• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the last comic you acquired in 2009?

116 posts in this topic

I posted this in the "this week in your collection" thread too. It's one of my favorite comic books of all time, and you've probably never heard of it.

Just picked this up today from my LCS. Now before you say wtf, is this guy reallly posting a modern book that's not even a 9.8...well...

This book is one of my favorite books of all time. I read this issue probably 1,000 times when I was a kid. I've been looking for a nice high grade copy for a long time to complement my sacred childhood copy. (Only 6 have been graded.)

At one point I did have a nice raw copy, but I gave it to my nephew to try to get him interested in comics.

When I picked up the book in the store and was looking at it, another customer walked by and told me this book was one of his favorite all time books as well. And that he read his copy over 1,000 times too as a kid.

Got it cheap. Less than grading fees cheap. :banana:

Thor385-Copy-1.jpg

The label's hard to read in the picture. It says:

Jim Shooter story, Stan Lee scripts

Erik Larson and Vince Colletta art

Ron Frenz and Al Milgrom cover

Hulk appearance.

I posted this in the "this week in your collection" thread too. It's one of my favorite comic books of all time, and you've probably never heard of it.

Just picked this up today from my LCS. Now before you say wtf, is this guy reallly posting a modern book that's not even a 9.8...well...

This book is one of my favorite books of all time. I read this issue probably 1,000 times when I was a kid. I've been looking for a nice high grade copy for a long time to complement my sacred childhood copy. (Only 6 have been graded.)

At one point I did have a nice raw copy, but I gave it to my nephew to try to get him interested in comics.

When I picked up the book in the store and was looking at it, another customer walked by and told me this book was one of his favorite all time books as well. And that he read his copy over 1,000 times too as a kid.

Got it cheap. Less than grading fees cheap. :banana:

Thor385-Copy-1.jpg

The label's hard to read in the picture. It says:

Jim Shooter story, Stan Lee scripts

Erik Larson and Vince Colletta art

Ron Frenz and Al Milgrom cover

Hulk appearance.

I loved reading that story as a kid too. It was a filler right at the end of Walt Simonson's run. Thor and Hulk duke it out pretty good and in the end when Thor's hammer returns, with his clothes ripped to shred's Hulk expresses some admiration that is rare indeed.

Thor's reflection on who the true "monster" was in their battle is interesting as well.

Good story telling.

My last 2009 purchase was some Cherry's off a board member.

I don't think I bought 40 comics the whole year...a crazy low number for me.

If you're strictly going by books (I picked up some TPBs after this), I think this one was my last purchase - sorry for the poor pic, I haven't received the book yet but this is it - Sandman #1:

sandman1.jpg

If you're strictly going by books (I picked up some TPBs after this), I think this one was my last purchase - sorry for the poor pic, I haven't received the book yet but this is it - Sandman #1:

sandman1.jpg

sweet! :cloud9: how much did you pay? i just got my CGC 9.8 back from CGC. :whee:

sandman1.jpg

sweet! :cloud9: how much did you pay? i just got my CGC 9.8 back from CGC. :whee:

Like your sig :) Congrats on your own 9.8, that's awesome.

I thought I got a great deal at $152 plus shipping, total was $162 I think. I bought it on ebay from an auction that started out low with no reserve, it ended maybe 2 days after Christmas? Maybe the time of year helped me out. I don't know, I was happy with that price though ;)