• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Byrne vs. George Perez

69 posts in this topic

Perez as an artist, Byrne as a storyteller. Has Perez ever plotted/written anything on his own?

Perez has over 250 writing credits under his belt.

Many 1-6 issue runs on titles like Action, Adv. of Superman, Avengers, Batman, and various Marvel, Image and DC books to his credit.

Long runs of New Teen Titans in several different series, a nice run of Silver Surfer, as well as a very long and stellar run on Wonder Woman.

Either way, being that this is a primarily visual medium, the quality of the artist and his ability to tell the story through images is as important if not more so than the person scripting the story.

We aren't talking about novelists, we are talking about sequential art storytelling and George's ability to write in words and tell the story as good (if not better) in pictures than anyone working is not to be discounted for lack of more "writing" credits.

Hell, Stan got a ton of "writing" credits when all he did was go over to Jack and say "how about we do a story with a guy that has cosmic powers?" and BOOM Jack comes up with a guy on a surf board that looks like he was dipped in chrome.

Basically a good writer and a good storyteller, when it comes to comics, is not necessarily the same thing.

Best,

Chris

When I think of both artists I think of what runs they produced...Byrnes are obvious and have been said here so I wont repeat them, but what great runs did Perez have? I know of Crisis of Infinite Earths, but what others that were that great? Due to this, i give the edge to Byrne just for the XM run alone.

He did the majority of the classic Avengers run from 141 - 202, as well as Avengers vol.3

1 - 34.

He did most of the New Teen Titans run, the late 80s reboot of Wonder Woman, brief runs on JLA, Fantastic Four,and Action Comics, to name a few. :gossip:

Like I said...what TRULY great runs did Perez do? Other than CoIE?

When I think of both artists I think of what runs they produced...Byrnes are obvious and have been said here so I wont repeat them, but what great runs did Perez have? I know of Crisis of Infinite Earths, but what others that were that great? Due to this, i give the edge to Byrne just for the XM run alone.

He did the majority of the classic Avengers run from 141 - 202, as well as Avengers vol.3

1 - 34.

He did most of the New Teen Titans run, the late 80s reboot of Wonder Woman, brief runs on JLA, Fantastic Four,and Action Comics, to name a few. :gossip:

Since there isn't any empirical way of discerning REALLY great from TRULY great from SUPER Great, it's not a question that's going to get answered to anyone's satisfaction.

Just as, to you, XM was TRULY run, to several other folks Perez's run on Avengers was TRULY great, and his run on New Teen Titans was TRULY great, that his run on Wonder Woman was TRULY great.

And most of the latter 2 we wrote as well as illustrated, which was not true of Byrne's XM run.

To discount the other runs that people think are Truly great in favor of what you think is Truly great smacks "what I like is great, your stuff sucks" which never gets anywhere when we area all just comic geeks lookin' at purty pictures and reading stories that have been told in other forms in literature for centuries anyway.

Since there isn't any empircal way of discerning REALLY great from TRULY great from SUPER Great, it's not a question that's going to get answered to anyone's satisfaction.

Just as, to you, XM was TRULY run, to several other folks Perez's run on Avengers was TRULY great, and his run on New Teen Titans was TRULY great, that his run on Wonder Woman was TRULY great.

And most of the latter 2 we wrote as well as illustrated, which was not true of Byrne's XM run.

To discount the other runs that people think are Truly great in favor of what you think is Truly great smacks "what I like is great, your stuff sucks" which never gets anywhere when we area all just comic geeks lookin' at purty pictures and reading stories that have been told in other forms in literature for centuries anyway.

Good god man! Do you realize what's liable to happen if you bring that much sober reasoning and intelligent thought onto this board at one time? Please refrain for the good of the community. :makepoint:

Perez is a really tall guy. Is Byrne short? I haven't any idea how tall he is.

Does Byrne still wear a full beard? Perez sports a Van Dyke.

Byrne is a munchkin. My 3 year old could take him.

George has also slimmed down considerably over the last couple of years. I had trouble recognizing him at NYCC last year. He moved down at least 1 weight class, maybe 2.

Perez is looking rather fit. He also enjoys a very affectionate relationship with his lady.

But hey, a low center of gravity coupled with massive ego could help Byrne survive the death match.

George has also slimmed down considerably over the last couple of years. I had trouble recognizing him at NYCC last year. He moved down at least 1 weight class, maybe 2.

Yeah, he did. Looks great and happy.

I like both as artists. Both have drawn some of my favorite comic storylines.

George is a gentleman, John is not.

George's work today is still amazing. He also give a lot back to our community working with the Hero Initiative. His good nature towards all comic fans is a real pleasure to watch.

John's later work, eh. As a person, he seems like a bit of :censored:. I have never, and I could be wrong, seen him give much back to our community.

My worthless 2c

1 - 34.

The Avengers run was a classic, as was the Teen Titans.

1 - 34.

lol You're coocoo. New Teen Titans went toe to toe with the X-MEN from 1981-1984.

Yeah, he did. Looks great and happy.

I like both as artists. Both have drawn some of my favorite comic storylines.

George is a gentleman, John is not.

George's work today is still amazing. He also give a lot back to our community working with the Hero Initiative. His good nature towards all comic fans is a real pleasure to watch.

John's later work, eh. As a person, he seems like a bit of :censored:. I have never, and I could be wrong, seen him give much back to our community.

My worthless 2c

But...you agree with me that Louise Simonson could take them both down, right....?

1 - 34.

lol You're coocoo. New Teen Titans went toe to toe with the X-MEN from 1981-1984.

Agreed. The New Teen Titans run from the early 80's was huge at the time. I believe sales figures were similar to X-Men.

Right or wrong, Byrne marketed himself better at the time. He took a page from Stan Lee and ran with it. He put his name out front. Didn't his Superman re-boot make the cover of Time?

1 - 34.

Agreed. The New Teen Titans run from the early 80's was huge at the time. I believe sales figures were similar to X-Men.

Right or wrong, Byrne marketed himself better at the time. He took a page from Stan Lee and ran with it. He put his name out front. Didn't his Superman re-boot make the cover of Time?

No, Supes' 50th Anniversary did...but it was drawn by then-current creator, John Byrne.

TIME+magazine+3-14-88.jpg

How tall is Perez...I've met him but I didn't ask his height. I would be surprised if he was much taller than 6'. Byrne is 5'11 so the height difference isn't that much.

How tall is Perez...I've met him but I didn't ask his height. I would be surprised if he was much taller than 6'. Byrne is 5'11 so the height difference isn't that much.

6' 2"

Not sure about that Byrne height

6' 2"

Not sure about that Byrne height

I'm closer to 6'2'' than 6'1'' & it seems to me Perez is taller than I am. He is also very bald which would give Byrne no hair to pull in the death match.

As for Byrne, 5'11" isn't very short.