• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 in 7.5 up fer grabs

101 posts in this topic

I am the opposite here... I much prefer a few tranverse spine stress marks than chunks and chips missing from the cover... just such an eyesore and turnoff...

Agreed, and if you're spending that kind of money on a funny book, at least get a complete copy.

I disagree.

I'm with Ze in that usually I would much prefer a pristine book with a few chips out of it over a book with creases bringing the grade down. More than simply eye appeal, the less worn out book with the chipping often may also feel stronger in hand because there is less actual wear to the structure of the book.

For me the high grade characteristics overtake the small missing chips.

This is my old copy and it was basically a NM book with one chip out of the cover....and you can't even see the chip because it blends into the background paper. Cost me about 1/4 or 1/5 what a higher grade copy might cost me.

JourneyIntoMystery90CGC8_0WhiteMoun.jpg

This is my old copy and it was basically a NM book with one chip out of the cover....and you can't even see the chip because it blends into the background paper.

Ummm, you do realize we're talking about the AF 15 posted in original message (with the monstrous and very noticeable chunks out of the front cover) and NOT your book, right?

Nerf, unless those are creases on the book and not scratches on the case, that grade judging from the FC alone is crazy! Sweet book!

Thanks man.

All the defects are on the back just the way I wanted it.

:cloud9:

Nice presentation! It looks 8.0 or better!

This is my old copy and it was basically a NM book with one chip out of the cover....and you can't even see the chip because it blends into the background paper.

Ummm, you do realize we're talking about the AF 15 posted in original message (with the monstrous and very noticeable chunks out of the front cover) and NOT your book, right?

Ummm. Yes I do, and the discussion had turned towards the pros and cons of Marvel chipping on graded books...sooo....uummmm....I offered my opinion....and then explained why it was my opinion and cited another example. I think.

:preach:

That is a sweet looking AF #15:

0014043001.1.jpg

Not very sweet Marvel chipping though. :eek:

that is what I was thinking...down right UGLY for a 7.5...I have seen 5.0's at 10K much more attractive (shrug)

Really, 5.0? Scans please.

Chipping aside this book is quite stunning.

Guess it all comes down to ones personal preference on chipping. I personally hate it, but tolerate it because of how easily it can occur. Makes the rest of the book all the more impressive imho.

overall, my former 5.0, for one

af15-1-1.jpg

This 5.0 and Peewee's 7.0 are infinitely more attractive copies than the 7.5

Years ago, a well known collector sent me a set of Marvel keys in trade for a Bob Kane painting. All were graded by the collector as VF. All looked like the 7.5 with the Marvel chipping. Back they went. So, apparently he was close to the technical grade that is accepted these days, but not the acceptable defects for my money. (Or painting as it were) But, to each his own right? Some would prefer a 9.4 looking book with some Marvel chipping that lands in the 7.5 range. Others (like me) would prefer a 7.5 with some minor defects that are less obtrusive.

Ummm. Yes I do, and the discussion had turned towards the pros and cons of Marvel chipping on graded books...sooo....uummmm....I offered my opinion....and then explained why it was my opinion and cited another example. I think.

Next time try and use a similar book so that your opinion might have even a little in common with the discussion at hand. (thumbs u

[some would prefer a 9.4 looking book with some Marvel chipping that lands in the 7.5 range.

But originally, Marvel chipping didn't impact the grade, or at least only limited it from the ultra-high grades. I've seen higher-than 7.5's with chipping, so there are obviously other defects that dropped it to a CGC 7.5.

If CGC actually counted production chipping as a "grading defect" and hammered these down to the 2.5-4.0 that "missing chunks out of cover" would entail on a regular book, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Next time try and use a similar book so that your opinion might have even a little in common with the discussion at hand. (thumbs u

Tyrone Shoelaces...

has got a Basket Ball Jones?

:grin:

What happened to the kinder genteler JC? rantrant

I wish I had time to respond to you but I don't. The post was directed towards people's dislike of Marvel chipping. I shed some light on Marvel chipping and what I thought of it.

I miss the old JC. The one that went away.

:insane:

This 5.0 in hand looks much better than the 7.5

That is a sweet looking AF #15:

0014043001.1.jpg

Not very sweet Marvel chipping though. :eek:

that is what I was thinking...down right UGLY for a 7.5...I have seen 5.0's at 10K much more attractive (shrug)

Really, 5.0? Scans please.

Chipping aside this book is quite stunning.

Guess it all comes down to ones personal preference on chipping. I personally hate it, but tolerate it because of how easily it can occur. Makes the rest of the book all the more impressive imho.

overall, my former 5.0, for one

af15-1-1.jpg

What happened to the kinder genteler JC? rantrant

I thought I worded that as nicely as possible.. (shrug)

We're talking about a book with massive and extremely noticeable Marvel chipping, and Roy states that it doesn't matter because *his* book has a microscopic and almost-invisible Marvel chip... the two books aren't even in the same Universe.

Nerf has the BEST 6.5 out there....and in my opinion much better than the 7.5 presented in this thread!!

thanx bro.

When I saw it I had to have it...

I drove 17 hours roundtrip to pick this up from Brent in AL,

and haven't looked back since.

I almost got emotional as I passed over the certified check.

Brent asked "what wrong?"...

and I said "I have been waiting for this book my whole life".

:cloud9:

Anyway, you got a smoker there yourself peewee, Congrats!

(thumbs u