• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ya Know, Hellboy's Not Too Bad

43 posts in this topic

I often post on here about how terrible many Marvel/DC Comics movies are, like the execrable Daredevil, Catwoman, Batman & Robin, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four and Punisher movies, along with the obligatory Spidey 3, so I wanted to post that I actually got around to seeing the Hellboy movies and they're not half-bad.

The Movie Channel was showing HellBoy II in HD over the holidays and I happened to switch it over just for curiosity's sake, and it was a blast. Not a great movie, but it was a lot of FUN and had some nice action set pieces. I watched Hellboy 1 in HD the other night, and it was both better (more formidable/cooler enemies) and worse (slow in places, unneeded love triangle) than the sequel, but Perlman was great in both.

Overall, Hellboy 1 and 2 were surprisingly good, especially compared to the flowing river of BS that accounts for about 90% of comic book flicks.

I think the first Hellboy movie is quite good. One of the better comic movies made. I did not like the second nearly as much, although it was visually stunning enough to get me to buy it on Blu-Ray. It's pretty simplistic, but I think the "enemy" in Hellboy II was too sympathetic. It's pretty easy to get behind a hero that needs to stop Rasputin from unleashing demonic Elder Gods upon the earth.

I thought that was what made Hellboy II so interesting, that he's being asked to fight and kill the "last of their kind" in several different scenes - really morally questionable stuff - not only the end, but also the fight with the Elemental, which we'll "never see its like again", and made for a very interesting showdown.

I like them both but Hellboy 2 is the better movie and more fun is an apt description.

Luke Goss is great as Prince Nuada and Perlman is fantastic as Hellboy. If you will recall Goss played the baddy vampire Nomak in Blade 2. along with Perlmans other vampire baddy.

But both final showdowns ended on a downer note, and HB2 had the chick sacrificing herself rather than Hellboy actively doing anything.

SPOILER ALERT!!! (tsk)

Dude the movie was released July 2008. No spoilers exist.

But both final showdowns ended on a downer note, and HB2 had the chick sacrificing herself rather than Hellboy actively doing anything.

SPOILER ALERT!!! (tsk)

On that front...

spl-3153.jpg

SPOILER ALERT!!! (tsk)

that doesn't mean dog poo. (shrug) i still haven't seen E.T. or the titanic. :baiting:

SPOILER ALERT!!! (tsk)

that doesn't mean dog poo. (shrug) i still haven't seen E.T. or the titanic. :baiting:

Then you REALLY don't want to click on my spoiler link in the post before yours. :flamed:

SPOILER ALERT!!! (tsk)

Then you REALLY don't want to click on my spoiler link in the post before yours. :flamed:

I have the sinking feeling you are right...

:/

SPOILER ALERT!!! (tsk)

I doubt at this point you will see them. :makepoint:

I often post on here about how terrible many Marvel/DC Comics movies are, like the execrable Daredevil, Catwoman, Batman & Robin, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four and Punisher movies, along with the obligatory Spidey 3, so I wanted to post that I actually got around to seeing the Hellboy movies and they're not half-bad.

The Movie Channel was showing HellBoy II in HD over the holidays and I happened to switch it over just for curiosity's sake, and it was a blast. Not a great movie, but it was a lot of FUN and had some nice action set pieces. I watched Hellboy 1 in HD the other night, and it was both better (more formidable/cooler enemies) and worse (slow in places, unneeded love triangle) than the sequel, but Perlman was great in both.

Overall, Hellboy 1 and 2 were surprisingly good, especially compared to the flowing river of BS that accounts for about 90% of comic book flicks.

have you read any of HB. Cause the comics are even better.

Glad to see you came around on these two movies.

If you read the comics I bet you'll come to the realize independent Modern Age books are better than you noted in the past.

Hellboy, Walking Dead, Goon all have some amazing original material.

Yeah, I thought both were great entertainment. I think the first edged it for me, but Perlman was indeed excellent in both.

Not too stupid, not too patronising, not too serious, good effects, good performances, nice scenes, good humour. I'd probably go B for II and B+ for I

(thumbs u