• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Price Guide #40 9.2 values af15, jim83,tos39,ff1,hulk1, tta27, xmen1,

124 posts in this topic

Folks around the world are very curious as to where the Upcoming 2010 Overstreet Price Guide #40 9.2 values will be for af15, asm1, jim83,tos39,ff1,hulk1, tta27, xmen1,avengers 1 etc .

As we all know Bob Overstreet is a very clever man, rising prices will in fact sell this $30 price guide. Nobody will buy this guide if prices fall. ie see the fall of sportscards with Beckett Magazine. Prices went down and he switched to quarterly format ($12) from monthly publication ($5) and now nobody buys this magazine for lack of interest and high price of Mag.

So there are really 2 topics up for discussion.

1) Upcoming OSPG #40 9.2 Grade Prices on mega TOP 20 Guide value Silver Age Keys for Marvel and DC

HERE IS MY TAKE ON 9.2 PRICES AND THIS IS VERY LIKELY

AF15 $80,000

FF1 $55,000

FF5 $12,000

ASM1 $50,000

AVENGERS 1 $10,000 (I know you expected this to go up to $15,000 but no it didn't and I feel sorry for those who paid $4K for a 6.0)

X-MEN 1 $25,000

HULK 1 $45,000

JIM 83 $25,000

TOS 39 $20,000

SHOWCASE 22 $13,000

BB28 $14,000

FLASH 105 $15,000

SHOWCASE 4 $50,000

SHOWCASE 8 $20,000

SHOWCASE 9 $12,000

TTA 27 $12,000

GREEN LANTERN 1 $11,500

ADVENTURE 247 $13,000

2) Comics vs Sportscards- Rise of comics and death of sportscards.

Comments please.

1) Upcoming OSPG #40 9.2 Grade Prices on mega Silver Age Keys for Marvel and DC

Would think they would go up in price. They have for the most part.....haven't they?

2) Comics vs Sportscards- Rise of comics and death of sportscards.

Can't have an "investment" market where hot RCs come out at $500-$1000 and then a year or so later they're half that or less (and the player is still highly collected)

Pre-War, T and E cards and the classic Bowman and Topps superstar cards graded have done ok the last few years from what I've seen.

Everything else........... (shrug)

1)Which mega keys you think would rise most? My opinion is AF15, TOS 39, JIM83, ASM1 (yes undervalued)

2) This is so true for hot rcs, companys sell their new release products in collaboration with Beckett who make prices sky high to entice buyer for pack ripping. Then a year later crash! Collectors are tired of paying high prices and hoping they will do well on their investment. But in fact, the prices all falling on even the old mega rcs ie 1986 Fleer Jordan and 1979 O Pee Chee Gretzky. In 2001 they booked for $1600 and $1200 respectively and now $600 and $800 so WTF. Buyers and Sellers get turned off so they don't buy Beckett and they stop buying period.

I don't think the overstreet values matter much, if at all, anymore.

GPA gives you a great idea of the frequency of sales, as well as the very useful most recent sale, and it updates instantly, not annually.

I still buy overstreet (though I question why) but its usefulness has long since passed.

I will buy the guide if prices fall.

I love the Overstreet and I don't care who knows it. Yes, I understand that in many cases it misses on the values, and yes, Bob has a lot of say about what goes in there...don't really care. I don't have big money at stake.

I think it's still the #1 source of information about comics and I've learned more from it than I have from any other single source. If a complete newbie comes into a store telling the story about how his dad left him all these comics and what should he do; What do you do? You hand him an Overstreet. Not just that, I really enjoy sitting down with it. New guide day is a very happy day for me in the ol' LCS.

Falling values don't lessen my enjoyment one iota. I'm not selling anytime soon.

To be honest I read the OSPG every single day when buying on ebay. I don't use GPA analysis. I love the articles, the layout/format, and market reports. There is some deep analysis and input from advisors.

I used to buy Beckett then they kept changing formats to reduce cost on paper quality etc. Lots of fake prices on new products- when there is no market for new releases how does the market determine a 2003 exquisite Lebron james rc to be $9000 to start. There is no justification from Beckett. Remember this is a new release with little or no transaction. No information yet a whopping price comes out. 10 times more than 1986 Fleer Jordan??WTF at this moment Lebron hadn't picked up an NBA basketball. Jordan greatest of all time , 6 rings, mulitple MVPS and accolades etc

1)Which mega keys you think would rise most? My opinion is AF15, TOS 39, JIM83, ASM1 (yes undervalued)

2) This is so true for hot rcs, companys sell their new release products in collaboration with Beckett who make prices sky high to entice buyer for pack ripping. Then a year later crash! Collectors are tired of paying high prices and hoping they will do well on their investment. But in fact, the prices all falling on even the old mega rcs ie 1986 Fleer Jordan and 1979 O Pee Chee Gretzky. In 2001 they booked for $1600 and $1200 respectively and now $600 and $800 so WTF. Buyers and Sellers get turned off so they don't buy Beckett and they stop buying period.

Agreed....and that's what has happened

There was two record prices set this year on a Beckett 10 Montana and Jordan though

But that's obviously the rare exception

Lets face it, any of those Marvel Mega keys you can almost never find at 9.2 guide. A CGC 4.0 is actually considered a decent grade and prices will and should go up on these. The CGC 4.0-6.0 grades are absolute bargains and contrarily can be found at or near guide prices in most cases.Most people who make $5 Grand a month can use a paycheque to buy any of these holy grails. This is CHEAP! for now.

Expect these to go up, the dilemma has always been buy a low grade mega key or a high grade modern key. ie Avengers 1 CGC 4.0 or a Ultimate Spiderman White Variant CGC 9.8. I'll take the former.

2) Sportscards go down in value in the long run so I'll put my money in comics rather than a sportscard. Comics are liquid investments unlike sportscards. I can sell a low grade avengers 1 faster than I can sell a hi grade montana rookie.

1) Well, if he applies the usual bump (~8%, right?) on key/HG books then we know where they stand already.

2) Only bigger key comics are worth buying and holding now. Look at the GA books for a hint of what is to come.

WRT sportscards, I wish I had sold the remainder of my collection when I sold the first big lot for beer/spending money as a teen in 1992. Oh well, at least my kids have a lot of commons to toss around the basement now. lol

Lets face it, any of those Marvel Mega keys you can almost never find at 9.2 guide. A CGC 4.0 is actually considered a decent grade and prices will and should go up on these. The CGC 4.0-6.0 grades are absolute bargains and contrarily can be found at or near guide prices in most cases.Most people who make $5 Grand a month can use a paycheque to buy any of these holy grails. This is CHEAP! for now.

Expect these to go up, the dilemma has always been buy a low grade mega key or a high grade modern key. ie Avengers 1 CGC 4.0 or a Ultimate Spiderman White Variant CGC 9.8. I'll take the former.

2) Sportscards go down in value in the long run so I'll put my money in comics rather than a sportscard. Comics are liquid investments unlike sportscards. I can sell a low grade avengers 1 faster than I can sell a hi grade montana rookie.

You are comparing apples to oranges. A high grade Montana rookie would compare to the Ultimate Spiderman CGC 9.8. A low grade Avengers 1 would compare to a low grade Koufax rookie which would sell a lot faster than your Avengers 1. I would also compare golden age books to the prewar card market, which has done quite nicely over the past 10 years. The prewar baseball market has outpaced the comic market by a decent margin.

You are comparing apples to oranges. A high grade Montana rookie would compare to the Ultimate Spiderman CGC 9.8. A low grade Avengers 1 would compare to a low grade Koufax rookie which would sell a lot faster than your Avengers 1. I would also compare golden age books to the prewar card market, which has done quite nicely over the past 10 years. The prewar baseball market has outpaced the comic market by a decent margin.

Pre-war cards are the only ones that can compare in scarcity to GA and early SA comics.

Koufax and Clemente cards (not just RCs) always sell quick.....not sure the same can be said for other stars of that era (Kaline, Snider, Maris, etc)

For that matter even Mays and Aaron and Robinson.

Sports cards is a dying hobby - whatever happened to those BIG National shows with huge attendance numbers. There are less than 1/2 the number of card shows since 2001. Exhibitors are afraid to even charge admission now because people barely come when its free.

Here in Toronto -the Chapters and ALL other bookstores stopped ordering Beckett 3 years ago. Only the hockey edition is sometimes found and is seldom seen.

The story gets worse for sportscards on ebay. See all PSA and BGS prices have dropped like H1N1/SARS on a school bus.

Comics on the other hand have Wizard World and San Diego. Mass media and comic gatherings. Trend is obvious- comics are on the rise and here to stay.

Its just so much more enjoyable reading a comic and enjoying the story and artwork. Rather than staring at a small sportcard in a psa or bgs case.

I'm always careful when thinking about how prices will look in the future. You really never know and this is regards to Pre war GA SA or even modern hot items.

And for the most part, the fall off in cards was basically at the start of the card grading companies got off the ground. So it is tough to compare the raw selling peak of Becket in the mid 90's to the 2000's where only graded cards could be sold.

Comics are hot to be sure but I have definitely seen a leveling off in prices of some mega keys. AF15 and TOS 39. Plus yesteryears hot comics are today's hasbeens. Duck Barks in mid grade are pretty dead but they used to be the cats meow in the 80s. Same with EC's.

Plus I like to go by the adage in investing to buy the things that others aren't and to sell the things that folks are buying. But even that doesn't always work as timing can easily be off.

Lets get back to subject of what people expect 9.2 prices to be on OSPG #40 for marvel and dc mega top 20 silver age keys.

HERE IS MY TAKE ON 9.2 PRICES AND THIS IS VERY LIKELY

AF15 $80,000

FF1 $55,000

FF5 $12,000

ASM1 $50,000

AVENGERS 1 $10,000 (I know you expected this to go up to $15,000 but no it didn't and I feel sorry for those who paid $4K for a 6.0)

X-MEN 1 $25,000

HULK 1 $45,000

JIM 83 $25,000

TOS 39 $20,000

SHOWCASE 22 $13,000

BB28 $14,000

FLASH 105 $15,000

SHOWCASE 4 $50,000

SHOWCASE 8 $20,000

SHOWCASE 9 $12,000

TTA 27 $12,000

GREEN LANTERN 1 $11,500

ADVENTURE 247 $13,000

Which comic market? If you are comparing GA to prewar cards then it has been fairly even with the keys/star cards increasing more than the commons, but the commons held up well relatively speaking as well value wise. If you are comparing top pieces, the best Action #1 would probably top the $2.8 million paid for the "cut out" T206 Honus Wagner in 2007.

speaking of sportscards, i have a binder of close to 800 basketball cards which i want to move and convert to comics money. =) is there any dealer that can look into it like a Metro or a comiclink for the sports card industry? few commons in there just short runs and beckett value would range from $50 to $500. suggestions?

thanks.

Which comic market? If you are comparing GA to prewar cards then it has been fairly even with the keys/star cards increasing more than the commons, but the commons held up well relatively speaking as well value wise. If you are comparing top pieces, the best Action #1 would probably top the $2.8 million paid for the "cut out" T206 Honus Wagner in 2007.

Really? There are Action #1's out there that would top $2.8mil? I am not too versed in GA comics, but it was my understanding that the highest price comic sold in auction was an Action #1 CGC 6.0 that sold for under $400k and a few other books have sold privately in the half million area.

Setting aside the poster example for each hobby, and even the top 100 pieces from each hobby, my comment was directed more toward the increase in valuation for an average example GA book vs. an average example of prewar card.

If you put $10k in GA Superman books 10 years ago, do you think that the increase in value of your books would outpace $10k put into, say, E93 Standard Caramels?

Edited to add: I see that there are perhaps 3 high grade Action 1's in the 8.5 to 9.2 area which I am assuming are the ones that may surpass the $2.8mil barrier?

Really? There are Action #1's out there that would top $2.8mil? I am not too versed in GA comics, but it was my understanding that the highest price comic sold in auction was an Action #1 CGC 6.0 that sold for under $400k and a few other books have sold privately in the half million area.

Setting aside the poster example for each hobby, and even the top 100 pieces from each hobby, my comment was directed more toward the increase in valuation for an average example GA book vs. an average example of prewar card.

If you put $10k in GA Superman books 10 years ago, do you think that the increase in value of your books would outpace $10k put into, say, E93 Standard Caramels?

Edited to add: I see that there are perhaps 3 high grade Action 1's in the 8.5 to 9.2 area which I am assuming are the ones that may surpass the $2.8mil barrier?

the action #1 he's probably referring to is the Church copy, owned by the Dentist, which is unslabbed