• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko Spidey Splash - your for $100K

70 posts in this topic

So most folks feel this Spidey splash is and that's fair enough, then which is the most desirable Ditko Spidey splash?

Good question. Time to get the Essential's out.

I would take #4's page one..

or one of the chapter splashes from Annual #1

As a reptile lover with a house full of Lizards....the one from # 6 would suit me, even though there are many more tightly rendered. I also love the splash for 19, 25 ,and definitely any of the chapter splashes from Annual 1....preferably Sandman or Vulture. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

man, i just cannot get into original comic art that costs half the price of a normal home.

i just do not see the value. this naturally assumes i had the money to blow, which

i do not.

i cannot pick because i have not read those issues in ages.

not only is his in the air, but his foot is in front of his face, so you can't even see his face! No wonder it's being sold, awful shot.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't recall one single image of Spider-Man in costume where I can see his face :baiting:

And as for the shot, Ditko was famous for giving Spidey his wiry, contortionist qualities, and posing him realistically in that manner. From a Ditko standpoint, this is a pretty good splash!

100K? No way, but I'd be happy to have this splash personally.

Hari; I agree, I too think this is a really nice splash and would love to own it... just don't have a spare 100k lying around right now. Ditko is famous for his twisting contorted views and this one fills the bill in my opinion. Dan

I used to own the Dr. Strange splash too. I traded it for the splash from "Flash of 2 Worlds" (Flash #123) by Infantino, back in 1978.

Mitch I.

That's a cool trade. It's tough for newer collectors to appreciate, but individual pages are a more recent phenomenon. These books, or "guts" as they were often referred to as, often times traded hands complete. Pages were a few hundred each and splashes were in the low four figures. It's a lot easier to appreciate these splashes when their costs represented spending money and not significant amounts of money. Even in 1978, I'm sure most of us who don't like that Ditko ASM splash at 100K would have loved it for a few hundred dollars.

Mitch had the privilege of putting the splash on the wall and enjoying it as a nice piece of art. Unfortunately, anyone who owns or will own that splash now has to also look at it as a commodity and scrutinize it as something of great value.

Well, perhaps by now you've all had a chance to re-peruse those essentials or books and are finding out that Ditko was not Kirby and that the spidey splashes have a unique and special styling but don't usually jump out at you and hit you over the head. In my opinion, looking at them all together, reaffirms my belief that the one for sale is indeed pretty special. Having said that I too have my favorites, and besides the one I own they are #'s 1, 4, 9, 17, 20, 21, 36. But, I also know that I most likely won't have a shot at another one...

I am going to have to go through old issues to pick out my favorite Spidey splash, but from the two Ditko splashes displayed together at SDCC, I prefer the Dr. Strange page.

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv328/westform/sandiego2009ditkosplashes.jpg[/img

If I remember correctly, the Dr. Strange splash was 135K at WW Chicago last year

I wonder if the art of the 90's and recent Y2K Decade will spark the same nosalgia (as well as feverish demand, frenzied bidding wars and higher prices) in 10 to 30 years as the kids who read those books grow up and grow to appreciate and afford collecting original art.

Will people be posting up splash pages and covers of Lady Death, Darkchylde, Witchblade, WildCATS, Spawn, Cry for Dawn, etc to the envy of the hobby's eye?

Will artists like J.Scott Campbell, Jim Lee, and Michael Turner be the Ditko, Kirby and Infantino's of the future?

...and should I now be hording all of the original art instead of investing in my 401k in anticipation of that? :) j/k :)