• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pop Cultured Certified comics

5 posts in this topic

Never even heard of these guys. confused-smiley-013.gif

Back in 1982, when Jay Kennedy published the Underground Price Guide, he attempted to include a grading section in the guide, that essentially treated underground comics and their grading differently from what Overstreet was doing. It goes without saying that Jay's idea never flew. Part of the problem is that Jay's grading methodology was far too lenient, and when you try to present such a grading system to hardcore mainstream collectors, they laugh. As well, people wonder -- why should undergrounds be graded any different than mainstream comics?

I looked very quickly at PCC, and it doesn't look like they will be very popular with hardcore O.N.E. graders.

The real question is...

who will be first to grade magazines like Sports Illustrated and Playboy?

"Pop Culture Certified" sounds like a good name for the project...

but looks like they picked comic books instead. foreheadslap.gif

Did a search and found nothing posted about these guys. Have a chance to pick up some books graded by them so I gotta ask. Has anyone here ever purchased a book graded by them? If so how accurate was the grade to the book?

PopCultureCertified

Thanks,

Frank

I've seen some of their grading on eBay about 2 years ago and I was thoroughly unimpressed. Maybe they have gotten better but I would avoid them for now.

I bought some books from them and described the grading in this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=gradeandresto&Number=123044

Also, here's some miscellaneous, geeky grading pontifications from about a year ago related to PCC:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=gradeandresto&Number=100422

I haven't heard much from them in the last year. They seem to have not put a lot of effort into going forward.