• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Mound City resubmits begin!

162 posts in this topic

But with that Sensation, that was considered a dust shadow, OK, but I say it's light tanning, where part of the cover was exposed to the elements over a period of time.

I still haven't figured out how to tell the difference between particles on the surface and discoloration of the paper, have you? It all looks like discoloration to me. (shrug)

I suspect you'd need a microscope to tell whether the discoloration is UV light related or dust deposition related.

the one pictured shows the paper has been tanned/browned by exposure to sunlight.

now whether certain books have light tanning that is evident in the front, but not in the inside, or are evident both inside and out, sure one can be graded a little more strict than the other, but essentially, you have some sun light exposure, and there should be a grade award limit on that type of defect.

If I see it that severe in the front, then I don't give a rats aaaass if it shows up inside, it's ugly, it's flawed, it's damaged and should not be in the near mint range.

:sumo:(tsk)meh <3

the one pictured shows the paper has been tanned/browned by sunlight.

When I asked if you knew how to tell the difference between tanning, sun shadows, and dust shadows, why'd you say "no" then? It appears you know the Sensation 1 is a sun shadow and not a dust shadow. How can you tell? (shrug)

when I wrote, "no".

it was in response to your quote, in regards to this part:

"it's permanent discoloration of the paper, I presume CGC downgrades for it more, and if there's a shadow on a 9.4/9.6, I presume it's a removable dust shadow."

I said, "no" meaning it's not removable. I think your presumption is wrong.

I'm going by 26 years of collecting and some dealings. I had seen countless books that were from collections that were stacked up, misaligned, and exposed to some sort of light, or acidic materials.

It doesn't come off, and I know when I see it.

Also, I think Matt Nelson, or some sort of professional would have cleaned up any so called dust shadow that was removable. It's basically called, "a white rub or kneaded eraser". Otherwise to get a blue label, it's not removable.

I hope this helps.

I'm going by 26 years of collecting and some dealings. I had seen countless books that were from collections that were stacked up, misaligned, and exposed to some sort of light, or acidic materials.

It doesn't come off, and I know when I see it.

On this Sensation 1, what about the shadow characterizes it as caused by sunlight and not by dust? HOW do you know it when you see it?

Also, I think Matt Nelson, or some sort of professional would have cleaned up any so called dust shadow that was removable. It's basically called a white rub eraser. Otherwise to get a blue label, it's not removable.

I figure resubmitters choose not to remove dust shadows because CGC barely downgrades for them. I rather wish CGC would downgrade more for them...I hate the idea of owning a 9.4 or a 9.6 with a big, discolored stripe down the side. :screwy: However, the idea that they choose not to downgrade much for dust shadows makes more sense to me than Haspel going through some kind of grading mood swings.

rad59f772009529184526.jpg

when I see this book above,( along with many books that have this flaw) the stripe to the side, along the edge,...it is not from dust.

For one thing it's yellowed, browned, tanned.

I guess I don't know how to describe this in words. Anyone else care to chime in?

the one pictured shows the paper has been tanned/browned by exposure to sunlight.

now whether certain books have light tanning that is evident in the front, but not in the inside, or are evident both inside and out, sure one can be graded a little more strict than the other, but essentially, you have some sun light exposure, and there should be a grade award limit on that type of defect.

If I see it that severe in the front, than I don't give a rats aaaass if it shows up inside, it's ugly, its flawed, and should not be in the near mint range.

I agree. It's an aesthetic defect that shouldn't be present in a 9.4. Aesthetics should be the overriding consideration in assigning grade, IMHO. Severe angle miswraps in 9.6/9.8 fit the same bill for me.

rad59f772009529184526.jpg

when I see this book above,( along with many books that have this flaw) the stripe to the side, along the edge,...it is not from dust.

For one thing it's yellowed, browned, tanned.

I guess I don't know how to describe this in words. Anyone else care to chime in?

How do you know? The MC books sat in a dark closet for years, where the protruding edges would have allowed dust accumulation in that very pattern. Do you have a way to distinguish? How would dust shadowing look different?

fine, if not by some sort of light, even fluorescent lighting, then the air / heat that came into contact to the exposed areas. Sometimes the acid from a card board box as well.

anyways, my point is, most of the time it is not reversible, and doesn't get a break because someone thinks someone down the line can and will clean it up. Just like a book that is an 8.0 currently that can be pressed into a 9.4, doesn't get a split grade of a 9.0 or 9.2, because it's not permanent, and the grader gives out a consolation prize of a grade as a result.

I'm out of here for now.

cheers.

I'm still dumbfounded that the JIM #85 got a 9.6. That book had a HARD long crease on the back cover. Amazing.

does anyone know who won the book from mound city?

My guess is that it was won by the guy you asked. :baiting:

Goldfinger, seems anything Doug Schmell submits get's a huge bump.

Glad to see people are tracking this . This is a wonderful hobby we`re in, isn`t it? :sick:

People are tracking it, but few seem to care. Every dealer, auction house and small-time flipper is hitting 70 home runs on 'roids and slapping each other on the back as they trot around the bases on the way to home bank, uh, I mean, home plate. Higher grades, more money, high-fives and (worship) all around.

And people think *I'm* crazy. :screwy:

I'm with you, Tim - this just makes me :sick:

Glad to see people are tracking this . This is a wonderful hobby we`re in, isn`t it? :sick:

People are tracking it, but few seem to care. Every dealer, auction house and small-time flipper is hitting 70 home runs on 'roids and slapping each other on the back as they trot around the bases on the way to home bank, uh, I mean, home plate. Higher grades, more money, high-fives and (worship) all around.

Hey Gene, this is in large part why I have walked away from buying comics. I have my 1976 project but I am staying with books in the 8.0 range and raw so I don't really care if they have been restored and the dealer doesn't disclose to me. I can usually spot the bad press jobs on these books and don't buy those. I think if you are in the camp that believes pressing is restoration, then you are pretty much stuck with having to assume everything is restored. That is where I am at right now which is why I don't buy much since I only pay restored book prices.

Sorry Gene, but using steroids in your agruement is utter non-sense.

Makes sense to me

Sorry Gene, but using steroids in your argument is utter non-sense.

Makes sense to me

It would. :taptaptap:

Stop being ing a Mets Fans for a minute and listen.

Pressing= Legal and it's out in the open for everyone to use the service

Steroids= illegal-you are adding material to your body that was never their before.

Makes sense to me

You look at things differently as you're pro-pressing :baiting: Take off the glasses

Makes sense to me

You look at things differently as you're pro-pressing :baiting: Take off the glasses

meh

Makes sense to me

Stop being ing a Mets Fans for a minute and listen.

Pressing= Legal and it's out in the open for everyone to use the service

Steroids= illegal-you are adding material to your body that was never there before.