• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

-EC Comics-SURVIVOR SERIES-Round 5

EC Comics-SURVIVOR SERIES-Round 5  

168 members have voted

1. 1. EC Comics-SURVIVOR SERIES-Round 5

28 posts in this topic

HOF 17 looks ugly compared to the better rendered covers. But, the coloring and Ingels unique linework add up to an impressionistic effect, which I like. Not a best cover winner, but a unified successful piece IMO. Its got spirit, and isnt just merely a professionally acceptable piece like the Vaults are.

So it's basically the homely girl that can change her own tire, doesn't need a man, and owns 3 cats?

Sure, it's rendered nicely by Wood, but this isn't a "best technical drawing" contest. If it was, we could just declare one of the two Frazettas the winner and save all the effort.

(thumbs u

My favorite horror theme are covers that capture a moment in time right before things are about to become horrific. And Vault 35 is one of the best.

Since we're busting on the covers that are left... :grin: ... I'm intrigued that this Haunt of Fear has made it so far. It's probably my least favorite of the mid-to-late-run ... and I actually do like Ingels' covers a lot! Just too busy, and kind of ugly to look at IMO.

Hey fellow New Yorker :hi:

I agree, I never liked that HOF much, looks a bit sloppy and I don't like how that circle covers the eye of that zombie. If it was perfectly centered on it maybe, but it just looks weird. Just not a very nice composition either.

I don't care too much for the Frazetta/Williamson cover either.

all of my favourite Weird Science books have already been voted off (or never appeared in the first place)

Why didn't you nominate them? (shrug)

Don't own 'em... thus no pictures of them...

all of my favourite Weird Science books have already been voted off (or never appeared in the first place)

Why didn't you nominate them? (shrug)

Don't own 'em... thus no pictures of them...

Seriously? Every EC ever made is at The GCD. Along with 252,700 other cover scans. You didn't have to own them to nominate them.

http://www.comics.org/

Sure, it's rendered nicely by Wood, but this isn't a "best technical drawing" contest. If it was, we could just declare one of the two Frazettas the winner and save all the effort.

(thumbs u

My favorite horror theme are covers that capture a moment in time right before things are about to become horrific. And Vault 35 is one of the best.

I agree. That VoH #35 cover tells a story and is a great little snapshot in time. There's a lot of tension there too - that guy is clearly winding up to hit one out of the park. Not to bring another genre into this, but in a way, it reminds me of Buscema's cover to 'Silver Surfer' #4.

I'm also not big on covers (or movies either) that attempt to scare me by grossing me out. Broken necks and severed heads are usually nauseating, not frightening. I do like the VoH #30 though, because it pokes fun at itself with that little sign in the background.

I know not everyone feels the same, but the Weird Science #16 is a personal favorite of mine (and if I'm not mistaken, the original art sold for 200k cash last year, so I don't think that I'm alone in feeling that way). It just seems to scream 50s Sci-Fi. Feldstein's 'Weird Fantasy' #17 is one more cover that hits me the same way.

There are a few covers that never made it into the running that probably should have... and if I wasn't so computer illiterate I would have downloaded a few. A really fun subject though, that maybe we can revisit sometime down the road.