• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCAM ALERT == 1940 Batman # 1 CGC 5.5 Classic Issue Comic

31 posts in this topic

. . .It's hard for me to see how this isn't a legitimate sale. 1200+ eBay feedbacks is nothing to sneeze at . . .

1200+ feedbacks . . . OK . . . but . . . .

His starting bid of $5,000 means he threw away extra money on the listing fee, when he could just as well have started bids at $1.

I also agree that the layout of his listing is retar.... er, I mean foolish.

Also, he was really stupid when he chose to publically insult the person who offered an outside sale.

A seasoned citizen of the eBay herd wouldn't make these neophyte faux pas (tsk)

. . .It's hard for me to see how this isn't a legitimate sale. 1200+ eBay feedbacks is nothing to sneeze at . . .

1200+ feedbacks . . . OK . . . but . . . .

His starting bid of $5,000 means he threw away extra money on the listing fee, when he could just as well have started bids at $1.

I also agree that the layout of his listing is retar.... er, I mean foolish.

Also, he was really stupid when he chose to publically insult the person who offered an outside sale.

A seasoned citizen of the eBay herd wouldn't make these neophyte faux pas (tsk)

I don't see how the guy "threw away" extra money on his listing fee by not starting at $1.00. Unless he paid only a dollar for it in the first place, he probably wanted to make sure it didn't end up going for an incredibly low "wholesale" price (perhaps in part because of doubts raised in places like this thread?). If so then he had the option of paying extra to start it at 5K or paying through the nose, the a@@, the armpit and the eyeballs for ebay's absolutely insane unreasonable and maddening "reserve fees"

(if you think that's an exaggeration, imagine any third party auction house charging you 5% for listing your item with a reserve and then charging you that whether it sells or not)

I don't see how the guy "threw away" extra money on his listing fee by not starting at $1.00. Unless he paid only a dollar for it in the first place, he probably wanted to make sure it didn't end up going for an incredibly low "wholesale" price (perhaps in part because of doubts raised in places like this thread?).

I wouldn't say that he threw away the listing fee if it were a more obscure book. But this was a Batman #1 -- one of the most popular titles there is, especially for the high-roller collectors. Couple that with the fact that the seller was confident enough about the value to know that $5,000 was a lousy price (and insult somebody who offered to buy at that price), and you have to wonder why he wasn't confident enough to simply let the market take its natural course. Just my two cents on the matter.

I don't see how the guy "threw away" extra money on his listing fee by not starting at $1.00. Unless he paid only a dollar for it in the first place, he probably wanted to make sure it didn't end up going for an incredibly low "wholesale" price (perhaps in part because of doubts raised in places like this thread?).

I wouldn't say that he threw away the listing fee if it were a more obscure book. But this was a Batman #1 -- one of the most popular titles there is, especially for the high-roller collectors. Couple that with the fact that the seller was confident enough about the value to know that $5,000 was a lousy price (and insult somebody who offered to buy at that price), and you have to wonder why he wasn't confident enough to simply let the market take its natural course. Just my two cents on the matter.

Currently too little money chasing too many books and with all the focus on the current auction sites it could easily fall through the gap. I know that I missed it and I'm in the market for a Bat #1.

The seller wants the benefit of the upside of an auction with a stop loss at a minimum price hence the listing.

I'm not confident enoough in the current market to list any comics at no reserve unless they are unrestored mid-high grade GA and SA major keys. This Bat#1 is restored and hence a riskier no reserve $1 listing.

Currently too little money chasing too many books and with all the focus on the current auction sites it could easily fall through the gap. I know that I missed it and I'm in the market for a Bat #1.The seller wants the benefit of the upside of an auction with a stop loss at a minimum price hence the listing.

When you have a point, you have a point. At the least, I do think it's a trade-off. If you're watching a market, you know how much faith you can have in things to happen as they should, but perhaps this guy hadn't been watching the comic market lately. There can be tangible benefits to a low start price, as it could generate more watchers and buzz. (Speaking of benefits, it could also be considered beneficial to have one's listing posted as a "SCAM ALERT" in this forum, with the result that many golden-age buyers would see the listing.)

Regarding the listing fee, I am not sure how much it is, but it is scaled by price, so I assume for a $5,000 starting bid it would be pretty high (unless eBay was offering deals on listings at the time). I suppose one could write that expense off as insurance.