• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

This is pretty sweet. Norah Jones doing AC/DC.

"Mr Lee"(as she introduces him in that clip) in the group was the bassist in my HS buddy's band, I spent hours listening to his group jam in his garage & local shows.

Do you know where that was from?

Go back and read the fake tits/real tits analogy.

I liked that one. :cloud9:

(thumbs u

With so many sweet books coming to market these days, I'm often tempted to bid on some of these books at auction. But, it's gotten to the point where I just have to assume the book has been manipulated to reach its maximum potential by the seller (and I subsequently lose all interest). I mean, since there's basically no downside to it (negligible time, cost, risk of damage and negative stigma), I'm sure even books with defects that can't be pressed out are regularly thrown under the press in the off-chance that the book just gains a more flattering appearance post-flattening. :(

I still don't understand how a book that has achieved its high grade through artificial manipulation can be considered the equal of a book that was cherry-picked off the stands (or even the printing press, like the Gaines EC file copies) and studiously well preserved by its owner(s) over years and decades. The sad thing is, even the aforementioned Gaines File Copies have been pressed. I mean, how absurd is it that Bill Gaines cherry-picked the best copies of his books and preserved them for decades, only to have some greedy snot press his Mad #1. That is just disgusting - how can anyone think that this is what the hobby should be about?

And we all know that Church books have also been pressed (apparently the rich history and lore behind those books wasn't enough for some people, they had to press the hell out of those too), as well as many copies of the top Silver Age books, mere pawns in some twisted opera of greed and ego. Instead of being revered, respected and accepted for what they were, their owners had to throw them under the iron too for the shot at the 0.2 bump.

This hobby truly deserves everything that's coming to it.

I'm not sure if you deserve a Daytime Emmy or a tampon. hm

Can't it be both?

-slym

I also find it hard to believe that Ewert ever left.

As I've stated before, it strains reality to believe that he just tossed all his inventory in a dumpster when he was run out of town. Would someone who did what he did hesitate for a moment to launder his books through a third party?

Maybe I'll abandon Shakespeare because he was a petty, litigious philanderer & then heap public scorn upon the character of all persons who continue to read them.

I abandoned Shakespeare as soon as I found out he didn't write all that stuff with his name on it.

:devil:

-slym

I also find it hard to believe that Ewert ever left.

As I've stated before, it strains reality to believe that he just tossed all his inventory in a dumpster when he was run out of town. Would someone who did what he did hesitate for a moment to launder his books through a third party?

I'd like to know for certain whether or not Ewert was ever actually run out of town. My tin foil hat tells me that he was merely asked to go underground.

Yeah, comparing trimming to pressing just doesn't work for most of us. At least not for me, because it's never been an issue of "well you can't detect it" for me. I've always thought that argument was sort of lame.

Pressing matters next to nothing for me because I believe literally close to nothing is being done to the book. I've also concluded that the same results in a large percentage of examples can be had by optimal storage conditions over various amounts of time depending on the degree of the defect. I base these conclusions on real life studies based on books I personally put away for 20+ years. Collections that I've purchased that were stored in various conditions for various amounts of time, and the many books that I have personally pressed.

If I store a book poorly, it will get downgraded for the defects accumulated from poor storage. Should a book that has defects removed from good storage conditions not be upgraded?

A book in a cheap super thin factory poly bag will have the overlap of the bag press an indentation in the cover after years of being stored in a tight long box. I would think the same result can be had if the book is stored again with the bag removed, except removing the indentation.

Yes storage is a "natural" part of a comics life - Part of it's history, and I admit there is something romantic about a books surviving many years, and being stored in just the right way to preserve it in high grade condition. I love Pedigrees for these reasons as much as any collector out there.

Still, IMO, based on what I know first hand, pressing is very non-invasive when done correctly and really the only difference in many cases is time. Is it a short-cut? I guess so, but it just doesn't matter to me, and apparently many others.

I'd agree that trimming and pressing are in different leagues to each other in invasiveness. However, when you boil it down to the basics, they are both procedures carried out on comics to make them appear newer/less flawed than they were prior to the procedure. One is definitely not accepted by the hobby and one is accepted by many.

If we go back a few years, pressing wasn't accepted by those who knew about it anywhere near as much as it is now. The defining poimt is that CGC decided that pressing is acceptable. If they had decided that trimming was acceptable years ago then the hobby probably would have been coming round to the idea by now, especially if a lot of the members of the hobby were making a lot of money from it.

:eek: I have to disagree with you here. That is because I couldn't care less about pressing and despise trimming, and I know I'm not the only one.

Yes, I'm sure there are those that would seize the opportunity to make money from it, and there some that would be happy to upgrade the status of their collection from it.

For me. I'd never submit to CGC or buy a slabbed book again if they ever "approved" micro- trimming.

Yeah, comparing trimming to pressing just doesn't work for most of us. At least not for me, because it's never been an issue of "well you can't detect it" for me. I've always thought that argument was sort of lame.

Pressing matters next to nothing for me because I believe literally close to nothing is being done to the book. I've also concluded that the same results in a large percentage of examples can be had by optimal storage conditions over various amounts of time depending on the degree of the defect. I base these conclusions on real life studies based on books I personally put away for 20+ years. Collections that I've purchased that were stored in various conditions for various amounts of time, and the many books that I have personally pressed.

If I store a book poorly, it will get downgraded for the defects accumulated from poor storage. Should a book that has defects removed from good storage conditions not be upgraded?

A book in a cheap super thin factory poly bag will have the overlap of the bag press an indentation in the cover after years of being stored in a tight long box. I would think the same result can be had if the book is stored again with the bag removed, except removing the indentation.

Yes storage is a "natural" part of a comics life - Part of it's history, and I admit there is something romantic about a books surviving many years, and being stored in just the right way to preserve it in high grade condition. I love Pedigrees for these reasons as much as any collector out there.

Still, IMO, based on what I know first hand, pressing is very non-invasive when done correctly and really the only difference in many cases is time. Is it a short-cut? I guess so, but it just doesn't matter to me, and apparently many others.

I'd agree that trimming and pressing are in different leagues to each other in invasiveness. However, when you boil it down to the basics, they are both procedures carried out on comics to make them appear newer/less flawed than they were prior to the procedure. One is definitely not accepted by the hobby and one is accepted by many.

If we go back a few years, pressing wasn't accepted by those who knew about it anywhere near as much as it is now. The defining poimt is that CGC decided that pressing is acceptable. If they had decided that trimming was acceptable years ago then the hobby probably would have been coming round to the idea by now, especially if a lot of the members of the hobby were making a lot of money from it.

:eek: I have to disagree with you here. That is because I couldn't care less about pressing and despise trimming, and I know I'm not the only one.

Yes, I'm sure there are those that would seize the opportunity to make money from it, and there some that would be happy to upgrade the status of their collection from it.

For me. I'd never submit to CGC or buy a slabbed book again if they ever "approved" micro- trimming.

Which..of course...they'll never do.

What if you had reason to believe that CGC was unable to detect micro-trimming with significant accuracy? Would you still buy slabbed books?

What if you had reason to believe that CGC was unable to detect micro-trimming with significant accuracy? Would you still buy slabbed books?

I would buy less slabs from unknown individuals and submit more of my own books.

I already believe they probably miss some. I also believe that some books may falsely fall under the gun do to over scrutinization, which is a direct result of how bad for business it would be if it came out books were getting by. However, right now, I believe they are much better at it then you or I, so I'll take it.

If they came out and said, "we can't detect it", I'd probably stop buying slabs. If I did, it would not be from people that I don't know, or didn't submit them themselves.

However, I might add that I think CGC has become so paranoid where trimming is concerned that any book suspected of such gets a purple label.

And they're grading like they're on the rag with a limited supply of chocolate. :cry:

Well...just my submission, anyway.

However, I might add that I think CGC has become so paranoid where trimming is concerned that any book suspected of such gets a purple label.

And they're grading like they're on the rag with a limited supply of chocolate. :cry:

Get your lame Marvel Graphic Novel back yet?

Nice to have you back. These Pressing threads are such a bore without you. :applause:

Get your lame Marvel Graphic Novel back yet?

It's still sitting in a box at home. hm