• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

I won 5 books on Comiclink last night so how do I know none of them have never been pressed?

Or been consigned by Jason Ewert?

:fear:

And, as we have seen recently with the Mound City collection, there is a good probability that the unpressed book would be bought by a dealer or collector/dealer to press, resub for an upgrade, and sell for an even higher price.

I think at this point if it is known that a book is not pressed, it's almost a given that it will sell for more than an pressed book.

You have two motivated bidder types:

1) the bidder who wants to own an unpressed book

2) the bidder who wants an increase in grade from the unpressed book.

At this point is it fair to say that if a collector wants to own a book that is unpressed that they will have to be willing to pay a premium to own it?

R.

can't believe i got sucked back into this thread but there's a poll that i've been thinking about for months that is finally being addressed here. two identical books; same grade, same page qualtiy, same wrap, relatively available in grade- one is disclosed as being professionally pressed. what premium would one pay for the unpressed book? i'd pay 20% more for the unpressed book.

I totaly understand that, but you are assuming the other book hasn't ever in it's comic book life been pressed.

I won 5 books on Comiclink last night so how do I know none of them have never been pressed? The answer is I don't. (shrug)

So if I sell any of them how can I hoenstly say w/o lying to you that any of those 5 books have not been pressed?

OT: R u going to Wondercon? I enjoyed talking to you in SDCC this year. (thumbs u

terrible timing this year. i may get there on Easter Sunday to drop off an unpressed box of raw books for Gemma and crew.

That sucks. Hope to see you though as I will be there with Storms. :hi:

I won 5 books on Comiclink last night so how do I know none of them have never been pressed?

Oh, I just had a great idea. We could sell t-shirts. They could read:

I was :censored: by Jason Ewert, I was :censored: by Danny Dupcak, or I was :censored: by (fill in the blank).

Can someone PM me any info that they have that trimmed books are being submitted to [font:Arial Black]any[/font] site by Jason?

Not kidding. I really want to know. I hang in many circles of our hobby and have not heard anything that shows this is really happening. Have I missed a thread where this has been shown?

Thanks!

Steve "unaware" Borock :blush:

To keep me from reading through another 1300 post pressing thread, could someone please bump the two worthy nuggets of wisdom that were posted way down in the brown, smelly depths of the toilet bowl that is this thread?

I was :censored: by Jason Ewert, I was :censored: by Danny Dupcak, or I was :censored: by (fill in the blank).

...........DrWatson :baiting:

In your dreams, hippie.

Can someone PM me any info that they have that trimmed books are being submitted to [font:Arial Black]any[/font] site by Jason?

Not kidding. I really want to know. I hang in many circles of our hobby and have not heard anything that shows this is really happening. Have I missed a thread where this has been shown?

Thanks!

Are you only interested in proof of trimming, Steve? Or the fact that he remains active? (shrug)

'Cause there's evidence of one out there, but not the other.

Yet. :ohnoez:

In your dreams, hippie.

This ones for you..............

You might say, I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope some day you'll join us

and the world can live as one

- St. John

Thanks!

Are you only interested in proof of trimming, Steve? Or the fact that he remains active? (shrug)

'Cause there's evidence of one out there, but not the other.

Yet. :ohnoez:

Anything ya got will do..........

Unlike pressing, which once people were made aware of became accepted on a level unknown to trimmed books. Sure there was an initial shock because it was an unknown process to most everyone(myself included) but instead of people eventually treating pressed books as if they were trimmed, the exact opposite happened.

I'm sorry Kenny, but you're either being naive or disingenuous.

The main reason that people started thinking that pressing was okay was because CGC said it was okay, and even if they knew a book was pressed, they would give it a blue label (absent any other recognized form of restoration, of course).

Then once they realized that they could resub the pressed books and get higher grades, still in blue labels, and thus get higher prices, the gold rush was on.

Like it or not, this speaks volumes. Even if it were possible to label pressed books as PRESSED people would still entertain buying them, unlike trimmed books.

I seriously doubt this. If CGC had begun PLOD-ing pressed books, the practice would have stopped dead in its tracks. Of this I'm 100% sure.

Just look at color touch. Because of the PLOD, and the fact that collectors weren't distinguishing all that much between levels or types of restoration that were getting a PLOD, color touch as a stand alone restoration technique has virtually stopped

Yes, there would still be people that pressed books to improve their appearance for their personal enjoyment, just like there are people that still get books restored to improve their appearance for their personal enjoyment. But the numbers would be a fraction of what they currently are, because the profit incentive would be gone.

if CGC said that trimming was now okay and that trimming was something they weren't going to consider restoration, i am pretty sure that in a year or so, trimming would be pretty rampant.

you could fill a swimming pool with the number of overhangs that would be taken off the top edges of mid-60s Marvels in the first month

Yup.

In your dreams, hippie.

But I'm not the only one

- St. John

You Know I'm A Dreamer

But My Heart's Of Gold

I Had To Run Away High

So I Wouldn't Come Home Low

In your dreams, hippie.

But I'm not the only one

- St. John

You Know I'm A Dreamer

But My Heart's Of Gold

I Had To Run Away High

So I Wouldn't Come Home Low

Who wrote that?

Mötley Crüe :headbang:

Home Sweet Home.

:headbang:

Cool!

Still like Lennon better!

Will check out the song.

Thanks!

I think even Nikki Sixx might like Lennon better.

:insane:

Nikki wrote that song when they were ending one of their first big tours. They were drugged out, strung out and tired and they couldn't wait to get home.

Personally, I was always a Paul McCartney kind of guy.