• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCAM ALERT == 1940 Batman # 1 CGC 5.5 Classic Issue Comic

31 posts in this topic

eBay Spoof Listing Of The Week

I don't know about ya'll, but I only need one warning flag to go red with my SCAM ALERT

body of the listing . . ..

Up for sale due to job loss is one of the top golden age comics. Batman No. 1 CGC encapsuled, the lable reads: CGC Restored Grade

Batman # 1 Apparent FN- 5.5 Extensive (P) Restoration includes: color touch, pieces added, tear seals, cleaned, re-glossed OFF-WHITE Pages

D.C. Comics, Spring 1940 Origin of Batman. First appearance of the Joker and the Cat (Catwoman). Bob Kane art. Unrestored value runs roughly 25000.00 Being that this is a restored copy I'm starting the bidding at 5000.00 a great buy and investment for a beautiful eye appealing piece of American history.Comics being what they are it has always been my opinion that they will all eventually need some restoration.Now is the time to get key issues at a steal of a price. THANKS FOR LOOKING AND HAPPY BIDDING! Due to the fact that this is a CGC graded book no return policy is offered.O.K. I finally got some help from my lovely wife on how to take a decent picture . I hope this helps everyone appreciate the true beauty of this classic book. Thanks to all the bidders for their patience.

I want to apologize to the bidder who's question i posted. I was frustrated and had a few too many cocktails.It's tough times.but no reason to be a jerk.

I don't know about ya'll, but I only need one warning flag to go red with my SCAM ALERT

Up for sale due to job loss is one of the top golden age comics. Batman No. 1 CGC encapsuled, the lable reads: CGC Restored Grade

Batman # 1 Apparent FN- 5.5 Extensive (P) Restoration includes: color touch, pieces added, tear seals, cleaned, re-glossed OFF-WHITE Pages

D.C. Comics, Spring 1940 Origin of Batman. First appearance of the Joker and the Cat (Catwoman). Bob Kane art. Unrestored value runs roughly 25000.00 Being that this is a restored copy I'm starting the bidding at 5000.00 a great buy and investment for a beautiful eye appealing piece of American history.Comics being what they are it has always been my opinion that they will all eventually need some restoration.Now is the time to get key issues at a steal of a price. THANKS FOR LOOKING AND HAPPY BIDDING! Due to the fact that this is a CGC graded book no return policy is offered.O.K. I finally got some help from my lovely wife on how to take a decent picture . I hope this helps everyone appreciate the true beauty of this classic book. Thanks to all the bidders for their patience.

I want to apologize to the bidder who's question i posted. I was frustrated and had a few too many cocktails.It's tough times.but no reason to be a jerk.

I get why it's an interesting listing or why you'd say the seller is not being totally smart about the listing, I am not sure I see "scam" here. The guy has over 1200 feedback 100% positive and it qualifies for full ebay protection. If it's a scam and you're careful the most you'll lose is some time and effort getting your money refunded.

Call me old skool, by way of the Indiana University School of Business, Class of 1986, but . . .

1. Listing is very unprofessionally laid out.

2. Photos are poor.

3. Replies to questions regarding the listing are unprofessional.

4. Although the seller claims to have 1255 feedback's with 100% positive, if you look at his feedback's as a Seller, he only has a total of EIGHT going back to October 2006 -- that's over 3 years of no activity.

5. No track record as a comic book buyer or seller.

The only condition I would accept in purchasing this comic book is for me to meet the seller either at his bank or at the local police station and complete the transaction in person.

That's a standard practice I use for comics being offered on eBay within 150 miles of NE Indiana.

Call me old skool, by way of the Indiana University School of Business, Class of 1986, but . . .

1. Listing is very unprofessionally laid out.

2. Photos are poor.

3. Replies to questions regarding the listing are unprofessional.

4. Although the seller claims to have 1255 feedback's with 100% positive, if you look at his feedback's as a Seller, he only has a total of EIGHT going back to October 2006 -- that's over 3 years of no activity.

5. No track record as a comic book buyer or seller.

The only condition I would accept in purchasing this comic book is for me to meet the seller either at his bank or at the local police station and complete the transaction in person.

That's a standard practice I use for comics being offered on eBay within 150 miles of NE Indiana.

All good points. Though I don't quite get the wording of #4 (seller "claims to have 1255 feedback") isn't it ebay saying he's got 1255 feedback? And if he's pulling a scam, it's either his first, or he works harder than need be to set up feedback. Since you don't address the ebay protection, I'd be curious to know if you think it has any value in protecting the buyer. The only times I've been screwed were the times I got suckered into deviating from the guidelines that protected me. If a person buys this per the ebay/paypal protection guidelines and makes sure to open it on the spot in the post office -- returning immediately if it's an empty box or whatever -- I don't see how ebay/paypal fails to reimburse them. Unless I am missin gsomething

. . . it qualifies for full ebay protection. If it's a scam and you're careful the most you'll lose is some time and effort getting your money refunded.

Do you really want to risk having no access to YOUR $5000+ for up to 45 days while your case is in the hands of some ebay trainee?

Yes, ebay says the seller name ''supes1" has 1255 feedback's dating all the way back to mid-1998. Just another of many warning flags when the seller's feedback's for the past 3 1/4 years is no more that 8.

How a sleeper ebay hi-jacked user cell can go rogue, I care not to speculate. (shrug)

. . . it qualifies for full ebay protection. If it's a scam and you're careful the most you'll lose is some time and effort getting your money refunded.

Do you really want to risk having no access to YOUR $5000+ for up to 45 days while your case is in the hands of some ebay trainee?

If you use ebay/paypal and follow all their rules and you pay using a decent credit card and you dispute the charge within everybody's time frame you will not have to lay out any money.

Not saying it can't possibly be a scam. But the warning signs indicate more that one should be careful than that one should avoid entirely. Unless the time and effort you risk is worth more to you than what you might spend buying this or another copy. (and where the price is now, that's a significant amount of money). If and when the gap closes the potential hassle becomes more significant.

Wow, I nearly bid on this. :o

Thanks for the heads up! (thumbs u

Q: any interest in $5000 shipped to Canada outside of ebay through paypal? You will save a few hundred dollars in fees. Thanks either way.

A: Ya right dream on loser this isn't my first rodeo we both know this is worth way more than that

Regardless of anything else, this little exchange is pretty funny lol

Q: any interest in $5000 shipped to Canada outside of ebay through paypal? You will save a few hundred dollars in fees. Thanks either way.

A: Ya right dream on loser this isn't my first rodeo we both know this is worth way more than that

Regardless of anything else, this little exchange is pretty funny lol

Haha! That is really funny. And why would someone be so rude to a potential buyer!

That alone would turn anyone off. :roflmao:

I dont think this is a scam... I mean it just seems like he doesn't really want to sell it. I would also be a little annoyed at a low ball offer as well for a book as nice as this, probably would just not respond as rudely. I'm sure he realizes that some of the sharks can smell the blood in the water.

Also, why would he turn down a chance to sell a book outside of ebay, unless he is just waiting for cash, which I doubt?

And if he really does have the book and doesn't want to sell it, but unfortunately needs to, I hope he is still able to get a good price that that book deserves.

Just my 2c

the cgc label # was legit, I confirmed that

since you can't tell the label # from the pictures, I suspect he really does (did) have the book....

however, my requests for better detailed pictures went unanswered, so I took the high road

A poster confirmed that the CGC label is legit.

If you're not absolutely sure that this is a scam, you might consider modifying/deleting this thread.

If the sale is legit, this thread isn't helping the guy's sale, CGC, or the hobby.

This ended at $9,600. I don't know if that's good, bad, or ugly, but that's a spoonload of money in my book.

It's hard for me to see how this isn't a legitimate sale. 1200+ eBay feedbacks is nothing to sneeze at, and the seller did answer a lot of questions in what would appear to be a timely manner. He also provided a decent number of photos (though for something like this, I would have provided many more).

His starting bid of $5,000 means he threw away extra money on the listing fee, when he could just as well have started bids at $1. What's the difference when you know for sure you're selling a popular, desirable item?

I also agree that the layout of his listing is retar.... er, I mean foolish. So the guy's not a stickler for details. As long as he knows how to package well when he ships, I guess it doesn't much matter, seeing as how the comic is CGC-encased.

Also, he was really stupid when he chose to publically insult the person who offered an outside sale. There's a button you push to make such responses public, and for whatever reason, this guy thought it would be a good idea to do so. Makes him seem vindictive and childish, which aren't qualities you want when you're doing business on a $9,600 item. It was nice of him to apologize in his listing, even though that served to draw additional attention to the insult.