• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,536 posts in this topic

looks just like the mound city copy to me...former 9.4 (shrug)

Looks like it to me as well. Here's a pic of the Mound City copy from the iCollector web site:

14982_0294_1_lg.jpg

Yelp. Maybe Mound City auctioneer should have press all the key and high end books and then send it to CGC and it would probably be considered a pedigree collection now.

just goes to show you that pq is not always "accurate", even from cgc... that is why folks that focus too much on it, really are "missing the boat" on some great books, imo :blush:

ahh...so it will be auction at CL in the near future maybe since they own it.
I don't believe CL owns the book...

No, they don't.

CGC just graded a 9.6! Wonder if this is an upgrade or a new copy? Also wonder if we'll see this auctioned off sometime soon...

XMen_1_9-6.jpg

looks just like the mound city copy to me...former 9.4 (shrug)

Interesting how the market reacts to sales of books. If this is the Mound city book it only reached $106k because someone spotted it's potential as a 9.6.

However it's sale has been used as a benchmark and led to further 9.4 sales over 100k which were probaby not pressable into 9.6s.

I don't think that is the case. I think the buyer bought it as a 9.4 hoping to get a 9.4 and decided later that it might be upgradable.

I don't think that is the case. I think the buyer bought it as a 9.4 hoping to get a 9.4 and decided later that it might be upgradable.

May have been the case for the buyer but there were many others that would have spotted it's potential and bid against him accordingly.

Anything advertised as unpressed, as the mound city books were, will be reviewed very carefully for potential.

Some were successful in getting upgrades after pressing others didn't.

May have been the case for the buyer but there were many others that would have spotted it's potential and bid against him accordingly.

Anything advertised as unpressed, as the mound city books were, will be reviewed very carefully for potential.

(thumbs u

If you followed the MCA auction threads in General last November it's really no secret that I bought that book at MCA for a buyer who wanted to remain anonymous . Cheetah is right in that the book was not purchased as an upgrade candidate. In fact many knowledgeable potential buyers that saw the book in hand at MCA didn't think the book had any upgrade potential at all. The price that the book was bid up to was what several people thought a CGC 9.4 should sell for.

Considering that CGC 9.0 copies were selling in the $28K - $33K range (check your GPA) months before the MCA CGC 9.4 copy sold, and that would have put 9.2 copies in the $50-60K range where they are now, I think it's fair to say that the CGC 9.4 sold at what was considered a "fair" price at the time.

with book in hand what did you think it's upgrade potential was?

What was the last price a 9.4 sold for prior to the auction?

Edited by 1koko

I can't decide whether this is the biggest "pressing success" of the Mound City auction or the AF15 that went from 8.0 to 9.0 is the biggest. hm

If you followed the MCA auction threads in General last November it's really no secret that I bought that book at MCA for a buyer who wanted to remain anonymous . Cheetah is right in that the book was not purchased as an upgrade candidate. In fact many knowledgeable potential buyers that saw the book in hand at MCA didn't think the book had any upgrade potential at all. The price that the book was bid up to was what several people thought a CGC 9.4 should sell for.

Considering that CGC 9.0 copies were selling in the $28K - $33K range (check your GPA) months before the MCA CGC 9.4 copy sold, and that would have put 9.2 copies in the $50-60K range where they are now, I think it's fair to say that the CGC 9.4 sold at what was considered a "fair" price at the time.

Roy, for some reason I assumed the buyer was a genuine collector and simply wanted the book for his personal collection. Hence, he sent you and paid a fair but handsome price. Life is good. Do you know if he sold it and the new owner did this ? I now have an image of just another flipper, disappointing.

with book in hand what did you think?

Client confidentiality.

:whistle:

I did post that I thought it was a solid 9.4

(thumbs u

What was the last price a 9.4 sold for prior to the auction?

I think it was about $50K 5-6 years ago. It's not even on GPA.

Edit: a 9.6 sold for $100K in 2004 and prices for all SA keys have risen since then.

Roy, for some reason I assumed the buyer was a genuine collector and simply wanted the book for his personal collection. Hence, he sent you and paid a fair but handsome price. Life is good. Do you know if he sold it and the new owner did this ? I now have an image of just another flipper, disappointing.

He's still got it as far as I know.

If you collect but don't flip, your collection is smaller than it otherwise could have been. I don't flip myself--at least not that often--but it isn't because it's evil, it's because I'm lazy. :blush:

If you collect but don't flip, your collection is smaller than it otherwise could have been. I don't flip myself--at least not that often--but it isn't because it's evil, it's because I'm lazy. :blush:

:signfunny:

the funny/sad/ironic thing is some people here flip for less constantly so the collection is getting smaller and smaller.

the funny/sad/ironic thing is some people here flip for less constantly so the collection is getting smaller and smaller.

It's like trading stock...the house gets the commission. But for comics the commission can be 10%+ :P

Edited by showcase22gr1959