• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 in 7.5 up fer grabs

101 posts in this topic

This is my old copy and it was basically a NM book with one chip out of the cover....and you can't even see the chip because it blends into the background paper.

Ummm, you do realize we're talking about the AF 15 posted in original message (with the monstrous and very noticeable chunks out of the front cover) and NOT your book, right?

Ummm. Yes I do, and the discussion had turned towards the pros and cons of Marvel chipping on graded books...sooo....uummmm....I offered my opinion....and then explained why it was my opinion and cited another example. I think.

:preach:

"A book that has MC will have it today and in the morn when I wake up."

:preach:

We're talking about a book with massive and extremely noticeable Marvel chipping, and Roy states that it doesn't matter because *his* book has a microscopic and almost-invisible Marvel chip... the two books aren't even in the same Universe.

Not really. For one the chip was not microscopic, it's quite visible in hand as is all the prechipping (rips). I simply showed one example to illustrate that Marvel chipping is not (and should not be) frowned up as some might expect it to be. There are plenty of collectors who don't mind Marvel chipping no matter how severe it is. The reason I picked that example was so that people could see that it would be illogical to discredit all books with chipping outright and out of hand. There's tons of room between what the AF #15 and the JIM #90 represent and lots of room for people to find value verses eye appeal.

Another thing to consider when discussing Marvel chipping: There are some books that almost never appear without that defect so sometimes if you are looking for a specific book with "no chipping" in a particular grade you may not have a choice. JIM #90 is one of those books.

Finally, to illustrate that the amount of Marvel chipping is irrelevant to some collectors, I sold an FF #1 CGC 5.5 two years ago that was a walk in the park VF or better for over all structure. The reason for the downgrade? Lots of Marvel chipping down the right side. The owner loves the book and told me the chipping doesn't bother him one bit.

I would guess most collectors would frown upon the marvel chipping especially if they have to $30k+ on a copy.

We're talking about a book with massive and extremely noticeable Marvel chipping, and Roy states that it doesn't matter because *his* book has a microscopic and almost-invisible Marvel chip... the two books aren't even in the same Universe.

Not really. For one the chip was not microscopic, it's quite visible in hand as is all the prechipping (rips). I simply showed one example to illustrate that Marvel chipping is not (and should not be) frowned up as some might expect it to be. There are plenty of collectors who don't mind Marvel chipping no matter how severe it is. The reason I picked that example was so that people could see that it would be illogical to discredit all books with chipping outright and out of hand. There's tons of room between what the AF #15 and the JIM #90 represent and lots of room for people to find value verses eye appeal.

Another thing to consider when discussing Marvel chipping: There are some books that almost never appear without that defect so sometimes if you are looking for a specific book with "no chipping" in a particular grade you may not have a choice. JIM #90 is one of those books.

Finally, to illustrate that the amount of Marvel chipping is irrelevant to some collectors, I sold an FF #1 CGC 5.5 two years ago that was a walk in the park VF or better for over all structure. The reason for the downgrade? Lots of Marvel chipping down the right side. The owner loves the book and told me the chipping doesn't bother him one bit.

I sold an FF #1 CGC 5.5 two years ago that was a walk in the park VF or better for over all structure. The reason for the downgrade? Lots of Marvel chipping down the right side.

No, there had to be other reasons, as CGC doesn't limit the grade that low for production chipping, and doesn't count it as a true defect.

I sold an FF #1 CGC 5.5 two years ago that was a walk in the park VF or better for over all structure. The reason for the downgrade? Lots of Marvel chipping down the right side.

No, there had to be other reasons, as CGC doesn't limit the grade that low for production chipping, and doesn't count it as a true defect.

Vince, I'm 100% sure it was downgraded for the chipping as I had it graded myself on site in Chicago two years ago and spoke to Borock about it after it was graded.

Here is the book.

FantasticFour105-08.jpg

Vince, I'm 100% sure it was downgraded for the chipping as I had it graded myself on site in Chicago two years ago and spoke to Borock about it after it was graded.

So yet another undocumented change in CGC's grading formula? I can remember early on, CGC stating their "we don't count Marvel chipping as a defect" and "it only limits it from the high grades" explanation when some chipped-up-freakshows started showing up in CGC slabs.

So I guess that's another reason to stay away from this "old label" CGC 7.5, as it's really a CGC 5.5-6.0 under the current regime.

and here's the nerf's (a whole grade lower)...

:whistle:

af15front.JPG

Nerf has the BEST 6.5 out there....and in my opinion much better than the 7.5 presented in this thread!!

+1

And I love the fact that, not trusting the postal service, he DROVE to Bama to pick the book up. That's dedication. :eyeroll:

fun stuff.

Even though Montgomery had me scared out of my mind

(with bars on the windows of McDonald's type of crime there)

I still made the best of it.

Thanks for the all complements guys.

This is a key I hope to hold on to for awhile.

(thumbs u

So yet another undocumented change in CGC's grading formula? I can remember early on, CGC stating their "we don't count Marvel chipping as a defect" and "it only limits it from the high grades" explanation when some chipped-up-freakshows started showing up in CGC slabs.

So I guess that's another reason to stay away from this "old label" CGC 7.5, as it's really a CGC 5.5-6.0 under the current regime.

As far as I know there has always been a fairly consistent relationship between the size of the chips missing and the grade given. Not an exact science as there are always going to be exceptions. It's also important to note that pre-chips (where the chip is torn, but not torn right off the book) are not downgraded as badly as actual chipping. We'll all agree that CGC is not perfect though and this AF #15 may either be one of those books that was either over graded for some reason or the rest of the book was so spectacular in hand that the book got a little bump (either unintentionally or intentionally) making it look over graded.

IMO it's a bit loose and that does happen but I keep in mind that it really is tough to accurately take into account all the characteristics of a book from just a scan. I remember asking Steve Borock to grade a book for me once from a scan once and he said he just wouldn't do it. The feel and smell of the book are factored into the grade just as much as eye appeal are.