• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

Unfortunately this has put the group in a[nother] no-win situation.

If the group accepts Brent's venture, it loses the respect of people who apparently had some measure of respect previously.

If the group takes some sort of action against Brent, then it's proven the assertions of some of its critics -- it's a bunch of intolerant anti-pressers whose only goal is to smite pressing from the face of the Earth.

doh!

:cloud9:

Let it go dude. You'll feel better.

:hi:

No doubt eh.

I don't understand the desire some of you have to see a group that seeks proactive disclosure to fail.

Whats in it for you ? Whats your agenda ? Why the bitterness ? ???

Not even close. Most of those that are most vocal agains THE WAY THE NOD is being run is by ex members. Even Nik, who was the salt of the earth was vocal about the BS that runs thick in the hallowed halls of the NOD.

Please explain the BS

Being dominated by several members when others were trying to push the group forward

Pushing joey out of the organization which seemed to be spearheaded by Brent actually and one or two others for pressing. Hell, ive even heard the rule was and is referred to as the "joeypost" rule

Those are just 2 examples off the top of my head

The historical part bothers me the most. Although I'm not much of a pedigree collector, I do own a few, and I enjoy the history.

I wonder if perhaps some of the people with pressing businesses on this board or people who just own presses, would think about refusing to press known pedigrees? I know sometimes they are removed from slabs before you see them, but sometimes they are not.

There is simply no way everyone will agree, but perhaps we could come to some kind of compromise? At least consider a compromise.

I know there is no way to ensure it doesn't happen, but perhaps a few books would be preserved.

I own only 1 Mile High Wonder Woman, and it's got color touch. Makes no sense to me :shrug:

I have pressed pedigree books. I have one right now that needs pressing. I don't know what happened throughout its life, but something gave it some wicked back cover creases. I can't believe the original owner purchased it like that or intended for it to be the way it is today.

In my opinion pedigrees are some of the most likely candidates for pressing as they typically exhibit only minor defects that can be greatly improved by a trip through the press. What I do not advocate is the willful disregard of the pedigree upon resubmission. That is nothing short of douchbaggery.

That being said, I am sometimes at loss as to the reverence which is bestowed onto a pedigree collection. People talk about about how the owner meticulously picked through the books on the rack only buying the choicest copies. Well, you know what, I did that too when I was a kid. They only difference was my OCD wasn't so evolved that I packed the books away like food for a nuclear winter.

I don't doubt that most owners of pedigree collections would have taken advantage of the pressing service if it had been available to them like it is to us today. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the history and the folklore associated with the books, but it stops there.

Just a guess that you didn't major in history, Jim...:baiting:

How do you feel about historical buildings?

The pedigree I like the most is the one gathered by a young girl in a Japanese interment camp. I doubt she picked through the racks.

I suppose I look at it differently, because hi grade is not all that important to me...when I was showing my purchases to Arex in Chicago, he kept pointing out creases that could be fixed...that was his focus (and Arex knows I like him a lot;) I had no problem with his finding the creases...but for me, there was no urgency to fix minor flaws, I found them to be part of the charm.

I DO understand why some people would rather press the minor creases...and it's not always to sell, but there are different ways to look at most everything.

Kind of why I guess I'll probably never have plastic surgery unless G-d forbid there was something weird like an accident...and others would be embarrassed to get older and not have it as a matter of course.

I own LOTS of books with creases on the back...never bothers me a bit;) I guess I realize I'll probably be creased one day myself;)

I'm not a member of NOD or an ex member so I don't really care how they run their group but perhaps they should come up with very specific rules for membership to avoid these kinds of situations.

I was always under the impression they were all about pro active disclosure and their view on pressing was "press books, but tell us"

Please explain the BS

In my view, it boils down to personality conflict. Some folks really, really don't like Mark and Marnin and see NOD as the Mark and Marnin club. Thus, partisan lines are drawn.

Has the group made some heavy-handed missteps? Sure. But it seems like some people can't see past the more polarizing figures and objectively look at the group and any of the positives.

Perhaps Nik was unhappy with some aspects of NOD or some of its members. But all of NOD always considered him a dear friend of the organization. Even after his membership expired, he regularly donated to the group right up until his tragic passing.

I'm not a member of NOD or an ex member so I don't really care how they run their group but perhaps they should come up with very specific rules for membership to avoid these kinds of situations.

I was always under the impression they were all about pro active disclosure and their view on pressing was "press books, but tell us"

NOD members do get books pressed but disclose. As long as they are disclosing I don't see an issue.

The historical part bothers me the most. Although I'm not much of a pedigree collector, I do own a few, and I enjoy the history.

I wonder if perhaps some of the people with pressing businesses on this board or people who just own presses, would think about refusing to press known pedigrees? I know sometimes they are removed from slabs before you see them, but sometimes they are not.

There is simply no way everyone will agree, but perhaps we could come to some kind of compromise? At least consider a compromise.

I know there is no way to ensure it doesn't happen, but perhaps a few books would be preserved.

I own only 1 Mile High Wonder Woman, and it's got color touch. Makes no sense to me :shrug:

I have pressed pedigree books. I have one right now that needs pressing. I don't know what happened throughout its life, but something gave it some wicked back cover creases. I can't believe the original owner purchased it like that or intended for it to be the way it is today.

In my opinion pedigrees are some of the most likely candidates for pressing as they typically exhibit only minor defects that can be greatly improved by a trip through the press. What I do not advocate is the willful disregard of the pedigree upon resubmission. That is nothing short of douchbaggery.

That being said, I am sometimes at loss as to the reverence which is bestowed onto a pedigree collection. People talk about about how the owner meticulously picked through the books on the rack only buying the choicest copies. Well, you know what, I did that too when I was a kid. They only difference was my OCD wasn't so evolved that I packed the books away like food for a nuclear winter.

I don't doubt that most owners of pedigree collections would have taken advantage of the pressing service if it had been available to them like it is to us today. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the history and the folklore associated with the books, but it stops there.

The pedigree I like the most is the one gathered by a young girl in a Japanese interment camp. I doubt she picked through the racks.

I suppose I look at it differently, because hi grade is not all that important to me...when I was showing my purchases to Arex in Chicago, he kept pointing out creases that could be fixed...that was his focus (and Arex knows I like him a lot;) I had no problem with his finding the creases...but for me, there was no urgency to fix minor flaws, I found them to be part of the charm.

I DO understand why some people would rather press the minor creases...and it's not always to sell, but there are different ways to look at most everything.

Kind of why I guess I'll probably never have plastic surgery unless G-d forbid there was something weird like an accident...and others would be embarrassed to get older and not have it as a matter of course.

I own LOTS of books with creases on the back...never bothers me a bit;) I guess I realize I'll probably be creased one day myself;)

Sharon,

Pressing doesn't change the history of a comic. It doesn't negate the pedigree.

It doesn't automatically make everything that happened before suddenly become null and void.

All pressing does is make the comic flatter.

cap40.jpg

This book is an Okajima.

The same girl bought it at the interment camp. (There were comic racks there.)

It still survived all those years.

It is still beautiful.

It is also flat.

NOD members do get books pressed but disclose. As long as they are disclosing I don't see an issue.

But now the NOD chairman will be pressing books for other people. Who can he disclose it to?

The problem lies with what happens to the books after, he has no control over that. I think that is the crux of the argument.

I made a post in a presing thread :whee:

Sharon,

Pressing doesn't change the history of a comic. It doesn't negate the pedigree.

It doesn't automatically make everything that happened before suddenly become null and void.

All pressing does is make the comic flatter.

cap40.jpg

This book is an Okajima.

The same girl bought it at the interment camp. (There were comic racks there.)

It still survived all those years.

It is still beautiful.

It is also flat.

I see...

I'll visit you when you get your face lift (not before about 20 years I hope;);) You'll still be Richard!

I won't think you NEED a facelift, because to me you will still be the same beautiful person you are now...

But I'll understand;)

No, I hated history with the exception of North American Pre-History and when we studied the Egyptians in Western Civilization.

I actually like historical buildings. My house is a throw back to the cottages and bungalows of the 1940s. However, that being said, the house was originally built by my grandparents in the 40s and I take pride in the fact that I have the means today to make it something that it wasn't in the past.

I understand what you are saying, Sharon, but even the Mona Lisa, the Statue of Liberty and the Sistine Chapel got a little nip here and a little tuck there. Not to mention a very thorough cleaning.

When I think think of pedigree collections, I mainly think of the Silver Age pedigrees as I have limited knowledge of the Golden Age ones. (Where's Matt with that damn book already?) I would think the example you gave as your favorite is a rather unique set of circumstances. When most people think GA pedigree, they think Church, at least I do.

No, I hated history with the exception of North American Pre-History and when we studied the Egyptians in Western Civilization.

I actually like historical buildings. My house is a throw back to the cottages and bungalows of the 1940s. However, that being said, the house was originally built by my grandparents and I take pride in the fact that I have the means today to make it something that it wasn't in the past.

I understand what you are saying, Sharon, but even the Mona Lisa, the Statue of Liberty and the Sistine Chapel got a little nip here and a little tuck there. Not to mention a very thorough cleaning.

When I think think of pedigree collections, I mainly think of the Silver Age pedigrees as I have limited knowledge of the Golden Age ones. (Where's Matt with that damn book already?) I would think the example you gave as your favorite is a rather unique set of circumstances. When most people think GA pedigree, they think Church, at least I do.

Actually, Okajima is the only one I find very charming, part of it, is a female thing...Church...well, it's INTERESTING;) SA (not so much;)

Have a great night, time to get out, lol

But now the NOD chairman will be pressing books for other people. Who can he disclose it to?

The problem lies with what happens to the books after, he has no control over that. I think that is the crux of the argument.

I made a post in a presing thread :whee:

Regardless who is pressing books I will always view it as a bad thing.

Historical items are maintained or they will disintegrate or fall down.

Scrubbing the patina off a centuries old gun or knife will lower its collectible value... but that's something that the collecting industry has deemed to be "harmful" to its collectibility.

If I owned say an original and very famous Renoir painting and I was an extremely famous and legendary figure in the world, let's say I somehow was murdered in front of this painting. Is the resulting painting (now splattered with blood) worth more now or should it be cleaned? Because it is now of quasi-historical value, should it be kept in this current state?

Historical items are maintained or they will disintegrate or fall down.

Scrubbing the patina off a centuries old gun or knife will lower its collectible value... but that's something that the collecting industry has deemed to be "harmful" to its collectibility.

If I owned say an original and very famous Renoir painting and I was an extremely famous and legendary figure in the world, let's say I somehow was murdered in front of this painting. Is the resulting painting (now splattered with blood) worth more now or should it be cleaned? Because it is now of quasi-historical value, should it be kept in this current state?

Keep the blood.

When is that pedigree book coming out?

That's like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. (shrug)

Three.The owl told me so.

That Owl is a god damned liar.

He never made it without biting.