• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russ Cochran's Editorial in CBM 108...

29 posts in this topic

cool. didnt know you, umm, knew.

Its doable, as we've seen. jeez, even Gareb started Wizard going around convebtions talking up his new mag and now look at it. Theres always comics collectors looking for an interesting read. Good luck!

As a reader,I think there is a crying need for a new magazine that would focus on what CBM did in it's glory days, I stopped reading it several years ago and occ. browse it to see if its gotten better.

From a business standpoint,it would be a tough row to hoe.Most comic shops get their distubution from Diamond and I doubt Diamond would be eager to push a magazine in direct compitition with one of their own.

However,you might have a small advantage in that you have forum members scattered all over the place who might be an asset in distributing the issues at conventions all over the place and also have some very good knowledge on the subject.

Start it out as a small scale vanity project and see if it has any wings to it.Stranger things have happened.If Jerry Bails and the like could succeed using dittos and xerox's,why can't someone today with a desktop.

Lets talk. I'd be interested in this.

And I've already sent an email to CBM. The magazine, which used to be stellar, is a joke now, an absolute joke. Cochran's obsession with all things outside of the realm of comics makes the magazine almost unreadable.

And, by the way, isn't the magazine he's talking about already published? Isn't it called The Comics Journal?

Have to absolutely agreee with you here. I believe that Russ C. must be losing contact with all of his readers since he seems to be going in the opposite direction to what the readers want. I have been a regular subscriber since the complimentary copy of issue #1 from Gary Carter. Gary made the magazine seem like a fan generated magazine and was always very open and receptive to the readers and gladly welcomed our input. If Russ moves to his new direction, I will let my subscription lapsed when it becomes due.

The book use to be a must read and now it has deteriorated to the point that I only take a quick flip through the magazine when I get it in the mail. The odd issues such as #107 highlighting the Fox books with the article by Jon Berk was an excellent read. But these are too few and far between now.

I used to really look forward to the magazine every month and read it from cover to cover once I got it. The first run by Carter (without Geepi) up to issue #21 was especially good and featured fantastic articles which I used to read over and over again. These included:

1) Relative rarity and demand for Showcase #1 - 40

2) 50 rarest Golden Age books

3) First 1,000 comic books in history

4) Pedigree articles

5) Sean Linkenbach's Sleepers

6) Relative rarity & demand for Adventure, More, Flash, etc.

7) Etc., etc., etc.....

Is it just me or do some of you other forum members remember these early CBM's with a nostalgic feeling?

The reason collectors would pour over the Ostreet Monthly & original newsprint CBM by Gary Carter is that was the best way to track back issue trends & read regional market reports. Now we have minute by minute analyses, 7 x 24 via these INTERACTIVE forums, eBay, Heritage archive searches. It's a wonderful world that we live in without having to pay for $1,000 monthly long distance phone/fax bills. 893blahblah.gif

The reason collectors would pour over the Ostreet Monthly & original newsprint CBM by Gary Carter is that was the best way to track back issue trends & read regional market reports. Now we have minute by minute analyses, 7 x 24 via these INTERACTIVE forums, eBay, Heritage archive searches. It's a wonderful world that we live in without having to pay for $1,000 monthly long distance phone/fax bills. 893blahblah.gif

I believe this is true for the Overstreet Monthly Updates since they incorporated regional market reports along with an updated price guide. I don't think this applies for the first run of CBM since they were basically limited to the articles only and were an absolute blast to read.

Oh, maybe I am confusing CBM with Playboy here. 27_laughing.gif