• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Auction Sales and Relistings. Legit?

901 posts in this topic

So, is it OK to put out the torch and put the pitchfork back into storage?

First things first, for me.

There's nothing to hide here so ask anything you want!

Doug,

Thanks for your willingness to answer the questions so far. I've got a few more:

1. Has Pedigree ever put up "no reserve" auctions that, in reality, had reserves? Meaning, you were authorized to bid a certain amount by the consignor to protect his/her investment? OR, have you ever done this with your own books?

2. Along those lines, if a bidder submits the high bid, will Pedigree close the auction at that bid and not just an increment above the second highest bid? Has that ever happened?

3. When was the last time you communicated with Jason Ewert? Do you believe he's still participating in the hobby?

Felix

:popcorn:

This place is hilarious. There was a thread no more than 7 or 8 months ago, where Roy was talking about "Selective Reporting" to GPA. He got absolutely torched by me and others. I wonder where some of the players in this thread came down on this issue then?

I just finished moving some stuff around the house with Lou and am getting caught up on this thread but I'd like to be clear on this topic and say a few words about those threads as I took quite a beating on them.

I was simply trying to have a discussion on the issue as it stood in a formative stage. We were looking for input and some progress. Nothing had been nailed down. I personally envisioned a form of GPA where people could subscribe to different tiers of GPA ie for example, possibly a) slab sales, b) raw sales and c) a mix of the two (if the subscriber so chose to) because I thought OSPG is basically obsolete.

I'm not an edumicated boy (high school drop out although I consider myself above average intelligent) so I was actually still learning as I was posting about data corruption and statistics. It was supposed to be an education/work in progress. Instead what it became is an all out flame out with me having some sort of underhanded motive.

In my naive position on the subject I assumed (as I often do) that people would do the right thing and submit a fair representation of data (since in almost ANY case there is going to be some corruption).

I'm still walking crooked to this day because of that thread and have some scar tissue that will likely remain into my old age.

It wasn't my intention to corrupt or misrepresent anything, only to attempt to get a better (ie larger and wider) cross section of data with whatever we had to use at our disposal at the time.

I personally "feel" that I would rather have some more data than no or less data, even if there are errors in there.

Anyhow, carry on.

My apologies for perhaps not handling it the best way I could to anyone who got the wrong idea over those threads.

:foryou:

So, is it OK to put out the torch and put the pitchfork back into storage?

if you put it into storage, i'd leave it towards the front.

:roflmao:

Anyhow, if you don't like dealing with dealers, then there's always Ebay and other collectors.

I am a dealer. I don't even like dealing with myself.

Yeah, but you're a terrible dealer and you keep all the best books for your own collection. :baiting:

Kinda like Doug, Fischler and a host of others :sorry:

That's okay. You could always make it up by posting a scan of that Daring Mystery 4 of yours. :)

You could always make it up by posting a scan of that Daring Mystery 4 of yours. :)

Momentary thread derailment...

daring4.jpg

This place is hilarious. There was a thread no more than 7 or 8 months ago, where Roy was talking about "Selective Reporting" to GPA. He got absolutely torched by me and others. I wonder where some of the players in this thread came down on this issue then?

Same side, my friend. (thumbs u

I didn't agree with selectively reporting data then, and I don't agree with it now. However, I'm not ready to throw GPA out the window over it. Overstreet is also susceptible to price manipulation, but no one seems to care about that.

Well, according to most people here, Overstreet has been rendered useless and GPA is the ony way to go...even for raw books. :screwy:

And I'm not ready to throw GPA out of the window, either. I am very happy to do that to Mr Schmell's reporting, though.

The whole argument we had months back centred around reporting all available data from a source. We know that certain sources don't report, but to ensure that you're comparing apples with apples with what is reported, you have to have every data point recorded.

Mr Schmell has deliberately manipulated data in an effort to increase his earnings. End of.

there's a pretty sizable difference between not reporting any sales at all, and cherry-picking which sales you report.

one just removes all data points from one seller, while the other skews the data towards higher prices.

just saying.

Sal,

I am not saying that GPA is inacurrate because "I " don't report data. I am also not saying that it doesn't skew the data higher if sales are cherry picked. I am saying regardless of what is reported, GPA is incomplete, and generally not used as it should be. It is a very useful tool.

However most people just look at the highest price if selling and the lowest price if buying, without taking into account how and why any of those figures were reached.

i wasn't saying GPA was inaccurate because you don't report data, either.

i agree GPA is an incomplete tool and that it's used in ways in which it was never intended.

that being said, if the only sales that get reported are high ones, it will artificially inflate the market for those books, until George can rejigger his output string to include things like PQ and scans

uh, have you looked at GPA recently? I don't really think there is a problem that only high sales get reported.

What's that got to do with anything?

If Mr Schmell was honest with his reporting, GPA would skew even lower. At least some people are clearly stand-up enough to do the right thing.

Same side, my friend. (thumbs u

Me too.

I still think there should be a mechanism for reporting collector to collector sales.

I still think individual purchases and/or sales should be allowed.

I am still of the opinion that GPA data includes a very small percentage of actual sales.

If a small percentage of that sales data is withheld (or "manipulated" as some of you would call it) it represents such a small number in relation to the total overall market as to be meaningless. Until there is a tremendous increase in the amount of data that is compiled by GPA it will only be a small snapshot of a tiny corner of the comic hobby.

I haven't opened an Overstreet in years. The only raw books I buy come out of one, two or three dollar boxes, so it really isn't worth the effort. If I do happen to buy an expense raw book, I do compare the price to its slabbed contemporary using GPA and I have made money doing so.

Either report or don't. Selective reporting is hideous.

Okay, fix it.

For s' sake, Jim. doh!

Sean can't fix it.

But George can and if I know George at all, he will be taking steps to protect the integrity of his data.

You are taking that post too literal, Nick. The ones before really play into the tongue and cheek way it was posted.