• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question(s) for the comic book historians

27 posts in this topic

It seems like it was up to the artist's discretion to sign or not sign. As mentioned, plenty of artists signed their work in the GA and early SA, but rarely were they listed in "credits" like became standard after during the Marvel Age.

In the Atom Age, I know DC listed writers but not artists on stories that appeared in their sci-fi books.

So no one is mentioning OUTSIDE factors that may affect putting one's name on the cover of a comic book?

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/culture/2/Literature/Jewish_American_Literature/Into_the_Literary_Mainstream/Comic_Books.shtml

That's why a lot of them changed their names.

:gossip:

There were a few artists that signed their comic work: Schomburg (already mentioned, and also as "Xela"), Biro, Wood, Ditko signed many of his Atomic Age works (The Thing!, Racket Squad), Frazetta, Simon & Kirby occasionally (Stuntman, Bulls-eye, Fighting American)

And let's not forget Joe Maneely :cloud9:

There were a few artists that signed their comic work: Schomburg (already mentioned, and also as "Xela"), Biro, Wood, Ditko signed many of his Atomic Age works (The Thing!, Racket Squad), Frazetta, Simon & Kirby occasionally (Stuntman, Bulls-eye, Fighting American)

And let's not forget Joe Maneely :cloud9:

Which I did doh!

I flipped through my copy of The Illustrator in America 1860-2000 and found the following three names:

Art Spiegelman

Bill Sienkiewicz

Jeff Jones

I guess that Jim Steranko did a fair amount of non-comic work as well.

Mike

I flipped through my copy of The Illustrator in America 1860-2000 and found the following three names:

Art Spiegelman

Bill Sienkiewicz

Jeff Jones

I guess that Jim Steranko did a fair amount of non-comic work as well.

Mike

Steranko doh!

Are you serious? That book didn't mention Frazetta or Davis?