• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

price developments?

33 posts in this topic

I think I paid $100+ for one last year (thought it looked better than the advertised VF+) and sold one on here for about $80 or so in similar grade.

It's a popular book and it guides at $80 in VF.

(shrug)

I also sold a CGC 9.4 white last year for $2000 in the selling forum.

It's not a cheap book.

A lot cheaper than 35 grand for a lower graded but still very nice looking copy (shrug) The fact that any 9.8 could be a 9.6 on its next submission because the difference is microscopic and purely subjective just makes the premiums for them seem unfathomable to me.

Hey, I understand.

I don't want to get dragged into another one of these threads.

I'll just leave it at this.

1) People are free to do whatever they want with their hard earned money, and not be ridiculed for it, as long as nobody suffers because of it.

2) I think CGC's grading is relatively consistent. They're not perfect, but I'd say the majority of the time they get it right...meaning the more often than not a 9.8 will continue to come back a 9.8, as long as the book looks the same.

Have fun with this one gang.

I'm out.

I'll drag you back out, hippie.

People that would pay those prices probably don't know what "hard earned money" is - it is probably trust fund money. :screwy: I ridicule them :sumo:

I sent him an apology but I should probably apologize to the entire board. I did not mean to come off the way I did :(

I don't think anyone is stupid for buying what they like I was just saying that a slightly better copy going for so much more was beyond me, but if it is what makes you happy then go for it and I am not one to point fingers at anyone. We all like comic books here ;) I will try to word things differently or not word them at all if I think they are mean because this forum is a nice place and I don't want to ruin the vibe :foryou:

(thumbs u

I'd be willing to bet that the Cap #117 would break $20K at auction and possibly tickle $30K.

The original artwork to the Cap #117 cover is for sale at $28K and can probably be had for meaningfully less than that. $20-$30K for a CGC 9.8 copy of that book? :screwy:

I'd be willing to bet that the Cap #117 would break $20K at auction and possibly tickle $30K.

The original artwork to the Cap #117 cover is for sale at $28K and can probably be had for meaningfully less than that. $20-$30K for a CGC 9.8 copy of that book? :screwy:

Maybe some people like color in their artwork.

Personally, I'd never drive an Aston Martin.

See? Everyone is different.

:baiting:

:foryou:

I think I paid $100+ for one last year (thought it looked better than the advertised VF+) and sold one on here for about $80 or so in similar grade.

It's a popular book and it guides at $80 in VF.

(shrug)

I also sold a CGC 9.4 white last year for $2000 in the selling forum.

It's not a cheap book.

A lot cheaper than 35 grand for a lower graded but still very nice looking copy (shrug) The fact that any 9.8 could be a 9.6 on its next submission because the difference is microscopic and purely subjective just makes the premiums for them seem unfathomable to me.

Hey, I understand.

I don't want to get dragged into another one of these threads.

I'll just leave it at this.

1) People are free to do whatever they want with their hard earned money, and not be ridiculed for it, as long as nobody suffers because of it.

2) I think CGC's grading is relatively consistent. They're not perfect, but I'd say the majority of the time they get it right...meaning the more often than not a 9.8 will continue to come back a 9.8, as long as the book looks the same.

Have fun with this one gang.

I'm out.

I'll drag you back out, hippie.

People that would pay those prices probably don't know what "hard earned money" is - it is probably trust fund money. :screwy: I ridicule them :sumo:

I sent him an apology but I should probably apologize to the entire board. I did not mean to come off the way I did :(

I don't think anyone is stupid for buying what they like I was just saying that a slightly better copy going for so much more was beyond me, but if it is what makes you happy then go for it and I am not one to point fingers at anyone. We all like comic books here ;) I will try to word things differently or not word them at all if I think they are mean because this forum is a nice place and I don't want to ruin the vibe :foryou:

No hard feelings at all.

(thumbs u

Twenty to thirty thousand dollars for this book, for Avengers 57, etc.,. is just absolutely nuts, perhaps insane is a better term. :insane:

However, it's not as nuts as some of the ridiculous 4+ figure sales of non-key, mid-60's 9.8 Marvels in the last 6 months. Prices for HG/Top Census post-1965 books have gotten out of control, but I suppose many of these purchases are funded by similar sales...or a maniacal collector with leg-length pockets.

Fortunately, sales of 9.2/9.4 copies of many of the Marvel BA keys have softened to the point where nice, WP, well-centered copies can be picked up at 2003-2004 price levels. :cloud9:

the same ridiculosity in terms of minute grading difference meaning a heck of a lot more $ exists in coins and cards too.

heck, diamonds as well. you can buy a high letter, worse color, slight flaw, etc. 2 karat diamond for under $5K, but a low letter, pristine color, internally flawless, etc. 2 karat diamond will probably cost $25K, $30K, maybe more, I haven't looked in a while (I'm talking non-retail/Tiffany prices) yes, it isn't a 2000% difference, true.

From 10 feet away they look practically the same (although folks who are into diamonds can tell a krappy diamond from 10 feet away, but maybe not a good vs. great diamond)

9.8 or not ... asking $31500 for the Captain America 117 and $6995 on the Ghost Rider 1 ... and etc etc ... sellers can ask what they want, but realistically who can or even would shell out that kind of dough for modern books that will just inevitably grow on the census...

Cap 117 is modern? :baiting:

Good point. The Bugatti Veyron would be a much better choice. (thumbs u

Interesting. Which one would be the better long term purchase from a value perspective?

Good point. The Bugatti Veyron would be a much better choice. (thumbs u

No. :sumo:

Uglier than an Aston at 3-8x the price, depending on model.

Don't say that. Gene used to have one and this is why he drives the Aston now. :eek:

:jokealert:

Well, Roy, I guess I should have taken the other side of that bet...in size. :blush::makepoint:

Interesting. Which one would be the better long term purchase from a value perspective?

I'd think the OA - though I wouldn't count on either being a great long-term investment.

Sure, people can pay what they want for a given book and all that - but I'm sorry - 30K for a 9.8 minor key from the late SA is insane.