• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Price Guide #40 9.2 values af15, jim83,tos39,ff1,hulk1, tta27, xmen1,

124 posts in this topic

while OSPG is great, on the "keys", very few folks place any credibility in the timeliness of the pricing... the guide is great as a "guide" but when it lists an AF15 in 9.2 at 65K , when real world is 100-120K+ (or 200K or whatever), then whether or not that price moves to 75K is not really relevant, is it (shrug)

The relevance of the Guide as a price guide ceased over a decade ago. The primary relevance of the Guide today is a reference tool for identifying 1st issues/appearances, origin issues, artist citings, and market reports.

some relevance for pricing still exists, in fact still quite a bit (but supply and demand is constantly changing)...it hasn't totally been diminished in that capacity... but, as we are now fully in the "information age" a guide that is produced annually just can't keep up with instant information... but it is still "the" reference tool, and should be treated as such (thumbs u

while OSPG is great, on the "keys", very few folks place any credibility in the timeliness of the pricing... the guide is great as a "guide" but when it lists an AF15 in 9.2 at 65K , when real world is 100-120K+ (or 200K or whatever), then whether or not that price moves to 75K is not really relevant, is it (shrug)

The relevance of the Guide as a price guide ceased over a decade ago. The primary relevance of the Guide today is a reference tool for identifying 1st issues/appearances, origin issues, artist citings, and market reports.

some relevance for pricing still exists, in fact still quite a bit (but supply and demand is constantly changing)...it hasn't totally been diminished in that capacity... but, as we are now fully in the "information age" a guide that is produced annually just can't keep up with instant information... but it is still "the" reference tool, and should be treated as such (thumbs u

I'll take GPA over Overstreet anyday, thanks!

GPA definitely reports "known" slab sales, but still misses probably 50-70% of comic sales in the SA, and maybe 75-90% of comic sales in the Golden age (just pulling numbers out of my arse, it is probably closer to missing 95% or more, but who knows)... so yes, GPA can be another tool, and it definitely is "current to the minute" but it is still very broad and porous too ... first hand experience is still a "key" to the pricing equation when combined with OSPG and GPA and general observation (thumbs u ...

GPA definitely reports "known" slab sales, but still misses probably 50-70% of comic sales in the SA, and maybe 75-90% of comic sales in the Golden age (just pulling numbers out of my arse, it is probably closer to missing 95% or more, but who knows)... so yes, GPA can be another tool, and it definitely is "current to the minute" but it is still very broad and porous too ... first hand experience is still a "key" to the pricing equation when combined with OSPG and GPA and general observation (thumbs u ...

Agree. One definitely has to do his or her research. These tools (OSPG, GPA) will provide great help in pricing...let's also add the CGC boards as a good tool too. The market moves fast and furious sometimes and will fluctuate. Also, price volatility will exist in greatest demand item or rare items, so long term price trend will give you a better idea. Nonetheless, supply and demand will dictate prices. (thumbs u

I'm looking for estimates of price movements on these top 20 silver age comics.

I am expecting a huge increase across the board. Your thoughts? Any ones in particular?

Why is this so important to you?

Why are you expecting huge increases?

When was the last time that OS actually reflected market prices on high grade keys?

I have an Overstreet 38th edition from 2008 but did not buy an Overstreet Guide last year. I subscribe to GPA and find it usually more useful. I also use nostomania.com for street prices. I may buy OS this year to have as a reference and for the articles but currently there are other, better options available for pricing. 2c

While I love using OSPG , Bob Overstreet has to get his act together and stop making careless mistakes. Also like how the Wizard price guide quotes Showcase #22 as $70,000 value last month and now after years of ridiculous pricing on new and old stuff decides to drop the price guide section almost entirely leaving only graded popular books guide.

The Wizard magazine has become less interesting and thinner and thinner each month ie check the lastest issue. Articles are becoming less relevant to comic world.

Anyone know if Comic Buyers Guide (CBG) still around? Its discontinued in Toronto.

GPA only gives indication ie af15 cgc 5.0 past sales say in this order 10k,12K,7k (someone gets a deal) so now af15 is considered less hot and valuable.NO! GPA is not a true measure of value, still need OSPG.

OSPG must shoot up values of 9.2 values of mega keys and consistently increase the rest of grades as well. Demand is extremely high for mega keys and should continue.

Prices are just way too cheap in the OSPG period.

Bob Overstreet should not be afraid to jack up AF15 from 65K now to 145K in 9.2. Proportionately across other grades too. While I understand slowly moving prices up helps sell the OSPG but Bob must take a stand.

These prices are insane.

Where does it stop? Never?

This, coming from a guy who got into comics when Avengers #1 was guiding in the HUNDREDS, and the top Silver Age book, Showcase #4, was $2K.

$30K for Avengers #1.

Just insane.

But hey, in for a penny, in for a pound I guess. Let's all enjoy the ride while it lasts...and if it lasts forever...WHOOPEE!!

(PS...watch for an even greater gap between uber high grade and not uber high grade. 1884S $1 in VF = $30. 1884S $1 in MS65 [9.6] =$250,000. Avengers #1 in Fine is so, so not rare.)

OSPG must shoot up values of 9.2 values of mega keys and consistently increase the rest of grades as well. Demand is extremely high for mega keys and should continue.

Bob Overstreet should not be afraid to jack up AF15 from 65K now to 145K in 9.2. Proportionately across other grades too. While I understand slowly moving prices up helps sell the OSPG but Bob must take a stand.

What would help sell the OSPG is accurate pricing, that reflects the market where it actually is. Someday, either Bob will wake up and fix this...or someone else will.

What would help sell the OSPG is accurate pricing, that reflects the market where it actually is. Someday, either Bob will wake up and fix this...or someone else will.

You guys kill me.

Why does everyone keep assuming that the guy who produces THE dominant price guide in our hobby, in its 40th year now, and which I would guess is probably a nice little cash cow, doesn't know what he's doing?!

Could some improvements be made? Of course. But you all make it sound like he's some doddering old senile fool who doesn't have a clue. We should all be so clueless.

do you use he pricing data in he Guide? Overstreet has faced a fast changing comics hobby in he last ten years and to date has not changed anything except adopt CGCs grading and the realiy that slabbed books arent he same as raw prices. He risks the ongoing erosion of its once unassailable hold on pricing in the hobby.

No he is no a doddering old senile fool..... just still caught in the headlights of change. And its not really his fault. I believe that given that he sold the company years ago, and the current ownership is--- well--- otherwise occupied with greater matters of late, that Bob may be in a place he is powerless to affect major change from.... if he in fact had the solution (to the internet and the speed of change) we are experiencing, that is.

My answer would have been move to the web themselves, or buy or merge with a GPA etc who already occupies that space. Clearly he need for accurate pricing data is felt by all of us. But no one can yet deliver the whole package.

do you use he pricing data in he Guide? Overstreet has faced a fast changing comics hobby in he last ten years and to date has not changed anything except adopt CGCs grading and the realiy that slabbed books arent he same as raw prices. He risks the ongoing erosion of its once unassailable hold on pricing in the hobby.

No he is no a doddering old senile fool..... just still caught in the headlights of change. And its not really his fault. I believe that given that he sold the company years ago, and the current ownership is--- well--- otherwise occupied with greater matters of late, that Bob may be in a place he is powerless to affect major change from.... if he in fact had the solution (to the internet and the speed of change) we are experiencing, that is.

My answer would have been move to the web themselves, or buy or merge with a GPA etc who already occupies that space. Clearly he need for accurate pricing data is felt by all of us. But no one can yet deliver the whole package.

part of delivering the "whole package" is having knowledge of the whole package... and as much as we would like that info to be available, it is unlikely it ever will (or of course, ever was)...

as I guesstimated, I suspect that we don't even know or hear about 70-95% of comic sales that take place (goto any convention, and thousands and thousands of books are sold, but at what price, what grade, etc, etc...you catch my drift)...and naturally I am not talking about high profile sales of AF15 or Action 1, you don't need GPA or a price guide to determine those prices, the market will

GPA does a wonderful job at reporting some publicly (and some select private) cgc slab sales... but, I still contend that those sales represent such a small portion of actual sales occuring out there, that even that sampling is not a true reflection (all the time) of the current market...that said, it is a great tool for those that don't have the time to monitor this data themselves

and of course the Price guide is just that, a guide... I understand the guides reasoning not to "jump" prices by an exhorborant amount from year to year (even if the market reflects that)... the bottom line is that with the internet and your own research, coupled with the price guide and GPA, etc, one can form a pretty valid "current" picture of pricing...

should the OSPG go "modern" (as in online presence), I believe that is where it should have gone a few years ago... but it hasn't, yet it is still a great source of information (and errors will always occur in a publication of that nature)...

bottom line is, in any particular sale, all known and printed data may or may not be relevant to the extent that the seller will ask for a price for a book, and the buyer will determine if they are willing to pay that price...

If I recall correctly, all of the marketplace sales data and reports for the Overstreet price guide is collected and tabulated sometime in October, and not published until April, so there's fairly large gap in time to contend with.

One way Overstreet dealt with that in the past was to publish Overstreet Price Updates bi-monthly, and later, monthly, in order to capture the fast-paced price changes occuring in Silver Age at that time. It bridge the gap quite nicely between the annual editions of the Guide.

Given the volitility of prices in today's market, perhaps he should consider some sort of price updates again, before the relevance of his annual guide erodes further.

my feeling is that the majority of folks haven't used OSPG for "key" issues in forever already (action 1, tec 27, af15, etc)... so, I don't really see how the guide's value in that respect, can erode any further (it is already non existant lol )

but, on the other million issues (or whatever the number is) of slower/lower demand stuff, the guide will likely continue to be "the source" from which folks base their pricing (and what percentage of they are willing to sell)...

if OSPG had of just "jumped" the price of an 8.0 AF15 to $85K last year, then what would folks be saying about the multiple of copies that sold since in the 60's and 70's (and the one that sold for $58K)...

my feeling is that the majority of folks haven't used OSPG for "key" issues in forever already (action 1, tec 27, af15, etc)... so, I don't really see how the guide's value in that respect, can erode any further (it is already non existant lol )

but, on the other million issues (or whatever the number is) of slower/lower demand stuff, the guide will likely continue to be "the source" from which folks base their pricing (and what percentage of they are willing to sell)...

if OSPG had of just "jumped" the price of an 8.0 AF15 to $85K last year, then what would folks be saying about the multiple of copies that sold since in the 60's and 70's (and the one that sold for $58K)...

Well, I would hope they would apply the same rationale as they do in their everyday lives by acknowledging that items rise, peak, plateau, fall (or rise again), again based on supply and demand. And when the Overstreet Price Bulletins were publishes, I recall they had a column for %increase or decrease and I wasn't taken aback when some prices on books I owned fell. It made for greater pricing accuracy.

Well, I would hope they would apply the same rationale as they do in their everyday lives by acknowledging that items rise, peak, plateau, fall (or rise again), again based on supply and demand. And when the Overstreet Price Bulletins were publishes, I recall they had a column for %increase or decrease and I wasn't taken aback when some prices on books I owned fell. It made for greater pricing accuracy.

ah, but the number 1 rule of selling a price guide is "keep the values rising"... if it were more "accurate" and then all of a sudden the price(s) of a mega key (like AF15) was lowered by 15-20% (after having just risen by 15-20% the previous year) that would not sell many copies or at the very least, leave some folks feeling "down" lol

as altruistic as we like to think it is, the price guide is really in business to make money, right, while still maintaining a certain level of integrity in the pricing model...

I think the guide has remained pretty true to its vision the entire 40 years it has been published...I don't think we will see much change now, though I would love to "head up/run" an online version... anyone know where I can submit my application to hm

You guys kill me.

Why does everyone keep assuming that the guy who produces THE dominant price guide in our hobby, in its 40th year now, and which I would guess is probably a nice little cash cow, doesn't know what he's doing?!

Could some improvements be made? Of course. But you all make it sound like he's some doddering old senile fool who doesn't have a clue. We should all be so clueless.

Eventually, someone will come along and fix all the problems that the OPG has....and the OPG will stop selling.

And please don't say "Wizard tried" or "Comics Values monthly tried" or "Hero tried"...because they didn't. They weren't trying to, either. They took OPG prices, decorated them up a bit for the younger crowd, and that's that. They didn't address or resolve any fundamental problems.

Bob Overstreet is resting on his laurels, and has been for almost two decades. It's the dominant price guide out of habit, out of tradition, not out of merit.

Don't believe me....?

GM was THE dominant auto maker in the world, for decades.

How's that working out for them....?

until everyone in the known comic collecting world has a PDA device with access to "a" price guide, folks will still want to lug around a printed version to comic conventions... that alone will keep the OSPG in print at least through next year...

but I agree that we need an online, updatable, and sales accurate reportable price guide (not just a GPA reporting service, that has its place...but an online "guide")

and I would happily apply for the job!

here are the 9.2 prices I submitted to OS in my report this year:

AF15 $120k

FF1 $110k

FF5 $25k

ASM1 $50k

AVENGERS 1 $30k (based on a 9.0 selling for 25K)

X-MEN 1 $65k

HULK 1 $100k (again, with a 125K sale on record)

JIM 83 dnc (did not change, no relevant info I noticed this year)

TOS 39 dnc

SHOWCASE 22 $25k

BB28 dnc

FLASH 105 dnc

SHOWCASE 4 $75k

SHOWCASE 8 $dnc

SHOWCASE 9 dnc

TTA 27 dnc

GREEN LANTERN 1 $25k (based on 30K sale)

ADVENTURE 247 dnc

Rick, I take it these are slabbed prices......does Overstreet ask for slabbed or raw or doesn't specify?

they are just prices for 9.2

a true 9.2 in a slab or out of a slab is still a 9.2 (thumbs u

I agree. But were some/all the reported prices based on slabbed or raw sales?

both (thumbs u

I understand the logic behind your estimation. But I have a doubt. If a single AF 15 CGC 9.8 hit the market and some deep pocket collector pays a VERY HIGH price (I dont knw, between 500k and 1 million), does that affect the value of the 9.2 copies? I would not pay more for a 9.2 only because a unique 9.8 sold for a record price. It's still a 9.2. But I would pay a record price for a 9.8 because is 1 of a kind.