• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone want to teach me how to grade?

46 posts in this topic

Start grading. Your skills will improve over time.

I'll agree with Donut on this. The best way to learn to grade is by doing it. It also happens to be the slowest and possibly most expensive way but there is no substitute for experience.

I've learned a lot by hanging on these forums, but having books graded by CGC, buying CGC graded books, buying books from good graders and selling books and getting feedback are the best ways to get a feel for it. It took me a few years before I felt comfortable about it.

It may sound stupid, but pick a low priced book and try to buy up multiple CGC copies in descending grades if you can't find classes. At least then you have something to make a direct comparison to.

The 2nd ed. OGG mentioned above shows this for an unslabbed Atom comic. It shows all full grades from 9.0 to 1.0 (so 9 different comics).

Joking aside, 1CoolEngineer has a point.

I too would love to see a guide somewhere on these pages helping us (Relative) noobs to enhance our grading skills. Overstreet's guide is good, however, the small pictures and actual low levels of content (Compared to ads) can raise more questions than answers.

It would be good to see some Hi res scans here pointing out (In detail) the reasons for grades given and perhaps a step by step methodology.

Would this help at all?

http://www.e-bigs.net/freetool.php

^^

I think you can learn a great deal from posting books with various defects in the grading forum, and having people grade them. Even if you don't agree with all the grades you get, the grades and the discussion will help you understand the thinking and the patterns behind them.

I've always been a decent grader (IMO) :blush: , but that forum helped me to understand and internalize how grading has tightened up in the CGC era.

These 4 pages from the Overstreet Grading Guide are the best info you will ever get on how to grade.

I post them all the time but most people seem to either gloss over them or forget about them. They've helped me the most.

GradingScale1.jpg

GradingScale2.jpg

You just know Arnold's going to show up to chastise you for posting those ;)

I have tried to use the PGM forum to figure out how to grade. I have read the overstreet book on how to grade but I would feel more comfortable if someone provided a hands on experience.

I am not a seller but I do read and then sell to finance my next purchase. I would like to get to a point that I feel confident with the grade I assign. Anyway I figure this is worth a shot as someone who is CT mentioned holding classes. I live in Westchester County and am willing to travel.

Thanks any offers are appreciated.

I didn't know that you are a fellow New Yorker... :)

Well I am outside of the City but only by 30 mins.

I think you can learn a great deal from posting books with various defects in the grading forum, and having people grade them. Even if you don't agree with all the grades you get, the grades and the discussion will help you understand the thinking and the patterns behind them.

I've always been a decent grader (IMO) :blush: , but that forum helped me to understand and internalize how grading has tightened up in the CGC era.

:hi: John. I actually like when you post a reply to one of my PGM. The problem is that I am posting books that don't get a reply back. I guess there isn't alot of interest them.

But I do like when others post books but type a description as well. It is a good learning tool however in hand inspection is better. Example, my Swamp Thing books many have this indentation on the front cover but it does not look like pen. Could it be a production flaw? I don't know and I cannot get the scanner to pick it up.

Your post is what NOD's new mission statement should include.

Educating the buyers/sellers on consistent grading.

Imagine if we could all generally grade the same.

Wow, what a world we could live in.

Half the threads would disappear.

Grade my comic threads would disappear.

Collectors might actually be happy with their purchases.

Dealers who can grade, OMG

Hmmm, would I qualify for Obama's Small business $5K credit if I hired someone to teach people how to grade.

I have tried to use the PGM forum to figure out how to grade. I have read the overstreet book on how to grade but I would feel more comfortable if someone provided a hands on experience.

I am not a seller but I do read and then sell to finance my next purchase. I would like to get to a point that I feel confident with the grade I assign. Anyway I figure this is worth a shot as someone who is CT mentioned holding classes. I live in Westchester County and am willing to travel.

I didn't know that you are a fellow New Yorker... :)

Well I am outside of the City but only by 30 mins.

I was born and raised in Yonkers ( -6 yrs for military school ) :headbang:

Are you planning on coming up to the Boston show in April? Maybe we could put something together with other boardies. Kind of an impromptu grading symposium.....................................with beer!

hm

I would be more than happy to give free/low cost grading classes at some major shows as long as some other board members would help, it can't be a "one man show". People like Bedrock, Blazingbob, Nearmint (just to name a few as there are many) who know how to grade and understand that grading is not an exact science and have bought and sold raw & CGC graded. No one is 100% all the time, so others need to be on board to get a feel on how different people picture each book.

If anyone wants to do this with me, I will work with them to contact conventions and working out details. Just let me know.

Also, we would need to know who would show up, as we would need a decent amount of people to be able to get a space/hall at one of the conventions.

Or, we could charge a nominal fee with the profits going to the Hero Initiative (shrug)

Maybe, this would need a new thread. Just an idea..................

Thanks for the pictures. I am going to re-read the book again tonight and look at a few examples of raw comics I purchased that were "graded". I don't buy CGC so that teaching method will not work for me.

Not sure what your expectations as to how much an in-person class would cost, but you shouldn't expect less than $400 to $800 per day...buying a bunch of modern or copper slabs would likely be cheaper.

Would this help at all?

http://www.e-bigs.net/freetool.php

That's a compelling idea for a tool. I haven't used it enough to see how accurate it is, and I suspect it isn't complex or comprehensive enough upon a cursory glance, but I suspect it could be tuned/optimized to be great.

Are you planning on coming up to the Boston show in April? Maybe we could put something together with other boardies. Kind of an impromptu grading symposium.....................................with beer!

I'm down for this. How about we start with the beer and see where the symposium goes from there! lol I was hoping there would be a open forum dinner anyway. Would love to meet some local board members!

hm

I would be more than happy to give free/low cost grading classes at some major shows as long as some other board members would help, it can't be a "one man show". People like Bedrock, Blazingbob, Nearmint (just to name a few as there are many) who know how to grade and understand that grading is not an exact science and have bought and sold raw & CGC graded. No one is 100% all the time, so others need to be on board to get a feel on how different people picture each book.

If anyone wants to do this with me, I will work with them to contact conventions and working out details. Just let me know.

Also, we would need to know who would show up, as we would need a decent amount of people to be able to get a space/hall at one of the conventions.

Or, we could charge a nominal fee with the profits going to the Hero Initiative (shrug)

Maybe, this would need a new thread. Just an idea..................

You should do it in NY :baiting:

:wishluck:

I'm down for this. How about we start with the beer and see where the symposium goes from there! lol I was hoping there would be a open forum dinner anyway. Would love to meet some local board members!

+1