• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Rhodes in Iron Man #118 should be 1st appearance (cameo or brief)??

51 posts in this topic

Here is his "1st appearance" in 118

IM118_09.jpg

This is his only appearance in the whole book. They are all background panels. Only one he speaks and it's background panel.

Jim Rhodes doesnt appear again until #120. Where he explains how he met TonY Stark . Six total panels, only one he doesnt speak. Threee full face, Two full body, one back of the head panel where he speaks.

IM120_28.jpg

What's your opinion? How would you label these two issues?

its a tough one. 118 is definitely a cameo and even the 120 isn't much of an appearance. 120 is kind of a classic where do you draw the line scenario... more than a cameo, really, but not much of a "full" appearance.... its been many years since I read those issues but I imagine that as a supporting character he might not have had a really "full" app. for quite a while

Exactly. No one generally cares if Jim Rhodes appearance is a cameo, brief or full. He was originally intended as another IM supporting character ala Happy Hogan.

Very few supporting characters in comics get such treatment (Mary Jane comes to mind). Now if Rhodes/War Machine ever becomes an A-Lister. Then we will start splitting hairs.

To be honest, until about 2 1/2 yrs ago CGC never even noted Jim Rhodes 1st appearance with the exception of when he became Iron Man.

#169 Jim Rhodes replaces Tony Stark as Iron Man.

#170 1st full Jim Rhodes as Iron Man II.

I remember that, and the only reason those became semi-valuable is because Rhodes actually took over for Tony in the Iron Man title, as well as in the Avengers, Secret Wars, etc. - he *was* Iron Man for a long time there, and through many big events.

The speculation on "Rhodes appearing in the IM Movies" is just stupidity right up there with Lady Deathstrike in X2.

I remember that, and the only reason those became semi-valuable is because Rhodes actually took over for Tony in the Iron Man title, as well as in the Avengers, Secret Wars, etc. - he *was* Iron Man for a long time there, and through many big events.

Im glad I beat these guys and unknowingly bought my books just before the hype machine got started. The #118, 170 were on my radar only because I pick up key books of black characters.

Whats the going rate for the #118?

I bought a #118 slabbed 9.4 for about $35-$40. When I realized how cheap it was to upgrade, I picked up a 9.6 on Heritage for about $100 (incl. BP and S/H).

I don't think anyone actually *reads* comics anymore, as evidenced by my pet peeve, the "brief/cameo appearance" of Thanos in Iron Man 55.

Who came up with that gem - Thanos is featured throughout the entire book, appearing in at least 7-8 pages, including a climatic scene where he steps out in a full shot, announces his name and crushes Iron Man's glove. WTF?

92278.jpg.94f78b735a3783b6fe6605d0bac1ceb5.jpg

But don't expect CGC to change the label or Overstreet rush to print on this one though...

...unless War Machine takes off.

He already has taken off. Marvel Vs Capcom, Former Leader of the West Coast Avengers, he was Marvel Superhero Squad, and in Iron Man Armored Adventures.

Recently had his own series to change him out of cyborg form. He was In the first movie,when Rhodes looks at the War Machine armor and says "Not, yet baby not yet." The crowd where I watched the film erupted.He's on a movie poster of Iron Man 2, the actor playing him is signed for Iron Man 3 and the Avengers.In addition, to how the crowd reacted at the footage War Machine reaction at Comic Con.

I don't think anyone actually *reads* comics anymore, as evidenced by my pet peeve, the "brief/cameo appearance" of Thanos in Iron Man 55.

Who came up with that gem - Thanos is featured throughout the entire book, appearing in at least 7-8 pages, including a climatic scene where he steps out in a full shot, announces his name and crushes Iron Man's glove. WTF?

Its been changed. You must have been heard.

27604.jpg