• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple of questions.

6 posts in this topic

I spent a few hours tonite looking at a neighbors books. He wants to sell them as one lot.

Most are Silver Age, with a splattering of early Bronze. 85% Marvel.

For the most part, the grading was fairly straightforward. He'd graded them and priced them using Overstreet 37. I came in a full grade lower on almost every book. His NMs were closer to VFs, and a lot of his Fs were VGs.

Had a few books I need help with.

FF 24- A very solid VG/F but it has a very old piece of scotch tape, about a half inch long on the front cover. Doesn't appear to be covering any defect, it's just there.

A beautiful Thor 169- VF+ except it has a small oil stain, half the size of a dime on the back cover that bleeds thru to the last wrap.

A nice book whose number I forget, but it's a white cover that someone scribbled pen lines over about 10% of the front cover. Just swirls, no writing or design. I'd call it a 7.0 without that one defect.

Any thoughts on how to grade those three books would be appreciated.

Also,I realize this is the wrong forum for my next question but don't want to start a whole other thread.

It's roughly 300 books, all mylar'd and with acid free BBs, with a rough Overstreet 38 book value of about $8500. He's hoping to sell to a dealer or collector in one shot. Care to express what percent of guide he can expect. He's hoping for 45-50%, but is already upset because he figured they were worth closer to $15,000 than the $8500 I came up with. He says he advertised on Craigs List last year and the only guy to actually follow up and see the books offered him $1200.

FF 24- A very solid VG/F but it has a very old piece of scotch tape, about a half inch long on the front cover. Doesn't appear to be covering any defect, it's just there.

Sounds like a 2.5/3.0.

A beautiful Thor 169- VF+ except it has a small oil stain, half the size of a dime on the back cover that bleeds thru to the last wrap.

Fine+ 6.5 or so.

A nice book whose number I forget, but it's a white cover that someone scribbled pen lines over about 10% of the front cover. Just swirls, no writing or design. I'd call it a 7.0 without that one defect.

Sounds like a 4.0

Also,I realize this is the wrong forum for my next question but don't want to start a whole other thread.

It's roughly 300 books, all mylar'd and with acid free BBs, with a rough Overstreet 38 book value of about $8500. He's hoping to sell to a dealer or collector in one shot. Care to express what percent of guide he can expect. He's hoping for 45-50%, but is already upset because he figured they were worth closer to $15,000 than the $8500 I came up with. He says he advertised on Craigs List last year and the only guy to actually follow up and see the books offered him $1200.

Sounds like he should have taken it if he wanted to sell them all in one shot. If he priced them out individually and sold them one at a time on ebay, he might get double that.

he will be upset for a long time until he realized that he can either spend 100 hours or more selling on Ebay and with all the headaches...or selling for $4k or less and avoid the headaches. He must take into account the likely buyer is a dealer and that person needs to make a profit also.

Given that the books sound to be common midgrade, one could only hope to sell them for 50% of guide under the best of circumstances.

So as a seller, I presume you'd offer him maybe 30% of that which is about 15% of full guide price. So it sounds like the previous offer of $1,200 was on the mark.

(shrug)

I'm not in the buying mode right now. He "hired" me to evaluate the collection.

They are mostly mid-grade, but also mostly key or semi-key books.

As an example, he had four TOS 58s, and two 59s. His Caps were all Sterenkos, his DDs had either Spidey or Cap as guest stars, his otherFFs were 26,48-50,52 and FF Annual 6. His Avengers were 2, 9, 16 and 57

I'm thinking an ebay auction with lots of pictures would do at least 2,000. Perhaps more.

Thanks for everyones opinions.

here is another simplistic view to bring to him. Lets say you/he pick the best and most worthwhile books in that lot and out of 300 and you two came up with 100 that is $20 or more. Lets say it takes 5 minutes to scan, price and list each book on Ebay, does he want to it? If he has nothing better to do and needs the money, he should spend the 10 hours dealing with taking pics and scanning and listing 100 books and perhaps realizing $2 to $3k. Time is money, so one way or another, the buyer will incorporate the time and cost of flipping these books so he might better off paying himself to do the grunt work.