• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Ultimate Series

What do you think? Success or Failure?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think? Success or Failure?

13 posts in this topic

I think it will be successful. The only way it will fail is when Bendis and Millar get bored with it and Marvel replaces them with sub-standard talent. I for one never had any interest and never read any New Universe, 2099, or Heroes Reborn comics. The concepts just seemed too stupid for me.

Some of the New Universe titles actually weren't bad - at first. It claimed to be a more "real" universe, with people acting and reacting just like you think people would when they see someone flying around or find out they can burn stuff with their mind or whatever. Except they didn't. Society kind of seemed to take it in stride. And the people with super powers hardly ever did anything interesting. Which I suppose is, technically, what real people are like. If you could turn invisible, how many of you would fight crime and how many of you would just sneak into movies for free? Not good comic book material.

Unfortunately, This is probably inevitable..... frown.gif893frustrated.gif

Yep, and it's 100% that some time in the future, the Ultimate books will run out of steam, and be replaced with the "Hottest New Revamp from the House of Ideas".

Nothing Marvel (or DC for that matter) has introduced post-Silver Age has stood the test of time, and this burn-out pattern has only accelerated with time.

I think it will be successful. The only way it will fail is when Bendis and Millar get bored with it and Marvel replaces them with sub-standard talent.

I don't think Marvel can afford to let the Ultimate line fail. It is a money generating machine. I read everything that comes out in the Ultimate line and haven't been disappointed yet. I am sure there are other writters and artist who are equal to the task when Bendis and company move on to other things. Maybe someone who knows can share some info with the rest of us about the sales of New Universe, 2099 Universe, and Heroes Reborn Universe compared to those of the Ulimate Universe to see if there are similarities.

I'll guess that the Ultimate Universe will end up being an open-ended maxi-series that will eventually fold.Good books for the most part.Didn't care for te Ultimates TPB,hope #2 gets better. When you see the first crossovers with the real universe,you can expect the end to follow.

Sales of New Universe books plummeted starting with #2,by #4 they were almost all at the bottom of the sales charts.Stories and art were terrible.Don't recall how the 2099 books did,though I know they were not huge hits.The Unlimited books that came out around the same time were successful for retailers as they sold decent numbers but had a much higher price so dealers made bigger profit.They also had good stories,something lacking in the others.

Nothing Marvel (or DC for that matter) has introduced post-Silver Age has stood the test of time, and this burn-out pattern has only accelerated with time.

Vertigo? confused.gif

When was that, 1991-92? I have the One-Shot, but I'm not dredging it out right now.

For example, there was a notation in the last issue of Warlord, that at the time (1988), it was the ONLY comic published by Marvel and DC since after 1970, that was still active.

It had a 13 or 14 year run, and although it pales to the Silver Age longevity, 133 issues is nothing to sneeze at. Of course, it also illustrates that since the Silver Age, no book has stood the test of time, and that the Bronze/Modern Age runs of Conan and Warlord, are also shrinking in the Current Age.

Granted, the Ultimate line does not include new characters or concepts, and is simply a rehash of the Silver Age. Due to the "Silver Age or bust" mentality of the the graybeards and fogeys, the Ultimate Universe may have a bit more legs than usual, but I don't see them running 150+ issues each.

I tend to agree w/ you on this one Joe. I think Vertigo is the absolute exception to what you have stated. I would be surprised if the Ultimate books make it to #150 (at least w/out being re-numbered 893frustrated.gif). Ultimates will never make it (I think they are going w/ Vol. 2; and that's if #13 ever comes out!).

Chris

Yep, and it's 100% that some time in the future, the Ultimate books will run out of steam, and be replaced with the "Hottest New Revamp from the House of Ideas".

Just to be ornery there, JC, off the top of my head, here's a couple of things introduced post-Silver Age

New X-Men

Punisher

New Teen Titans

Just to be ornery there, JC, off the top of my head, here's a couple of things introduced post-Silver Age

New X-Men

Punisher

New Teen Titans

Come on Donut, you know better than that. Both X-Men and Teen Titans were revamps of existing SA titles and concepts, much like Showcase 4 was a revamp of the GA Flash.

The only new titles that even come close are like Wolverine, started in the early 90's and still running today.

Does Wolverine count? Robin? Nightwing? Catwoman? Birds of Prey? Punisher?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Not new characters, but they seem to be withstanding cancellation.

I can't think of one NEW character that's holding it's own series, though.

Apparently that 'House of Ideas' monniker is about as truthful as Green Bay being called 'Title Town'