• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-submitted AF#15, Got Downgraded

75 posts in this topic

I just found out through online tracking that it is now has a 4.5.

I still love the book, but it will depress me a bit every time I now look at it. Lesson learned, be careful when re-submitting.

I think if you are really honest with yourself, you listened to the praise from others and thought the book would get a bump up, thereby netting you potentially thousands on a book of this nature.I'm not having a go at you for this, however you pays your money, you takes your chance.

Personally I would be sick as a pig if my AF15 got downgraded (not that I own one-I wish).

I think even if the case had a crack in it, as long as the book is undamaged, don't re-submit.

Lesson learned? An AF 15 in a cracked slab weighing in as a 5.0, is still more desirable and sellable than an AF 15 weighing in as a 4.5 in a pretty new shiny plastic case. (thumbs u

2c

The differential between a 4.5 and 5.0 is a thousand dollars at best! :makepoint:

Hell, two resubmittals (unless using a free coupon say) would eat up half or more of that... :tonofbricks:

I wonder if the grader's notes are erased from the system once the label is turned in.

I'd imagine this would be the case.

^^ that is correct, I tried to have one looked up a while back, it's standard for them to delete the record.

I wonder if the grader's notes are erased from the system once the label is turned in.

^^ that is correct, I tried to have one looked up a while back, it's standard for them to delete the record.

Thanks for the confirmation. (thumbs u

I still love the book, but it will depress me a bit every time I now look at it. Lesson learned, be careful when re-submitting.

I think if you are really honest with yourself, you listened to the praise from others and thought the book would get a bump up, thereby netting you potentially thousands on a book of this nature.I'm not having a go at you for this, however you pays your money, you takes your chance.

Personally I would be sick as a pig if my AF15 got downgraded (not that I own one-I wish).

I think even if the case had a crack in it, as long as the book is undamaged, don't re-submit.

Lesson learned? An AF 15 in a cracked slab weighing in as a 5.0, is still more desirable and sellable than an AF 15 weighing in as a 4.5 in a pretty new shiny plastic case. (thumbs u

2c

The differential between a 4.5 and 5.0 is a thousand dollars at best! :makepoint:

Hell, two resubmittals (unless using a free coupon say) would eat up half or more of that... :tonofbricks:

Tom, that is incorrect. The difference between 12 month gpa average 4.5 and 5.0 is about 3 grand. Addd another $3000 for 5.5

I think that submitting an AF15 in this grade cannot cost more than $75. So, Wolv55, get it pressed and resubmit it once a year until you get what you want

The lesson to be learned here is to call for grader notes on the book you plan to resubmit before you resubmit it.

WOW! Thank you OP.

After reading all this, if a book can loose .5 of a grade in the holder, I can only imaginei .2.

I would never invest in a 9.2,9.4,9.6 or 9.8. Seems like one would be throwing a lot of money away.

Why do people pay so much for these knowing the possibilities?

That is a bummer, I would resubmit down the road as many have said. This has been a informative thread to me as I am fairly new to finally using CGC. Collected comics for years but not to long with all the CGC jive. Press and resubmit sounds like what many are doing everywhere?!

2c

Tom, that is incorrect. The difference between 12 month gpa average 4.5 and 5.0 is about 3 grand. Addd another $3000 for 5.5

I think that submitting an AF15 in this grade cannot cost more than $75. So, Wolv55, get it pressed and resubmit it once a year until you get what you want

I was guessing at the fees but if it's only around $75 that's not bad. And I was of course comparing the 4.5 to 5.0 scenario...not the 5.5, but I see your point. The resubmitting now is probably viable, assuming 4.5 is now the book's lowest threshold...

I think that the harm of being downgraded through re-submission is if you have interest in selling down the road.

1) Obviously given the subjective nature of grading, the same book can earn a different grade depending on the grader, the day, and a number of other factors, you just never know.

2) Previously slabbed books are not guaranteed to remain in the identical condition in which they were at the time of grading. You could leave it out near the sun, store it in a room with humidity issues, etc. It's easy for a book to legitimately drop a point over time just due to aging and storing issues.

So if you're book drops a point, it is what it is if the condition changed over time. It's a pain in the neck if you simply re-submitted and were rewarded with a lower grade.

But if you're not going to re-sell, appreciate the book and not the label as you say. But if you do plan to sell down the road, I could imagine being quite disappointed.

WOW! Thank you OP.

After reading all this, if a book can loose .5 of a grade in the holder, I can only imaginei .2.

I would never invest in a 9.2,9.4,9.6 or 9.8. Seems like one would be throwing a lot of money away.

Because CGC's margin of error is still at least twice as good as the average dealer's grading, and because their restoration detection is at least ten times as good.

WOW! Thank you OP.

I would much rather take a gamble on any raw book on ebay and take the sellers unbiased grade and resto check for what it is. That's so much safer in my book (thumbs u

WOW! Thank you OP.

Because CGC's margin of error is still at least twice as good as the average dealer's grading, and because their restoration detection is at least ten times as good.

That pretty much sums up most CGC debates past,present and future.

I definitely agree with this.

I do question the sanity of spending 10 times the amount of a 9.6 for a 9.8 when the margin of error in grading makes it possible to have a marginal book end up in either grade.

When a tiny spine stress amounts to a potential order of magnitude price difference, I think people have lost sight of what they are collecting.

But that is just me. :D