• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

250 posts in this topic

Sure, the movie was visually entertaining, but it isn't the greatest movie ever as some people say it is.

I'm sure I'll get accused of being a movie snob but I really don't see what the big deal is about this movie? Everyone is going ga-ga about it. Greatest movie ever??? lol

What I am hearing is it's an unoriginal story with jaw dropping fx. Jaw dropping fx holds zero appeal to me.

Just my 2c. your mileage may vary

'Fro, have you seen the movie?

No, but that's my point. I have zero interest in an fx movie. Why should I bother?

...because as far as movies go, this movie as at the top when it comes to making you feel like you are a part of the film.

Sure the story line is overused (who hasn't seen "It's a Wonderful Life" or a "Walt Disney" movie more than a dozen times), but the effects, the noises and the visuals are what is captivating people.

I go to movies for several reasons...to learn, to experience, to study, but most of all I go to be entertained.

This movie entertained me by captivating my attention. I was riveted to the screen.

IMO it's actually a blessing that the story is so empty and light because with all the visual and auditory stuff going on, it really would be tough to enjoy it if you had to be thinking hard all the way through the movie. That would just be work.

To me this movie was like gorging on your favorite tasting meal without the calories or bloating. You get to eat till you don't want any more, but don't feel stuffed afterward. Just great memories of what it tasted like.

Sure, the movie was visually entertaining, but it isn't the greatest movie ever as some people say it is.

I'm sure I'll get accused of being a movie snob but I really don't see what the big deal is about this movie? Everyone is going ga-ga about it. Greatest movie ever??? lol

What I am hearing is it's an unoriginal story with jaw dropping fx. Jaw dropping fx holds zero appeal to me.

No, but that's my point. I have zero interest in an fx movie. Why should I bother?

...because as far as movies go, this movie as at the top when it comes to making you feel like you are a part of the film.

Sure the story line is overused (who hasn't seen "It's a Wonderful Life" or a "Walt Disney" movie more than a dozen times), but the effects, the noises and the visuals are what is captivating people.

I go to movies for several reasons...to learn, to experience, to study, but most of all I go to be entertained.

This movie entertained me by captivating my attention. I was riveted to the screen.

IMO it's actually a blessing that the story is so empty and light because with all the visual and auditory stuff going on, it really would be tough to enjoy it if you had to be thinking hard all the way through the movie. That would just be work.

To me this movie was like gorging on your favorite tasting meal without the calories or bloating. You get to eat till you don't want any more, but don't feel stuffed afterward. Just great memories of what it tasted like.

You also have to understand (for those making formulating an opinion based on the FX argument) that it's not just superb FX with a poor, boring storyline. The storyline is fine, it's just that some are comparing it to similar archetypes, like Pocahontas. You could point out that many vampire stories are derivative of Dracula, but that doesn't make them horrible. It was an engaging storyline (although like most, based upon a common archetype, revamped a bit), with entertaining soundtrack and absolutely amazing 3D FX. And I agree that these are the type of effects that need to be seen on the best big screen to really be appreciated. A 19 inch monitor just isn't going to capture it, IMO.

That's not even enough motivation to get me to go see it.

A movie has to touch me or interest me in some personal way in order for me to actually see it in the theater. I have a huge interest in WW 2 so those movies are always at the top of my list of must see films. Maybe it has an actor that I really like. Maybe it's a period piece. I love modern movies set in periods decades or even centuries ago. However, even when a movie comes out that appeals to me in one or more of those ways, I sometimes still miss the movie and have to check it out on DVD. I just watched the Newest Star Trek movie for example. Wanted to see it in the theater and just never got around to it. I'm a BIG Star Trek fan and as a result, that movie was of interest to me. A big splashy eye candy fest like Avatar does nothing for me.

I'm more or less the same way. I need substance in a flick but I was definitely not disappointed by this one.

That's cool.

(thumbs u

I think anybody that waits to see Avatar on Video is going to miss what really makes the movie great. It's the larger than life 3D experience that is causing people to go back and see it over and over in the theaters.

I think watching it at home will make Avatar look like a dud after reading all the hype.

Then it's a visual spectacle (like a fireworks show) and not a movie.

I actually agree with this - I've seen it and being a reasonably intelligent person, have no need to see it again. I usually love Cameron's stuff, but I prefer something like The Hurt Locker or District 9 in terms of high-quality mainstream fare.

I think anybody that waits to see Avatar on Video is going to miss what really makes the movie great. It's the larger than life 3D experience that is causing people to go back and see it over and over in the theaters.

I think watching it at home will make Avatar look like a dud after reading all the hype.

Then it's a visual spectacle (like a fireworks show) and not a movie.

I actually agree with this - I've seen it and being a reasonably intelligent person, have no need to see it again. I usually love Cameron's stuff, but I prefer something like The Hurt Locker or District 9 in terms of high-quality mainstream fare.

That's just wounded fanboy talk.

Avatar is entertaining and that is what movies are. Entertaining. Well worth the 6 bucks and the two hour drive to see it in 3D.

District 9 sucked big time. Not entertaining and makes one motion sick as the camera jumps all over the place. Like in The Blair Witch project and a few other movies that try to make it like it is a home video. I've got home videos if I want to watch poor production. Just bad. Give me a big Hollywood production of quality, FX, good acting and a good storyline. Avatar has it all.

And no. It ain't even close to one of the best movies of all time. It ain't Star Wars either. But it is very very good.

This is why there is chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream at Dairy Queen. Not everyone likes the same things.

Did you even see District 9? Other than the opening sequence, which was shot as a faux-documentary, it slides into a conventional movie after that. I *hate* that fake-shaky-cam crepe like in Narc or Bourne 2, but this was nothing like that.

And I thought the FX were more realistic than in Avatar, which just screamed "fake CGI!!" since that's all the movie was.

And P.S., movies can be a LOT more than just stupid entertainment. It just depends on where you're aiming.

Did you even see District 9? Other than the opening sequence, which was shot as a faux-documentary, it slides into a conventional movie after that. I *hate* that fake-shaky-cam crepe like in Narc or Bourne 2, but this was nothing like that.

And I thought the FX were more realistic than in Avatar, which just screamed "fake CGI!!" since that's all the movie was.

And P.S., movies can be a LOT more than just stupid entertainment. It just depends on where you're aiming.

I don't see much "wiggle room" in the wounded fanboy department:

Uh oh, The self-appointed King of the Fanboys is trolling me with fanboy comments. Hilarious, as I'm the anti-fanboy.

Test me, slam District 8 or the Hurt Locker all you want - I don't care, as they're JUST MOVIES. Fanboys, on the other hand, take it personal when you hammer their latest nerd-fest. :roflmao:

yeah, it's kind of weird but I must one of the few people here on earth that hasn't seen this movie...

from what I have heard, the FX is awesome but the story is lacking...

If that's the case, I can wait until video...

hm

NOOOO! If you are going to see it, see it in theaters in 3D.

by biggest test for a movie is did it hold my interest all the way through? or was I thinking about dinner, or worrk, or the laundry more than once?

AVATAR more than passed the test for me. The graphics were amazing and enjoyable to watch and while most of us can predict the plotline here, so what? Who didnt know how ITANIC was going to end? And this was never designed to be a keyser Soze type mystery ,, was it?

My thoughts exactly. (thumbs u The Godfather was predictable. Star Wars was predictable. But that didn't make them any less great movies.

+2 Saw it Sat. Went in having heard all the talk about predictability and cliches + was just blown away. As Jim said, there are several extremely powerful moments in this film. The overall effect was complete immersion in this 3D world + the 2hrs 40 min just flew by.

I probably just won't see it at all then...

I like to have substance, plain and simple

and to see all the loot this thing is bringing in

my expectations could never match that...

:P

I'd disregard the naysayers + see it for yourself. For lovers of Sci Fi + fantasy this one delivers big time. 2c

Uh oh, The self-appointed King of the Fanboys is trolling me with fanboy comments. Hilarious, as I'm the anti-fanboy.

Test me, slam District 8 or the Hurt Locker all you want - I don't care, as they're JUST MOVIES. Fanboys, on the other hand, take it personal when you hammer their latest nerd-fest. :roflmao:

Easy there, JC. It's not like me or James Cameron came to where you work and knocked the spooge mop out of your hand.

Easy up now.

I've seen the movie twice and enjoyed it. First time was in 2D, so I went back to see it in 3D at the IMAX.

I've also seen a lot of comparisons made with regards to other movies. However, I haven't seen anyone compare it to what I thought it was almost an exact replica of.

Elfquest.

If anyone in here read the original Elfquest series by Wendy and Richard Pini back in the 1970's...then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. The list goes on and on, but here are just a few examples I could think of off the top of my head.

Elfquest - the elves were at one with nature and lived inside the biggest tree in the forest (Home Tree).

Navii - at one with nature and lived inside the biggest tree in the forest (Home Tree).

Elfquest - Humans burned them out of the Home Tree.

Navii - Humans burned them out of the Home Tree.

Elfquest - Cutter fell for the "princess" (Leetah) in the strangers tribe.

Navii - Jake Sully fell for the "princess" in the strangers tribe.

Elfquest - Rayek (the lead warrior in the stangers tribe) had his eyes set on her first and this brought tension.

Navii - the lead Navii warrior had his eyes set on her first and this brought tension.

Elfquest - At first Leetah can't stand Cutter, treats him badly, then eventually falls for him.

Navii - At first the Navii princess can't stand Jake Sully, treats him badly, then eventually falls for him.

Elfquest - when the elves "recognize" a mate, it forms a permanent bond with them.

Navii - when the Navii "bond" with a mate, it links them permanently.

Elfquest - the elves bond, ride, and communicate with wolves.

Navii - the Navii bond, ride, and communicate with horse like creatures.

Elfquest - the elves bond, ride, communicate and hunt with large birds of prey.

Navii - the Navii bond, ride, communicate and hunt with large, flying reptiles.

Elfquest - the elves have grace and balance far beyond a humans.

Navii - the Navii have grace and balance far beyond a humans.

I've seen the movie twice and enjoyed it. First time was in 2D, so I went back to see it in 3D at the IMAX.

I've also seen a lot of comparisons made with regards to other movies. However, I haven't seen anyone compare it to what I thought it was almost an exact replica of.

Elfquest.

If anyone in here read the original Elfquest series by Wendy and Richard Pini back in the 1970's...then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. The list goes on and on, but here are just a few examples I could think of off the top of my head.

Elfquest - the elves were at one with nature and lived inside the biggest tree in the forest (Home Tree).

Navii - at one with nature and lived inside the biggest tree in the forest (Home Tree).

Elfquest - Rayek (the lead warrior in the stangers tribe) had his eyes set on her first and this brought tension.

Navii - the lead Navii warrior had his eyes set on her first and this brought tension.

Elfquest - At first Leetah can't stand Cutter, treats him badly, then eventually falls for him.

Navii - At first the Navii princess can't stand Jake Sully, treats him badly, then eventually falls for him.

Elfquest - when the elves "recognize" a mate, it forms a permanent bond with them.

Pretty cool analogy. (thumbs u

Heck of a lot of parallels to Native Americans as well; they religiously respected their land and nature.

Elfquest.

Elfquest - the elves are small.

Navii - the Navii are big.

Completely different movie. No plagarism involved. :whistle:

Dan