• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brit-Pack Dealer Member discounts?

109 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

I was wondering if there are any of the Brit-Pack here who are dealers, and who maybe operate a bit of a discount for fellow Brit Board members? :wishluck:

If so, I would like to know if there is a qualifying spend and/or if there is a certain period of time that one has to be a forum member.

I am interested primarily in Bronze & Golden age books from the horror genre.

Thanks in advance. Any pms on the matter will be treated in confidence.

Freddie :foryou:

Ok guys.

I know I'm new and all that but come on???

I've bought one book so far. It was from The States and the service was first class.

I have dollars to spend.

Zero replies and zero pms.

So there are no UK Dealers here?, and if there are none prepared to even enter into some dialogue about sales? (shrug)

Do I smell?

Do I take my business to our stripey/starred cousins? ???

I guess rumours of a recession have been greatly exagerrated :whatev:

Ok guys.

I know I'm new and all that but come on???

I've bought one book so far. It was from The States and the service was first class.

I have dollars to spend.

Zero replies and zero pms.

So there are no UK Dealers here?, and if there are none prepared to even enter into some dialogue about sales? (shrug)

Do I smell?

Do I take my business to our stripey/starred cousins? ???

I guess rumours of a recession have been greatly exagerrated :whatev:

There are a number of ways of obtaining discount from dealers.

(1) They're having a sale.

(2) You're a member of a 'loyalty' scheme with certain levels of qualification.

(3) You order a batch of books and ask if there's any room for movement on the price for bulk.

(4) You enquire about a specific book and ask what would be the lowest price they could go to.

There are a number of ways of not obtaining discount from dealers.

(1) Asking them what they're going to give you to tempt you to spend your money with them when you have zero track-record with them and they don't even know your real name.

(2) Calling them out on a public forum with snidey comments because they haven't broken your door down with cool offers.

As the old saying goes, it's not what you say, it's how you say it and unfortunately, this was not the best way of building a relationship with a dealer. And in a hobby such as our own...emotive and supposedly fun...partnering with a dealer is the best way to go. This is not the way to go about it, though.

This is rather like being told at a show by a dealer that you can't open a bag and inspect the book unless you're guaranteeing you'll be buying it. Or a dealer telling you you can't look through the boxes unless you're going to be spending at least $100.

It's not a crime, but it's poor form, IMHO. (thumbs u

Fair enough what you say, but I did not call anyone out because no-one responded.

I did leave it 24 hours (I think) before re-posting, and as I said in my initial query, I was happy to accept pms and keep it private.

All I wanted to know if there were Dealers who operate a discount scheme?

I am quite happy to give personal details on conclusion of any deals.

As there is nobody interested, thats quite ok.

I will just buy my books from the States. The only downside of this is waiting longer for them to arrive is all.

I respect your views if a little over sensitive, and I apologise for any offence caused to ANY Brit Dealer here.

Thanks for replying.

Freddie (thumbs u

Freddie, like FT said, it's probably best to try to get to know a dealer before trying to get member discount out of him. What part of the UK are you in? Maybe one of the dealers here is in your area. (shrug)

Freddie, like FT said, it's probably best to try to get to know a dealer before trying to get member discount out of him. What part of the UK are you in? Maybe one of the dealers here is in your area. (shrug)

Hi Gaz. I'm from Leeds, live in Maldon and commute to Liverpool.

I have been known to sell the odd car, so i don't know what the fuss is about really, but obviously so many people have been stung around here, and there are so many cowboys like Robocop it seems, that I can sort of understand all the mistrust.

I have sold countless motors to total strangers who have been referred to me. A guy will approach me and ask for a certain car, say a Fiesta for example.

I will say how much do you wanna spend?

He'll say I'm lookin for one nice for 3 grand.

I'll say well I can do that, but I've got a really nice one with all the exes for 3300.

He'll come and look at it and say, Its beautiful but I've only got 3100 max.

I'll say, what the hell, its yours if you want it.

Job done.

I don't know the guy from Adam, but he's a customer who's putting money in my pocket, and I know he'll come back to me when he upgrades because my cars are sweet, and my after sales service is first class.

I don't care who he is, if he's got the readies I will sell it to him.

But then comics seem far more complicated it seems hm

The very important difference being he's told you what he wants and how much he's prepared to spend. That allows you to gauge what you have in the specific deal and what you can accept to ensure you don't take a bath.

This would fall under option (4) on my 'how to obtain a discount' guide.

And I am slightly bemused by...

I will just buy my books from the States. The only downside of this is waiting longer for them to arrive is all.

It seems a bit 'rattles out of pram' to me? (shrug) Are you saying that, unless you get offered a discount in advance, on unspecified goods, you won't shop with UK dealers, even though you'll save on shipping and their baseline prices might be way below the US going rate? (shrug)

The very important difference being he's told you what he wants and how much he's prepared to spend. That allows you to gauge what you have in the specific deal and what you can accept to ensure you don't take a bath.

It seems a bit 'rattles out of pram' to me? (shrug) Are you saying that, unless you get offered a discount in advance, on unspecified goods, you won't shop with UK dealers, even though you'll save on shipping and their baseline prices might be way below the US going rate? (shrug)

gonna love to see this answer :popcorn:

Nope, I don't get all upset or emotional about stuff like that.

I just like 'the deal'. Haggling is in my blood, I won't buy for stated price. If I don't get a discount, I won't buy is all. Thats just me.

My first book I got a discount of $50.

If people are'nt prepared to negotiate, I'm out.

Any collectible I buy is only worth what I'm prepared to pay, no matter what any guide may say. The same applies to cars or most commodoties.

Its a buyer's market.

If people are inflexible, I move along the bus.

Its not personal, its business :)

I just like 'the deal'. Haggling is in my blood, I won't buy for stated price. If I don't get a discount, I won't buy is all. Thats just me.

Any collectible I buy is only worth what I'm prepared to pay, no matter what any guide may say. The same applies to cars or most commodoties.

Its a buyer's market.

So if I had a Fantastic Four, slabbed at 9.2, for sale and I was asking £49.99 (about $80, for the benefit of the audience), you'd want it for less, otherwise you wouldn't consider buying it? (shrug)

Its a buyer's market.

So if I had a Fantastic Four, slabbed at 9.2, for sale and I was asking £49.99 (about $80, for the benefit of the audience), you'd want it for less, otherwise you wouldn't consider buying it? (shrug)

I can't really answer that in all honesty, and I'm not trying to be awkward.

1. I don't like the FF4

2. I have no idea what that book is worth

3. I don't have a guide as yet

4. I know as much about comics at this stage as Jonathan Ross knows about tact.