• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Since CGC, which year had the best books come to market?

13 posts in this topic

It appears this year will be a strong start. Which other year, since CGC, saw the best books come to market (and which books were they)?

The last decade has been a complete and total revelation for collectors like me, people who started collecting in the very late 80's/early 90's.

By the time I started, all the quality, high grade books from Silver and Gold had been sucked out of the marketplace. Oh, sure, I could go to Wondercon and see 5 copies of Superman #1 at Metropolis' booth...but they were all low grade.

Eventually, I got to the point where I believed that high grade books prior to 1975 just didn't exist....

And then came CGC.

And boy, have I never been gladder to be proven wrong.

I couldn't pick any one year...after the 15-25 year "closet nap" high grade books took, it's just been one long parade of beautiful, beautiful books.

I couldn't pick any one year...after the 15-25 year "closet nap" high grade books took, it's just been one long parade of beautiful, beautiful books.

Of course, as all the serious funny book investors are using CGC to hit record profits on their long-term portfolios.

The last decade has been a complete and total revelation for collectors like me, people who started collecting in the very late 80's/early 90's.

As strongly as we disagreed in the other thread, I agree with you in this one. The convergence of CGC and eBay, and major market sites have been fantastic for me as well.

Certification did wonders to bring books out of hibernation, but it also marginalized certain collectors and books.

Not a slam against CGC, but a byproduct of the grading craze inevitably produced a narrow-minded subset of the collector market perfectly content with basing collecting goals on the next hot trend.

Because of this mindset of seeking books for CGC's eyes only, IMHO its allowed a significant overlooking and inadvertent snubbing to happen that will translate in the best years still yet to come. (thumbs u

Must be the introduction of the Rocky Mountain pedigree.

I mean, a collection of high grade SA Marvels from 1965 onwards?! Wow!!!! How often does that happen?! What are the chances of that ever happening again?

Must be the introduction of the Rocky Mountain pedigree.

I mean, a collection of high grade SA Marvels from 1965 onwards?! Wow!!!! How often does that happen?! What are the chances of that ever happening again?

lol

Not withstanding the Pedigrees that have come to market since CGC, but I mean to include all sales.

I remember reading that in Sept 2000, Metropolis sold the AF15 9.6 for a "measly" $140,000. Or was last year, 2009, a more notable year in that CC sold the Action1 6.0 for $317,200 (the most expensive book ever to be sold)?

As strongly as we disagreed in the other thread, I agree with you in this one. The convergence of CGC and eBay, and major market sites have been fantastic for me as well.

Gee, thanks.

lol

Not withstanding the Pedigrees that have come to market since CGC, but I mean to include all sales.

I remember reading that in Sept 2000, Metropolis sold the AF15 9.6 for a "measly" $140,000. Or was last year, 2009, a more notable year in that CC sold the Action1 6.0 for $317,200 (the most expensive book ever to be sold)?

I was thinking last year as well since there were multiple Action #1s available.

I was thinking last year as well since there were multiple Action #1s available.

Early 2000s had that happen too. I think Heritage at one point had 3 auctions in a row featuring an Action 1.