• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

*sigh* I wish Paratrooper's derail had worked...

It's tough being a Libra...

I think the people that are the ones most people get upset about are NOT THE PEOPLE in this thread, guys!

I've seen Mike, Joey, Arex etc, dive into boxes to find books...they really do it without malice. It's a game...I think it works the same way as when I go to a garage sale and find a treasure and toss it on Ebay to see what happens.

It's not the same I agree as resubbing a pedigree and disguising it.

I do understand the preservationists, too. Frankly, I feel the same way about CGC books. I like the people here, but I rarely slab books unless it's an expensive book I want to sell, or an expensive book I want to have protected by insurance or from damage. I prefer having naked books. I don't care if a kid painted my naked books, it's part of the history to me.

I've met Bob and Bill...both really nice guys. Gary knows how much I like him, I baked him a cake;)

I think everyone needs to go have a virtual drink together and stop the bashing, please.

On the count of three...

GROUP HUG!

I'm all for hugs, Sha.

Congrats on your Jets (you gotta be a Jets fan - not a snooty Giants fan, right?)!

Well, Ned is, lol..He's happy, I'm only a baseball/basketball fan...but it would be cool if they get to the Super Bowl.

Getting cranky in my old age?

One of those people who used to use those VF++ and Mint- grades is on your NOD board. I can discuss Ritter's current grading since he still uses the 100 point system. I was hard pressed to find a difference with a 85, 86, 87 or 88. Would you like me to bring up the secret code grading methods like Harley uses? How about the old 41 point Metro system? So those Mail order and show guys were slapping ++++'s on their labels? I guess that's just as bad as just having a dollar sign on yours? You are/were a show dealer so I guess you are dissing yourself?

What suggestion have you come up with to improve this hobby? I'm open to see something constructive coming out of your posts.

No one could tell the difference between a 9.2/9.4 or a 9.4/9.6?

Wow, here's my new suggestion for NOD.

If you REALLY want to help the hobby.

Start grading classes. Charge for the training courses. Make the organization money. Run them at conventions. Imagine the impact your organization could have on the hobby if people learned how to grade. Imagine how the hobby could change just if customers and dealers started grading consistently. Establish certified dealers across the country that can do one on one training if people want that.

Eventually maybe somebody out there will know how to grade because obviously a well known Overstreet advisor can't tell the difference between a 9.2/9.4 or a 9.4/9.6.

Grading is subjective is a COP-OUT for those who are afraid to admit they don't know how to grade or are afraid to admit that the grading guide contradicts itself.

C'mon, Bob, before CGC the only dealers who used these marginal grades were mail order guys and show dealers who would add a ++++++ to every grade. They were meaningless. The difference between a NM- and NM was NOTICEABLE. With CGC, one day it's a 9.2 the next a 9.4 or even a 9.0.

And why bring NOD into this? Getting cranky in your old age I think...

Gary,

What I just dont understand, and the point that you continually bring up, is how you can see something wrong with someone buying a book, crack/press/resubing it, and then making money off it is wrong.

And not just wrong but an offense that is intolerable.

I see very little difference with it than a dealer buying books from anyone else at a lower price than they intend to sell it.

And the people who are selling the CGC books that are being CPRd are probably more in touch with the practice than the people who are selling their books to you, me, Bob, or anyone else at wholesale prices.

The indignation on your end just baffles me to no end. The uproar you got in over the FF 112 still amazes me, especially as how the FIRST SELLER OF THE BOOK didnt find anything at all wrong with it.

No Gary, I dont think you are a dishonest swindler and I apologize if that came across that way. I have never heard anything but good about your business and your dealings with others. So, if I have offended you on that, then I apologize.

I'm still converting my CD's, just finished with my Toadies, Tool collection and now working on U2. This process takes forever!

Sounds like you can save yourself and a lot of time, throw them out, and get back to the things you do best, like post when drunk. (worship)

I'm still converting my CD's, just finished with my Toadies, Tool collection and now working on U2. This process takes forever!

Sounds like you can save yourself and a lot of time, throw them out, and get back to the things you do best, like post when drunk. (worship)

I am :banana:

I'm listening to Mrs. Donut giggle at the Golden Globes. I've always thought the Golden Globes were a little too "precious" for my tastes, but she's laughing out loud. I think I shall listen to Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings now. They are awesome, especially

:whee:

I tried, have run out of beer, so am heading to bed. Hopefully none of those U2 albums are after The Joshua Tree.

I tried, have run out of beer, so am heading to bed. Hopefully none of those U2 albums are after The Joshua Tree.

Joshua Tree, War and Achtung Baby. Now working on Rufus Wainright, Ween and Weezer.

Joshua Tree, War and Achtung Baby. Now working on Rufus Wainright, Ween and Weezer.

Ok, I'll give you a pass up to Achtung Baby, being a defender of our country and all. But after that I gotta draw the line somewhere. Any XTC at the end of that alphabet?

Ok, I'll give you a pass up to Achtung Baby, being a defender of our country and all. But after that I gotta draw the line somewhere. Any XTC at the end of that alphabet?

XTC.......Skylarking :cloud9: The Sgt. Peppers of it's time!

XTC.......Skylarking :cloud9: The Sgt. Peppers of it's time!

No XTC, I like good music remember.

I'm listening to Mrs. Donut giggle at the Golden Globes. I've always thought the Golden Globes were a little too "precious" for my tastes, but she's laughing out loud. I think I shall listen to Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings now. They are awesome, especially

Sharon Jone and the Dap Kings (thumbs u

Dan, you have some fine taste in music!