• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

price developments?

33 posts in this topic

For years I've made it a habit to check comiclinks newest featured listings and while I've noticed here and there some aggressively priced books ... it seemed that the crazier prices came in auctions ... not on sellers straight sell prices ... BUT :o 9.8 or not ... asking $31500 for the Captain America 117 and $6995 on the Ghost Rider 1 ... and etc etc ... sellers can ask what they want, but realistically who can or even would shell out that kind of dough for modern books that will just inevitably grow on the census...

You could get a decent Batman 1 or Cap 1 for that kinda dough ... are all golden age books about to go six figures? While I'm on it ... a golden age highest graded copy will probably always be the best ... but 9.8 Cap 117's while rare-ISH are not that rare ...

Actual sales ... are the reality check here of course ... but still it seems that more and more straight sale books are being unrealistically and aggresively priced ... it seems a little whacky right now ...

I'm just saying I'm usually blown away by the prices auctions realize, but it's getting where some list prices are blowing me away and are far beyond what I think even crazy auction prices might be?

I'd be willing to bet that the Cap #117 would break $20K at auction and possibly tickle $30K.

It's high, but so is demand for highest graded Marvels. I don't know if you've looked lately, but single highest graded 9.8 minor key Marvels almost routinely sell for $15-20-25K nowadays.

This sort of stuff gets discussed all the time, people complain asking prices are too high, then people defend people's constitutional right to ask what they want for a comic, etc etc ad nauseum.

I think I paid $100+ for one last year (thought it looked better than the advertised VF+) and sold one on here for about $80 or so in similar grade.

It's a popular book and it guides at $80 in VF.

(shrug)

I also sold a CGC 9.4 white last year for $2000 in the selling forum.

It's not a cheap book.

I think I paid $100+ for one last year (thought it looked better than the advertised VF+) and sold one on here for about $80 or so in similar grade.

(shrug)

It's not a cheap book.

A lot cheaper than 35 grand for a lower graded but still very nice looking copy (shrug) The fact that any 9.8 could be a 9.6 on its next submission because the difference is microscopic and purely subjective just makes the premiums for them seem unfathomable to me.

These two buyers live on parallel Earths to me.

I don't understand the rational of the other buyer or the seller. Its like they are spending money they just printed.

I really do want to believe the books can be that valuable but then reality says that in the current economic environment it makes no sense :screwy:

It looks like a bubble to me

(shrug)

It's not a cheap book.

A lot cheaper than 35 grand for a lower graded but still very nice looking copy (shrug) The fact that any 9.8 could be a 9.6 on its next submission because the difference is microscopic and purely subjective just makes the premiums for them seem unfathomable to me.

Hey, I understand.

I don't want to get dragged into another one of these threads.

I'll just leave it at this.

1) People are free to do whatever they want with their hard earned money, and not be ridiculed for it, as long as nobody suffers because of it.

2) I think CGC's grading is relatively consistent. They're not perfect, but I'd say the majority of the time they get it right...meaning the more often than not a 9.8 will continue to come back a 9.8, as long as the book looks the same.

Have fun with this one gang.

I'm out.

(shrug)

It's not a cheap book.

Hey, I understand.

1) People are free to do whatever they want with their hard earned money, and not be ridiculed for it, as long as nobody suffers because of it.

2) I think CGC's grading is relatively consistent. They're not perfect, but I'd say the majority of the time they get it right...meaning the more often than not a 9.8 will continue to come back a 9.8, as long as the book looks the same.

I'm out.

I agree with that, and I understand why a higher graded copy would command a higher price, but 17 times as much for four tenths of a point higher grade? I mean, they are free to do as they wish, I just don't get THAT kind of premium. Not ridiculing anybody.

For years I've made it a habit to check comiclinks newest featured listings and while I've noticed here and there some aggressively priced books ... it seemed that the crazier prices came in auctions ... not on sellers straight sell prices ... BUT :o 9.8 or not ... asking $31500 for the Captain America 117 and $6995 on the Ghost Rider 1 ... and etc etc ... sellers can ask what they want, but realistically who can or even would shell out that kind of dough for modern books that will just inevitably grow on the census...

You could get a decent Batman 1 or Cap 1 for that kinda dough ... are all golden age books about to go six figures? While I'm on it ... a golden age highest graded copy will probably always be the best ... but 9.8 Cap 117's while rare-ISH are not that rare ...

Actual sales ... are the reality check here of course ... but still it seems that more and more straight sale books are being unrealistically and aggresively priced ... it seems a little whacky right now ...

I'm just saying I'm usually blown away by the prices auctions realize, but it's getting where some list prices are blowing me away and are far beyond what I think even crazy auction prices might be?

I think people can put whatever price they want on something. But your point is sound. Maybe a Cap 117 is worth that, but if it is it's because there's a limited number in that shape. But prudent reasoning would have to make you feel the number of Cap 117s in that shape (or in a shape mostly equal in the eyes of the average person) could easily be about equal to or even greater than the total number of existing Cap 1s.

(shrug)

It's not a cheap book.

Hey, I understand.

I'm out.

I'll drag you back out, hippie.

People that would pay those prices probably don't know what "hard earned money" is - it is probably trust fund money. :screwy: I ridicule them :sumo:

I agree I've noticed the past few month's that more and more people are initially listing their books on CLINK at absurd prices... and then lowering them little by little every week or so (As when you lower your price on CLINK it gets pushed back to the front of the newest listings search..

But man.. some of the prices are insane, especially for the BA non keys.. I'd love to have that 9.8 Marvel features #1.. but not for 7k

(shrug)

It's not a cheap book.

Hey, I understand.

I'm out.

I'll drag you back out, hippie.

People that would pay those prices probably don't know what "hard earned money" is - it is probably trust fund money. :screwy: I ridicule them :sumo:

I sent him an apology but I should probably apologize to the entire board. I did not mean to come off the way I did :(

I don't think anyone is stupid for buying what they like I was just saying that a slightly better copy going for so much more was beyond me, but if it is what makes you happy then go for it and I am not one to point fingers at anyone. We all like comic books here ;) I will try to word things differently or not word them at all if I think they are mean because this forum is a nice place and I don't want to ruin the vibe :foryou: