• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT #1 9.6 in Doug's Auction

15 posts in this topic

I was going to post this in General, but as it was discussed here, the Green Guys don't get much love outside this forum. So....

...Did anyone besides me notice that when the hammer dropped for this book it was a little on the low side compared to the last handful of sales? I know, unfortunately, I did not pay that price for mine in August!

I have not looked at GPA on the book, so maybe it is not as eye popping if I have seen the recent average, but any thoughts???

I was going to post this in General, but as it was discussed here, the Green Guys don't get much love outside this forum. So....

...Did anyone besides me notice that when the hammer dropped for this book it was a little on the low side compared to the last handful of sales? I know, unfortunately, I did not pay that price for mine in August!

I have not looked at GPA on the book, so maybe it is not as eye popping if I have seen the recent average, but any thoughts???

Comiclink had a sale for $9999

GPA $9668 in 2007

GPA $8300 in 2005

While a signed one got:

( 9.6 ) Signed/Remarked Eastman/Laird

Sep-15-2009 $11,500 Cert# 0984569001

Comiclink had a sale for $9999

GPA $9668 in 2007

GPA $8300 in 2005

While a signed one got:

( 9.6 ) Signed/Remarked Eastman/Laird

Sep-15-2009 $11,500 Cert# 0984569001

Yeah that signed one is mine. But I thought there was another sale or two, besides the one you mentioned, from Doug or Josh around or above the $10,000 mark. Maybe I'm wrong. Which easily can be the case.

Yea, I was a bit shocked to see it so low. I'm honestly suprised the reserve was set so low as well. Maybe someone needed the cash?

As far as recent sales go, besides your purchase Eric, there had been 2 other recent 9.6 sales. That $9999 sale back in November and also a $9050 sale from another Pedigree grand auction in November.

As far as what may be happening is that it seems like all of the sudden there has been quite a few 9.6 auctions. Before these last 4 sales, all of which have taken place within the last year, there had only been a few sales: 1 back in '07, and before that '05, and then a couple in '04. And as any TMNT collector knows, there really are not that many high grade Turlte collectors out there, and even fewer with the cash (or the willinginess to spend the cash) on a 9.6 #1. So for me, it seems this book in this grade has "saturated" the tiny market and if more of these come up for sale soon, I think the price will probably continue to drop.

Yea, I was a bit shocked to see it so low. I'm honestly suprised the reserve was set so low as well. Maybe someone needed the cash?

As far as recent sales go, besides your purchase Eric, there had been 2 other recent 9.6 sales. That $9999 sale back in November and also a $9050 sale from another Pedigree grand auction in November.

As far as what may be happening is that it seems like all of the sudden there has been quite a few 9.6 auctions. Before these last 4 sales, all of which have taken place within the last year, there had only been a few sales: 1 back in '07, and before that '05, and then a couple in '04. And as any TMNT collector knows, there really are not that many high grade Turlte collectors out there, and even fewer with the cash (or the willinginess to spend the cash) on a 9.6 #1. So for me, it seems this book in this grade has "saturated" the tiny market and if more of these come up for sale soon, I think the price will probably continue to drop.

Yet again you shed light on one of my quandaries! (thumbs u

You are correct that it was a bit odd to see a reserve set so low, maybe that is what aided in causing my surprise. The owner thought like me, unfortunately for them and just believed a reserve would not be needed and at least $9,000 would be reached.

I did not realize that prior to this year 09/10 there were so FEW sales of 9.6 #1s. In my eyes, every auction in 09 and now 2010 seems to have a 9.6. I just "assumed" there were more than these. (and we all know what assuming can do!)

Well, if I knew this would be happening - I would have waited to pull the trigger on one and still had a lot left for a nice SA Marvel key!

Thanks Danny! :foryou:

No prob Eric! Of course, hindsight is 20/20 but honestly, had anyone asked me if after your purchase there would have been at least 3 other 9.6 auctions within a few months, I would have thought they were crazy. You did the best you could at the time (and ended up with a SWEET sig book!). Sometimes these things happen!

All of that said, there still are NOT that many 9.6s out there, and in the long run, I'm betting the prices will reflect that. But right now, things look a little sorry with this mini "flood" on the market.