• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the next comic book Age?

132 posts in this topic

Personally, I don't see why the copper age would have to stop in the early 90s. Yes I know Image happened and speculation hit an all time high, but the gimmick marketing of comics to the die hard readers hadn't really changed.

Wow, I can't believe you were buying comics back then.

I was buying through most of the 80's, but the moment Spider-man #1 was released, the comic world changed. Instead of the "usual crowd" I saw people I'd never seen before buying stacks/cases of that issue, others debating which color/version was the best "investment", and everyone oooh'ing and aaaah'ing the Platinum Spider-man #1 the LCS owner had proudly displayed.

On that exact day, comics changed and the Chromium/Speculator Age started.

That single book led to X-Men #1 multiple cover madness, which I think is still the best-selling comic of all-time, the X-Force #1 stupidity, which all led to the "rock star" status of McFarlane, Lee & Liefeld and the eventual formation of Image. Add in Valaint launching its superhero comic line at about the same time, and you have a serious shift in comics in 1990.

I remember that day.

Mcfarlane ruled and it was much anticipated. I did enjoy reading it.

What amazed me was that nobodies were coming in and picking up 50 copies of that book. It was insane.

You don't remember this same thing happening with Howard the Duck #1 and Dazzler #1?

Personally, I don't see why the copper age would have to stop in the early 90s. Yes I know Image happened and speculation hit an all time high, but the gimmick marketing of comics to the die hard readers hadn't really changed.

I agree. The copper age should go until at least the year 2000

You can't ignore the events of early to mid 90s in the industry with:

The advent of the "Rockstar" artists (remember Rob Liefeld's Levis' commercial?!?)

Spider-Man #1(1990), X-Men #1 (1991), Superman #75 (1993), etc. ridiculous circulation numbers (all topping 1 million mark easily)

Rise of Image Comics (1992) (exit McFarlene, Liefeld, Silvestri, Lee, Larson, etc.)

Don't forget:

Valiant Launches Superhero line (1990)

I agree. The copper age should go until at least the year 2000

You can't ignore the events of early to mid 90s in the industry with:

The advent of the "Rockstar" artists (remember Rob Liefeld's Levis' commercial?!?)

Spider-Man #1(1990), X-Men #1 (1991), Superman #75 (1993), etc. ridiculous circulation numbers (all topping 1 million mark easily)

Rise of Image Comics (1992) (exit McFarlene, Liefeld, Silvestri, Lee, Larson, etc.)

Don't forget:

Valiant Launches Superhero line (1990)

And the rise of Wizard, always happy to pour fuel on the fire.

You don't remember this same thing happening with Howard the Duck #1 and Dazzler #1?

Nope, and neither of those books sold anywhere near the early-90's Spider-man 1, X-Men 1, X-Force 1 triumvirate.

Exactly. Matter of scale. Brunner didn't do a jeans commercial, and Frank Springer didn't buy Aaron's key HR balls.

Nope, and neither of those books sold anywhere near the early-90's Spider-man 1, X-Men 1, X-Force 1 triumvirate.

What happened to the people you know with longboxes full of Hulk 181's that would crash the market if they ever decided to dump?

I thought you knew people with hoards from Bronze up.

What happened to the people you know with longboxes full of Hulk 181's that would crash the market if they ever decided to dump?

I thought you knew people with hoards from Bronze up.

Of course, but there are likely sealed cases of X-Men 1 out there in board member's storage rooms, and I could fill up a few longboxes just at one small local show.

I am not talking *common* like many BA comics, these million-seller Modern books are EVERYWHERE.

(And please, no one bring up "chromium." Elemental chromium is a metal; comic book "chromium" is a patented printing process on plastic, which contains no actual chromium.)

I already did, so suck it.

Just tell me which level of suction you require.

I knew it.

-slym

What should we call the new age here on the boards?

The Graded Age--for all the moderns which are graded

or

The 9.8 Age--as this is the most desirable number out there (9.9 and 10 excluded)

Just an idea to throw out there.

(And please, no one bring up "chromium." Elemental chromium is a metal; comic book "chromium" is a patented printing process on plastic, which contains no actual chromium.)

So you actually believe that vintage comics contain real Gold, Silver and Bronze?? :tonofbricks:

Rob Liefeld's Youngblood #1 sold over 1 million copies.

Todd McFarlane's Spawn #1 sold 1.7 million copies in its own right, though the argument could be made that since those books didn't go into additional printings the true number of books that could have been sold will never be determined.

Also, Todd McFarlene's Spider-Man #1 sold 2.5 million copies

The initial printing of Superman #75 was somewhere around 3 million copies. DC went back to press with the book and when all was said and done the book sold some 6 million copies. Also with had 2 covers.

Jim Lee's X-Men #1 topped out at 8 million copies. The advantage being that it had 5 different covers, if I remember correctly.

:o