• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Had Worse QP: Blind Gorilla Printers or Charlton?

24 posts in this topic

Oh man, I bought a few more Byrne Charltons, looked through my collection to see what else I had, and then opened them up for a quick grading.

Holy Cap! I knew the QP was bad on these issues, but some are absolutely horrific. I'm talking otherwise-pristine copies with married pages, folded-in extensions, mis-cut/off-cut covers, non-standard sizes, off-size pages, that weird "small circle cut/edge of the roll" pages, etc.

Reading BA Charltons is like going to a freakshow.

have you EVER gotten a charlton from that era without some sort of printing error? some of them are hilarious (like, "how on earth did this ever leave the factory, only half of the cover is printed), married pages are very common (makes you wonder if anyone ever read them?) as are folded pages you unfold to realize there's a big chunk of extra paper on the page that will now stick out of the comic.

I love that folded/uncut pages stuff (and yes, I have a few of those), but my fave are those weird "page remainders" that have weird edges like they were cut with craft scissors.

It also does make me wonder how these could be read.

the very best of the charlton books aren't bad at all - the ditko horror/suspense, the byrne's, etc.... so the qp on teh books just pisses me off. like you said you find a nice NM looking copy and then the inside looks a 4 year old cut it with rusty scissors. annoying

doh!

Siamese pages are uncut/joined and not remainder paper that looks like it was cut with craft scissors.

about.jpg

lol I was rebagging books last night and came across a Doomsday +1 #5 that looks like this picture.

I recently picked up a few of the war titles from he 1967-1970 period, and they are about as 'high grade' as Charltons from that era get... still, the cutting was atrocious! And the actual paper quality was very, very poor, particularly the cover stock. The interior pages are reasonably off-white, but the cover stock on the books had tanned... I've never seen white pages on a Charlton book prior to 1970...

I recently picked up a few of the war titles from he 1967-1970 period, and they are about as 'high grade' as Charltons from that era get... still, the cutting was atrocious! And the actual paper quality was very, very poor, particularly the cover stock. The interior pages are reasonably off-white, but the cover stock on the books had tanned... I've never seen white pages on a Charlton book prior to 1970...

One of the LCS here in town has some of the most beautiful Charltons, from a structural standpoint, I've ever seen. Including a Jetsons #1 that is as dead bang 9.8 as any Bronze book I've ever seen. But they all look like they've been in a pizza oven. The PQ is Tan to Cream and the covers are all sporting a toasty tanning ring.

Charltons from the 80's = :cloud9:

I have nightmares about ever assembling a complete set. I have no doubts that this will be the very, very last company I complete.

My experience with Charltons is that you'll go years not seeing anything worthwhile, and then a large collection will appear. I've been at some cons where a dealer will roll in with boxes and boxes of 1970s Charltons.

Charltons from the 80's = :cloud9:

I have nightmares about ever assembling a complete set. I have no doubts that this will be the very, very last company I complete.

I went after these very hard for a couple of years. Have all of the Professor Coffins and Statics, most of the War books and two decent copies of Zoo Funnies. :cloud9:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before or not, but when I was a kid it always seemed to me that Charltons smelled funny--or at least different--from Marvel and DCs. Weird but true!

What can I say? I was a strange kid I guess...