• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BA/SA OO Collection - photo archive

9 posts in this topic

Its taken half a year for me to dump these out to photobucket, but I finally uploaded all books from a OO collection auctioned last July... I saved a record of the entire auction (photos and results), and find the entire collection so fun to view and figured since the photos were online anyways, why not share, maybe some others would find this interesting?

OO Collection

(the photos start off unimpressive, but starting around photo 35 or so, it gets into the good stuff...)

To answer some of the standard questions...

- collection was in Milwaukee

- very wide and deep collection, including most Marvel and DC titles available in the 60s and early 70s, and long runs on a lot of titles. Oddly, some mainstream titles are missing (i.e. no 'Tecs).

- condition ranges from poor for the early stuff (early SA) to NM/M through all of the Bronze and into Copper age books

- PQ is all cover, some W books, some CR/OW books, even just one issue apart. Mostly OW/W from the books I bought. I am chalking that up to the temp swings indoors in Wisconsin. Also, a few books go beyond cream pages, and into browing/burnt inside covers.

- The books were stored, long term, without any protection. no bags, no boards. So pretty amazing they survived like they have

- part of a very large collection of paper goods (pulps, magazines, comics), the entire collection was sold to clear the owners estate.

- the photos/groupings are the actually lots from the auction, so single comic photos were comics sold individually, large groupings were sold just like that in a big lot... So, for example Iron Man 55 was not sold as an individual book, but grouped into a lot of about 25+ other books in the run. It was clear the auctioneer was not overly savvy with the books. I can only guess OS was used to pick out the biggest books, all others were dumped into large lots.

I did win a number of lots in the auction but not living anywhere near Milwaukee, I was cautious about spending too wildly based solely on pictures. Yes, the pictures were promising, but it wasn't until after I received the books that I had bought that I kicked myself for not buying up more of the collection. I picked up 166 books (all early BA) I'm guessing the grades break down like this (to be graded/encapsulated over the next few months)...

- 19 books under 9.0 (not going to CGC)

- 13 at 9.0

- 27 at 9.2

- 55 at 9.4

- 48 at 9.6

- 4 at 9.8

So, enjoy the pics, maybe this will brighten a few peoples day, knowing collections like this are out there waiting to be found still... :cloud9:

oh, haha, sorry, totally didnt understand your question... yeah, it was online, run by a local firm there in WI. I stumbled upon the online auction listing while searching for some random book on the interwebs. Problem was, most of the lots ended within the same minute or so on a Monday morning (8am cst, making it 6am out west), so while I won most of the lots I bid on, I lost out on a number of lots by some snipe bids, mostly FF and ASM books, guess I should have bid higher...