• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The amazing market of Bone #1

40 posts in this topic

(Obviously as "valiantman", I should point out Harbinger #1 and Solar #10, but the most recent sales of those are under $500 for CGC 9.8.)

It's incredible how many $300-$350 sales have come up with Harbinger 1 CGC 9.8s. That book drastically came down.

(Obviously as "valiantman", I should point out Harbinger #1 and Solar #10, but the most recent sales of those are under $500 for CGC 9.8.)

It's incredible how many $300-$350 sales have come up with Harbinger 1 CGC 9.8s. That book drastically came down.

Yep... clearly supply and demand.

When there were only a dozen or so copies, it was $2,000.

Now that there are four dozen copies... it's closer to $2,000 divided by four.

Makes sense to me...

I just don't believe that all those recent 9.8s weren't 9.6 in earlier years.

Across the board, CGC is giving 9.8s a lot more than they used to.

Thanks, guys... I appreciate the honest answers... I had never heard of this book until a few random mentions here on the boards concerning modern hot books. So, all I have ever seen is the cover, and I thought "Hmm, kiddie book drek" and moved on. The fact that this comic has made it into the Scholastic publishing run, and is praised so highly by adults as well, is AWESOME! Now I understand the reasoning behind the purchase. Please, don't ever take my questions concerning values versus the books I know as being derogatory toward the book in question. It is merely my ongoing effort to alleviate my own ignorance.

Getting comics into the hands of kids is never a bad thing!

Jeff Smith was in town for a signing at a large bookstore here in Toronto late last year. The store had allocated 2 hours for the signing and the store was woefully unprepared to handle the crowd that awaited Jeff. I got to the signing an hour early and was about 150th in line. Afterwards, the lineup started to swell, and the store had to re-arrange the waiting line to the point where we were all crammed in like sardines in a can. Finally, they had to cut off the lineup. Jeff, being the trooper that he is, stayed well beyond his scheduled time, but I don't think he could have possibly signed for everyone.

By the way, the lineup consisted 99.9% of kids under the age of 12, accompanied by their parents or grandparents. Only one other fella and myself were 'old timers' that followed the comic pre-Scolastic days.

Jeff was friendly and engagin with everyone, and welcomed photos with the kids and their families. He stopped signing once, only briefly to give his signing hand a rest.

As to people's comments regarding the value of Bone #1, with so few 1st printings, you have to realize guide value is ridiculously low and does not reflect true market value. And you can make that statement with so many books - Overstreet has become more of an information guide than an accurate price guide so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

As to people's comments regarding the value of Bone #1, with so few 1st printings, you have to realize guide value is ridiculously low and does not reflect true market value. And you can make that statement with so many books - Overstreet has become more of an information guide than an accurate price guide so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Do you think demand will raise prices on all grades, though? Or just 9.6s and 9.8s?

About ten years ago (before I got a little savier) I paid about $45 for a 1st printing Bone #1, which I thought was kind of high.

But, I wanted it, and didn't have the patience at the time to search out or wait for a higher grade copy to come along. Now in hindsight I'm thinking I should have held out for a better copy.

Why?????? Why would someone spend ~5000 on this book? Congrats to mschmidt, indeed! But, seriously, can someone explain the appeal of this book to me? That 5 grand could buy a couple of Gaines file copies, and have some change for a nice Fiction House or two! What is the reasoning behind this?

What I collect is great, what you collect is worthless.

Do you think demand will raise prices on all grades, though? Or just 9.6s and 9.8s?

About ten years ago (before I got a little savier) I paid about $45 for a 1st printing Bone #1, which I thought was kind of high.

But, I wanted it, and didn't have the patience at the time to search out or wait for a higher grade copy to come along. Now in hindsight I'm thinking I should have held out for a better copy.

$45 for just about ANY condition Bone #1 1st print was money WELL spent, IMO.

I wouldn't mind having a full run with lower grades filling in the early issues :)

That's a really tough call to make because the majority of Jeff's fan base now is school kids and really what you're asking me is whether enough of these Scholastic book readers will become comic collectors, grow up with nostalgia for original Bone comics, and seek out 1st print copies of Bone #1.

Wish I had a crystal ball (shrug)

I've been trying to put together a moderately high grade set of first prints for years. I FINALLY tracked down a #4 and #5....and this was nothing but sheer luck...VF/NM and NM, respectively...for $1 each at a used book store a few weeks ago.

I've been looking to buy these books for 12 years.

Now, granted, I could have spent the big bucks...but, of course, getting what you want for next to nothing is a large part of the thrill for me.

Don't have a #1 OR #3 first print.

It's funny, about 4 years ago, there was a guy who heavily, heavily bought Bone....this was when the census had ZERO 9.8 #1s, and 1 or 2 9.8s for the rest....and he got his sets graded, and had 4-5 copies of every book in 9.4, 9.6, and even 9.8...except #1. The highest he went for that was 9.6

He tried to sell the whole shebang....maybe 50 books or so, all #1-20, CGC graded...for $5,500. At the time, I thought that was an incredibly ambitious asking price.

Now....I think it's pretty cheap.

He tried to sell the whole shebang....maybe 50 books or so, all #1-20, CGC graded...for $5,500. At the time, I thought that was an incredibly ambitious asking price.

Did he sell them?

Did he sell them?

I was corresponding with him at the time, and if I recall correctly, he broke the lot up over a period of time, after trying to sell it all at once.

I did a little research at Worthopedia and GPA, and found the scattering of auctions from late 2006 and 2007.