• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

-EC Comics-SURVIVOR SERIES-Round 5

EC Comics-SURVIVOR SERIES-Round 5  

168 members have voted

1. 1. EC Comics-SURVIVOR SERIES-Round 5

28 posts in this topic

Welcome to Round 5 of the inaugural Survivor Series for EC comics! :whee:

Now for the top 10! (worship)

We will be voting off our 5 least favorite covers from the list provided.

The goal is to determine the greatest EC cover of all time.

If you hover your mouse over the thumbnail picture, you can see the name and issue number of the comic. Click on the thumbnail if you wish to see the full-size scan.

The poll is at the bottom of this post.

This is an 8-round marathon. These rounds will last 2 days each. We'll vote off 24 in round 1, 20 in round 2, 20 in round 3, 10 in round 4, 5 in round 5, 2 in round 6, 1 in round 7, and then the final showdown to crown our champion. :acclaim:

I'll repeat once more, please vote for your least favorite covers here.

Lastly, after you vote, let's hear your thoughts on the contest. :popcorn:

Thanks everyone, now to the books.....

crimesuspenstories20.jpg

crimesuspenstories22.jpg

HauntofFear17.jpg

shocksuspenstories6.jpg

vaultofhorror30.jpg

vaultofhorror35.jpg

weirdfantasy21.jpg

WeirdScience14b.jpg

weirdscience16.jpg

weirdsciencefantasy29.jpg

Okay, now this is tough. :frustrated:

I voted off Haunt of Fear 17, Shock Suspenstories 6, Vault Of Horror 30, Weird Science 14, and Weird Science-Fantasy 29.

I feel quite dirty now.

What the heck...I go away for a week and we're already at round 5, and frankly there are a lot of lame covers left. What happened to all the classic EC covers???? Those two Weird Sciences are pedestrian, and some of the others are middle of the road. VH 30 is just gimmicky, and frankly so are the hanging and decapitation covers, although I know they are iconic EC covers.

Oh well, at least Weird SF 29, SS 6 and VH 35 are still alive.

Whoever the hell is voting to remove Weird Fantasy 21 or Weird Science 16 is a friggin . There I said it. I mean what the hell are you thinking??? Im so utterly disgusted I can barely type.

Whoever the hell is voting to remove Weird Fantasy 21 or Weird Science 16 is a friggin . There I said it. I mean what the hell are you thinking??? Im so utterly disgusted I can barely type.

Totally agree on the Weird Fantasy 21... not so much on the Weird Science 16... all of my favourite Weird Science books have already been voted off (or never appeared in the first place)... I'm trying to figure out why VOH 35 is so well-liked?!? Johnny Craig is far from my top-rated cover artists list (although I like his interiors just fine (nice consistency and story-telling ability)... just sayin'...

how can these Vault of Horrors still be around? the concepts are fine, but the execution is just ordinary... compared to the others.

(worship) (worship) (worship)

(worship) (worship) (worship):preach:

how can these Vault of Horrors still be around? the concepts are fine, but the execution is just ordinary... compared to the others.

(worship) (worship) (worship):preach:

It's all a matter of taste as you know...some covers I consider pedestrian are mystifyingly still in the running, some our fellow boardies are on the money. Agreed over the WF 21, but I have a feeling one of the two Frazetta covers may win over ones that are there for notoriety's sake, like the two CSSs...although I do think they're classics.

Since we're busting on the covers that are left... :grin: ... I'm intrigued that this Haunt of Fear has made it so far. It's probably my least favorite of the mid-to-late-run ... and I actually do like Ingels' covers a lot! Just too busy, and kind of ugly to look at IMO.

Weird Science 16?!? Seriously?

I am shocked it even made it this far.

I'm with you. It's not one of my all-time favorites, but it's still cool. I think maybe people have an attachment to it b/c it's supposed to be the inspiration for Mars Attacks?

And did you ever find a good copy of SSS #9? (a cover I like better than WS # 16).

I'm with you. It's not one of my all-time favorites, but it's still cool. I think maybe people have an attachment to it b/c it's supposed to be the inspiration for Mars Attacks?

And did you ever find a good copy of SSS #9? (a cover I like better than WS # 16).

It's not much more than a pedestrian sci-fi scene to me...nothing new or particularly interesting. Sure, it's rendered nicely by Wood, but this isn't a "best technical drawing" contest. If it was, we could just declare one of the two Frazettas the winner and save all the effort.

Nope, still missing SSS 9. Seems to be a hard one to find in 7.0-8.0 shape and I don't want to shell out $1000+ for a Gaines. The search continues!

I really like the Weird Science 14. I think its one of the best covers ever. The Weird Science 16 is almost as good cuz it has a cooler alien. The Weird Science Fantasy 21 is awesome, cuz its Frazetta, but I still don't like it as much as the Wood covers. I never really cared for the other Frazetta cover Weird Fantasy 21. Her pose is off somehow and the monster is kinda stupid lookin with those arms.

The Haunt of Fear 17 is downright UGLY. The two Crime Suspense Stories covers don't seem like very good art to me. The scene itself is shocking.....but the artwork is nothing to brag about. The Vault of Horror 30 is pretty good IMO .....go figure. hm .....and although I don't like the subject matter on the Vault of Horror 35 in the least, I like the artwork.

HOF 17 looks ugly compared to the better rendered covers. But, the coloring and Ingels unique linework add up to an impressionistic effect, which I like. Not a best cover winner, but a unified successful piece IMO. Its got spirit, and isnt just merely a professionally acceptable piece like the Vaults are.