• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

I'm sure you have mentioned it before, but I can't recall. Are you going to be selling CGC graded books in your new shop?

Of course I am.

And what's that got to do with the price of fish? (shrug)

Nothing, I couldn't remember. Not everything I type has some sinister undercurrent... most things, but not everything.

I'm sure you have mentioned it before, but I can't recall. Are you going to be selling CGC graded books in your new shop?

Of course I am.

And what's that got to do with the price of fish? (shrug)

Nothing, I couldn't remember. Not everything I type has some sinister undercurrent... most things, but not everything.

:/

How about this, trimming has been rejected by almost the entire comic book community and there is clear establishment that a trimmed comic book sells for less... so it would clearly be "fraudulent" to pass a trimmed comic book as original.

If we turned the clock back 10 years and CGC policy was that "small amounts of trimming that left the book within off-the-press variances are impossible to detect with any consistancy, thus will garner a blue unrestored label."

Would trimming still be rejected by almost the entire comic book community?

With out a doubt, some people would be all over it to make money from it. Would it be accepted anywhere near the same capacity as pressing? I don't think so, but I can only speak for myself, and I will never not be disgusted by trimming.

Just recently there has been attention brought to the fact that using tape on a book will get it a better grade from CGC. This policy is not popular in the slightest. Of course there are those that will take advantage of this policy, but it is clear that a large majority disagree with it, including those that don't oppose pressing. To not understand the difference between pressing and trimming demonstrates a lack of rational and logical thinking.

And here I was worried I missed something in the last 2 months..

Nothing much my friend.

However, if you have not heard Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, and Barry Bonds not only take steroids, but now press comic books .

Nothing much my friend.

However, if you have not heard Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, and Barry Bonds not only take steroids, but now press comic books .

So that makes two things I dont give a :censored: about

lol

:hi:

I will be contacting you shortly. We need to talk my friend, hope all is well with you and the family buddy! :hi:

lol

:hi:

I will be contacting you shortly. We need to talk my friend, hope all is well with you and the family buddy! :hi:

Quite manic, but it's all good. (thumbs u

Hope you're doing well, Pat, and all the best to you and yours for 2010. :foryou:

Nothing much my friend.

So that makes two things I dont give a :censored: about

lol

Oh, and tth2, with all the high dollar, high grade books you have bought and sold through Heritage, how many books do you think that afforded them to acquire and have pressed with the commissions they made off the transactions?

I really hope the underpinning assertion here is not, if you own CGC books, or deal w/ Heritage then you can't question the practices of either entity.

No, not at all. However, since everyone loves over the top analogies, how can one complain about the war in Afghanistan and then continue to send funds to the Taliban?

hm CGC = Taliban?

Not sure about that theory, I just can't imagine Paul Litch with a Beard. :insane:

There is no theory my friend, trimming obviously takes away from a book.

I don’t have to assume, but I know that 99% of the comic collectors out there view trimming as the most destructive thing you can do to a comic book. We all know the 1% of people who fit in that equation are trimming for profit and deceit only to cheat people.

While trimming is a destructive "cheat", usually part of a scam attempt, do most collectors consider trimming the most invasive "not-restoration" treatment? (shrug)

A disclosed micro-sliver off an edge (PLOD) seems much less invasive than an undisclosed (Blue) complete disassembly-press-reassembly. At least with the micro-trim the book is still 99.99% intact and of factory vintage.

With a complete disassembly 100% of the original vintage book-assembly is toast. Reassembly creates a new modern "book", just made from old parts. That seems near the pentacle of "invasive".

Yeah, I'm probably alone in that conclusion, and :screwy: to boot. But, there you go. :blush:

I don’t have to assume, but I know that 99% of the comic collectors out there view trimming as the most destructive thing you can do to a comic book. We all know the 1% of people who fit in that equation are trimming for profit and deceit only to cheat people.

While trimming is a destructive "cheat", usually part of a scam attempt, do most collectors consider trimming the most invasive "not-restoration" treatment? (shrug)

A disclosed micro-sliver off an edge (PLOD) seems much less invasive than an undisclosed (Blue) complete disassembly-press-reassembly. At least with the micro-trim the book is still 99.99% intact and of factory vintage.

With a complete disassembly 100% of the original vintage book-assembly is toast. Reassembly creates a new modern "book", just made from old parts. That seems near the pentacle of "invasive".

Yeah, I'm probably alone in that conclusion, and :screwy: to boot. But, there you go. :blush:

I am sure you are not alone as there must be others who are just as :screwy:

:ohnoez:

How about they just grade what it would be without disassembling it?

I am sure you are not alone as there must be others who are just as :screwy:

:ohnoez:

Thanks. That's reassuring. meh

:insane::whee:

What? That's crazy - with a complete disassembly & re-assembly, 100% of the original book is still intact.

That's like saying if I take my computer apart and put all the pieces back together again, it's suddenly a different computer :screwy:

I personally feel that disassembly of the book should result in a purple label. Any books that I have pressed are NOT disassembled. I am pretty sure this is the case for almost everyone who is working on books. I personally know of no one who is having this process done.

I can't believe that you are trying to claim that trimming is minimally invasive.

Why would you even brind disassembly of a book into the picture. I cannot see myself looking at a comic with a non-color breaking crease and going "If I take it completely apart it will be much better than new". I don't see your logic.

The time to disassemble a book would price a straight pressing out of the reach of most (dealers included). I could only see this as part of additional restorative processes being done at the same time.

Regarding pressing and trimming being the same I ask you try something for me. Ask a good friend to place a piece of plywood over your hand. Then add a 15 pound weight over it. Leave it in place for an hour.

Now I want you to ask another friend to put your hand into a paper trimmer and slice off the tips of your fingers. Let me know if it's the same to you.