• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

The rumor is that Ewert was seen publicly at a CLink auction "preview night" last year along with Brulato and others. And there is a Boardie who received a Ewert invoice that was inadvertantly left in his Clink shipment.

If this is true, it's the most disgusting thing that I've heard about Clink yet and I've never had a high opinion of them. No one in the hobby should be knowingly dealing with that scum.

Wow! If this is true I would never buy or sell on Clink again and my confidence in Josh will go down the drain.

I was hoping that Steve B could help out. If Jason E is back in comics or never left how do we know that he has not been trimming books again and getting them graded? Can CGC detect trimming?

Since my post, I have gotten only 3 pm's, all from people I trust VERY much. Until I have any proof though, it is all hearsay, so I have nothing to report or go on. (shrug)

Yes, CGC (myself included) have gotten much, much better at trimming detection after that mess......

Not really...how could anyone in good conscience perform a service that they know only 10% of the books they work on will ever be sold with any type of disclosure? It's okay to let the other 90% go because you got paid first, so don't give me this Chrissakes BS.

Jim

Jim, your line of reasoning is illogical.

It's like saying that you are personally responsible for who you sell cardboard to because one day someone, somewhere might end up using one of your boxes to box up something illegal.

NOD has nothing to do with this.

If I knew 90% of the boxes I sold were going to be used for something other than their intended purpose and I was president of the boxes for their intended purpose club, I'd quit doing one of them.

Jim

I redact my previous statement.

This logic would close down a lot of industries.

I doubt anyone on these boards has first hand knowledge that Ewert is still selling. There is a lot of second information that is out there. With that said, there is no one that has stated that Ewert is still selling trimmed books, merely that he is once again selling. If someone with first hand information wants to come forward, then by all means, they can if they choose to.

That being said, I think some of these "rumors" are not entirely true. And like a game of telephone, it's not all being relayed correctly.

You may be entirely correct Brian. I don't know. First I heard of this was within the last 24 or so hours.

Of course, I've never seen the fact that something might be a "rumor" stop much in the way of conversation on these boards. Interesting that it is a topic that actually would be of value to collectors on the boards where apparently the choice is made to keep quiet.

Plus if there is an invoice out there though that certainly would seem to indicate hard direct evidence does exist. And I, for one, would be interested in knowing who is allowing Ewert to sell books and if so what precautions, if any, are being taken to ensure he isn't selling trimmed books.

I heard this rumor well over a year and a 1/2 ago.

Who know if it's true, but I figure someone would have spilled the beans by now.

Well unless there is some kind of secret blood oath at these "preview nights". hm

Seriously it wouldn't surprise me if he was still in the hobby, but I doubt he is still micro-trimming, as the risk is to great to get caught again.

How many people actually attend these Clink preview nights? If Ewert attended one in late 2008, I doubt he would be "unnoticed" by the other attendees as I'm sure most of them (Brulato, Josh, etc) knew him from before so I don't think there would be any reason to doubt whoever said they saw him, since the sighting should easily be verifiable by other attendees.

There's always lots of secrecy and hearsay and lack of 1st-hand accounts of these types of things, but if this really happened, I don't see why the "witness" can't share the story. What am I missing? (shrug)

The rumor is that Ewert was seen publicly at a CLink auction "preview night" last year along with Brulato and others. And there is a Boardie who received a Ewert invoice that was inadvertantly left in his Clink shipment.

If this is true, it's the most disgusting thing that I've heard about Clink yet and I've never had a high opinion of them. No one in the hobby should be knowingly dealing with that scum.

Wow! If this is true I would never buy or sell on Clink again and my confidence in Josh will go down the drain.

This is why it is not out in the open if it is true. Who wants to deal with anyone associated with Ewert. I've heard rumblings about it in the past year, but no proof has surfaced. I heard about the invoice before as well, but that's it.

I doubt anyone on these boards has first hand knowledge that Ewert is still selling.

Wrong.

Wrong. :o

Wow that summed it up quite nicely.

The proof you have provided is ground breaking. (worship)

Thanks for posting. (thumbs u

I doubt anyone on these boards has first hand knowledge that Ewert is still selling. There is a lot of second information that is out there. With that said, there is no one that has stated that Ewert is still selling trimmed books, merely that he is once again selling. If someone with first hand information wants to come forward, then by all means, they can if they choose to.

That being said, I think some of these "rumors" are not entirely true. And like a game of telephone, it's not all being relayed correctly.

You may be entirely correct Brian. I don't know. First I heard of this was within the last 24 or so hours.

Of course, I've never seen the fact that something might be a "rumor" stop much in the way of conversation on these boards. Interesting that it is a topic that actually would be of value to collectors on the boards where apparently the choice is made to keep quiet.

Plus if there is an invoice out there though that certainly would seem to indicate hard direct evidence does exist. And I, for one, would be interested in knowing who is allowing Ewert to sell books and if so what precautions, if any, are being taken to ensure he isn't selling trimmed books.

I heard this rumor well over a year and a 1/2 ago.

Who know if it's true, but I figure someone would have spilled the beans by now.

Well unless there is some kind of secret blood oath at these "preview nights". hm

Seriously it wouldn't surprise me if he was still in the hobby, but I doubt he is still micro-trimming, as the risk is to great to get caught again.

How many people actually attend these Clink preview nights? If Ewert attended one in late 2008, I doubt he would be "unnoticed" by the other attendees as I'm sure most of them (Brulato, Josh, etc) knew him from before so I don't think there would be any reason to doubt whoever said they saw him, since the sighting should easily be verifiable by other attendees.

There's always lots of secrecy and hearsay and lack of 1st-hand accounts of these types of things, but if this really happened, I don't see why the "witness" can't share the story. What am I missing? (shrug)

Apparently something that quite a number of us are missing. :taptaptap:(shrug)

I was hoping that Steve B could help out. If Jason E is back in comics or never left how do we know that he has not been trimming books again and getting them graded? Can CGC detect trimming?

Since my post, I have gotten only 3 pm's, all from people I trust VERY much. Until I have any proof though, it is all hearsay, so I have nothing to report or go on. (shrug)

Yes, CGC (myself included) have gotten much, much better at trimming detection after that mess......

Do let us know if you find out something Steve.

I am consigning materials to the next CL auction and this is something I'd like to know more about, especially since - and more importantly - I have been buying CL books also.

Still, I am becoming almost as much interested in trying to understand why some forumites who apparently have information that would constitute direct evidence are hiding this information from the rest of our family. :popcorn:

Do let us know if you find out something Steve.

I am consigning materials to the next CL auction and this is something I'd like to know more about, especially since - and more importantly - I have been buying CL books also.

Still, I am becoming almost as much interested in trying to understand why some forumites who apparently have information that would constitute direct evidence are hiding this information from the rest of our family. :popcorn:

The problem I have is every time someone talks negative about Clink the thread gets locked. So I assume someone from Clink complains to the mods, with that being said why don't Clink speak up on this matter? (shrug)

I doubt anyone on these boards has first hand knowledge that Ewert is still selling.

Wrong.

I've known Cliff for a long time, and he wouldn't be us. :o

Dan, talk to him and see if he could is willing to give details.

Wrong.

I've known Cliff for a long time, and he wouldn't be us. :o

No proof or anything of substance, so no one is going to care unless he mans up and says what he knows.

Which is probably hearsay anyway, just like the rest of us.

Honestly, would anyone be surprised if JE is still in the hobby? (shrug)

It's not like he was reprimanded in any criminal/civil prosecution brought against him, so the real question is why wouldn't he be.

Josh N. and C-Link would stand to lose more than they would gain with him being around, so you do the math.

Either way there will always going be scumbags in this hobby. There is someone doing something wrong/immoral in the hobby right now as we speak. Just look some of the eBay sellers we caught selling restored books as un-restored as we speak.

The main thing we should all be concerned with is assurance from CGC that they have the most advanced technique to catch all forms of restorations, especially micro-trimming. That's what I want to know.

The main thing we should all be concerned with is assurance from CGC that they have the most advanced technique to catch all forms of restorations, especially micro-trimming. That's what I want to know.

After having an ASM121 I bought off the rack return in a slab with the "trimmed" designation, I don't think it's as simple or as foolproof as you'd like it to be.

After having an ASM121 I bought off the rack return in a slab with the "trimmed" designation, I don't think it's as simple or as foolproof as you'd like it to be.

That's my point.

Nothing is perfect, but they should be 99% of the time in terms of retro checks.