped. Handle a ton of books and that tends to happen. So I am holding a Menace #11 and my first immediate impression is the book is Very Fine-ish. The first thing I do is smell the book looking for the acidic smell. The second thing I always do is a page count. As I do the page count I also check the page quality and check for defects such as for writing, tears, cutouts, bleed through from amateur resto, staple quality etc. If either of these fail no need to continue (except for the writing - depends on ther nature and extent. I once checked out a half dozen FIGHT comics and every single woman's nipple had been colored in with black pencil. So no need to look further).

Psychologically I have that Very Fine-ish in mind as I start a closer examination for restoration and defects. Basically I am looking for things that would place it above or below that VFish grade. If I find enough to bring it down to, say, a Fine then I continue with that baseline in mind, until I reach an agreement with myself.

Perhaps that initial impression DOES derive from a comparison to a 10, but it is not a conscious or deliberate thing.

Very well put.

I immediately "place" a book's grade upon first sight and then fine tune it.

I hand my book to my wife.

Scott Talmadge from CGC told me that women make terrific graders.

They notice little details and they don't get distracted by the artwork.

I agree on women and details. My wife caught many of the CT on books I would have missed. She can look at any books in a slab and tell me "this is why it is only a 9.0, you see that little scratch over here, dent there, etc.."

Boozad. Show me or anyone else where I have said you can't grade a book? I'll be waiting... Quote away... I wont hold my breath, sorry. But your not going to ever find that statement... Actually from what I have seen via your scans. I'm pretty much in agreement in the grades you give most of your book's. Happy New Year!!

I'm about the same as everyone here. You get an idea at first glance. I usually check the covers first for staples and edge tears. Then I open it up to the centerfold to check the staples there. Make sure nothings loose. Then I check each individual page for tears, cutouts, corner chips, and go from there. I'm lucky I have some friends who collect as well and we get together regularly to grade books, trade, and look at collections. My last CGC submission had 7 of 8 books within .5. I am still learning though. Some people grade a little tighter, some looser. Then theres those who cant grade period. lol

DRX

I'll share my process. Obviously this doesn't apply to inexpensive books, but it has served me well when grading higher profile books.

1 - Quickly scan the book front and back and estimate the highest possible grade and lowest feasible grade. Write these two numbers down on a piece of paper.

2 - Closely examine the book using the OSGG guidelines to narrow down grade. 90% of the time, I arrive at the grade level that is the midpoint between my highest and lowest estimate grades. If this happens, I know I am probably on target.

3 - Final sanity check is scan Heritage archives for exemplars in similar grade range. If results appear consistent with my grade, it's a done deal and I'm satisfied I have arrived at a fair grade.

My wife would sometimes play along with me in the grading contests. She doesn't know anything about OS or CGC Guidelines, but she simply judges the book's appearance "on a scale of 1 to 10." Just based on this, her guesses were never more than 1.0 off from actual CGC grade.

Scott was a good guy, very helpful. I miss him.

What a coincidence....I grade comics the same way I grade Women...I start at the edges and work my way in :cloud9: .......I can't believe I just said that. Seriously, I do start with the edges....and progress with a process of elimination mentality. Certain defects are NOT allowed at a certain level....period. Without absolutes it is at best an excercise in futility. Like geometry, one must proceed based on the given. I try to look at grading in the same light that time carves a canyon from the landscape. What is NOT there can be more important than what is. The trick is learning which absolutes form the subset of the majority of fellow collectors' consensus. That way my assessment has currency and application in the pursuit of my hobby. My most important rule is that I never grade a book higher or lower than what I would find acceptable if I were the buyer. This attaches consistency to my system and is the foundation for it's acceptance....which is important when developing an abstract form of communication or language, which is what grading really is. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

What a coincidence....I grade comics the same way I grade Women...I start at the edges and work my way in :cloud9: .......I can't believe I just said that. Seriously, I do start with the edges....and progress with a process of elimination mentality. Certain defects are NOT allowed at a certain level....period. Without absolutes it is at best an excercise in futility. Like geometry, one must proceed based on the given. I try to look at grading in the same light that time carves a canyon from the landscape. What is NOT there can be more important than what is. The trick is learning which absolutes form the subset of the majority of fellow collectors' consensus. That way my assessment has currency and application in the pursuit of my hobby. My most important rule is that I never grade a book higher or lower than what I would find acceptable if I were the buyer. This attaches consistency to my system and is the foundation for it's acceptance....which is important when developing an abstract form of communication or language, which is what grading really is. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Shakespeare IS alive! :baiting:

Boozad. Show me or anyone else where I have said you can't grade a book? I'll be waiting... Quote away... I wont hold my breath, sorry. But your not going to ever find that statement...

You're.

A board member that has Booz then Ad in there name. Drinks way to much I would think. Everything is fine with me. Look within past the booze induced fog.. I'll put my comic book knowledge against this Booz hound any day of the week. This would include grading as well. Oh this is a fact, not an opinion...Humble or otherwise,

Boozad. Show me or anyone else where I have said you can't grade a book? I'll be waiting... Quote away... I wont hold my breath, sorry. But your not going to ever find that statement...

You're.

A board member that has Booz then Ad in there name. Drinks way to much I would think. Everything is fine with me. Look within past the booze induced fog.. I'll put my comic book knowledge against this Booz hound any day of the week. This would include grading as well. Oh this is a fact, not an opinion...Humble or otherwise,

:o

You're.

:o

Is your first name Ben? :insane:

You're.

BOOYA :tonofbricks:

Front cover, back cover, interior. Pausing on step three for a whiff of the pages. I do systematically count defects to assign the grade as I go along

Interestingly enough I also take a whiff of the pages, but generally for the books I'm buying.

Front cover, back cover, interior. Pausing on step three for a whiff of the pages. I do systematically count defects to assign the grade as I go along

Interestingly enough I also take a whiff of the pages, but generally for the books I'm buying.

Whiffing is imperative. You simply must know where the book has been

:)

Trmoore54...Please show me where I said Boozad couldn't grade a book?? I said I would/will put my knowledge up against his anytime. I might win or I might loose. Grading, first app., classic covers, etc... Over all general knowledge. There are a lot of people on this board that have a lot of knowledge over me. It's always a learning process. Be that as it may be. I'll put my knowledge up against Boozads anytime.....

Trmoore54...Please show me where I said Boozad couldn't grade a book?? I said I would/will put my knowledge up against his anytime. I might win or I might loose. Grading, first app., classic covers, etc... Over all general knowledge. There are a lot of people on this board that have a lot of knowledge over me. It's always a learning process. Be that as it may be. I'll put my knowledge up against Boozads anytime.....

(shrug) You've mistaken me for someone else (?) (shrug) Are you drunk?