• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Mound City resubmits begin!

162 posts in this topic

Looks like a few Mound City resubmits are in the upcoming Pedigree auction. I only looked at the Fantastic Fours, but the #3 went from 9.0 to 9.2 (selling for $12,075 at 9.0), and even bigger, the #5 went from 9.2 to 9.4 (selling for $25,200 at 9.2). :o

Anyone see other significant resubmits?

ff3ga7.jpgff5ga7.jpg

Well with such a big pic to go by am sure we wont have any problem giving an opinion :baiting:

Eh even with a big pic we almost certainly couldn't tell, you need the book in hand to know, which is why the people who trekked to the Mound City auction in person made out so well, they were able to identify resubmit candidates whereas us lazy Internet bidders weren't. (shrug)

I'm quite surprised by the grade on the FF #3. Look at the big spinner-rack crease to the left of the "Fantasti-Car" text, it looks like two creases, one that's 1/2" long and another that's 1/4". Never seen a 9.2 with creases that bad. Certainly the rest of the book looks perfect, but still... hm

Are all these jumps in grade just from Pressing?

it is the nature of third party grading. all of them started out more conservative but

over time they loosen up. how else do you get previously slabbed material to be

resubmitted for more revenue?

over time every important comic seeks out the highest grade possible and then

is tombed for life. and woe is the collector who cannot realize when something

is over graded and tries it again.

it is all so humorous because most people just go along with it as normal. dealers

love it. buy up your old collections and resubmit for upgrades making big bucks.

comic doctors love it because they know people love a slightly higher point grade on

that little paper label. "my copy is a 9.4. see? yours is only 9.2. ROFL. Mine is

the finest known."

one can even consider tpgs to possibly be ranking important comics.. with a numeric grade

instead of grading them based on preservation. But that is usually reserved for

only the most important stuff.

I'm quite surprised by the grade on the FF #3. Look at the big spinner-rack crease to the left of the "Fantasti-Car" text, it looks like two creases, one that's 1/2" long and another that's 1/4". Never seen a 9.2 with creases that bad. Certainly the rest of the book looks perfect, but still... hm

That's probably because Steve L or Doug S probably re-submitted them.

A few select individuals somehow seem to consistently get the weakest grades I've ever seen.

hm

Looks like a few Mound City resubmits are in the upcoming Pedigree auction. I only looked at the Fantastic Fours, but the #3 went from 9.0 to 9.2 (selling for $12,075 at 9.0), and even bigger, the #5 went from 9.2 to 9.4 (selling for $25,200 at 9.2). :o

Anyone see other significant resubmits?

ff3ga7.jpgff5ga7.jpg

The #3 looks a bit harsh for a 9.2.

Does that FF # 5 have a light crease on the bottom right hand corner?

:sick:

Was going to post the same thing. Soft 9.2.

[Does that FF # 5 have a light crease on the bottom right hand corner?

:sick:

It's possible, but I lean towards no. It's so light I'm not sure it rules it out of 9.4 even if it is there, I'd have to see it in person.

As Foolkiller said, it's the dust shadow I mind the most, although certainly CGC is consistent in not downgrading much for those, I presume because they can often be cleaned off and don't point at aging of the paper. A LOT of the Mound City books have dust shadows on the right side, the AF15 had one too.

Speaking of the AF15, where is it? I would have expected it to be up for sale by now in a new holder and grade. (shrug)

Wow! :o Wonder if I should crack my FF 9 CGC 8.5 and resubmit. :idea:

Any thoughts?

ff9CGC85.jpg

Well you could do.......or you could just appreciate a nice high grade comic when you've got one.