• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USM #5 insanity!

23 posts in this topic

Remember when comic covers were actually a preview specific to the story inside? I guess the boys and girls in marketing told them that stories don't sell, "hot" art does.

I think there is probably a much simpler explanation: publishing schedules.

To actually plan and project timelines for covers that apply to the internal story and action is tough work, while telling the artist to "just pump out some generic pose covers when you have the time" is a breeze.

This is certainly true if the cover artists is not the same as the story artist. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying, by why couldn't the story artist do the cover at the same time he/she did the story? It worked for 50 years or so. confused-smiley-013.gifflowerred.gif

Please see all the "when is X comic coming out, it's been X months!!" threads in Modern. Marvel's publishing schedule is cooked on many books, and introducing co-developed covers would be the nail in the coffin.

All the USM covers featuring only Spidey look almost exactly the same. Being one of "the best USM covers" is about as low a bar as an artist needs to clear.

Add to that all the ASM covers during the last few years. What it adds up to is the worst decade ever for Spidey covers. frown.gif

What are you doing Marvel? No more dull 'pin-up' covers, bring back the ACTION.

This can be applied to ANY Marvel cover over the last several years, no?

All the USM covers featuring only Spidey look almost exactly the same. Being one of "the best USM covers" is about as low a bar as an artist needs to clear.

Add to that all the ASM covers during the last few years. What it adds up to is the worst decade ever for Spidey covers. frown.gif

What are you doing Marvel? No more dull 'pin-up' covers, bring back the ACTION.

This can be applied to ANY Marvel cover over the last several years, no?

Here's a great quote that someone on another message board wrote following Marvel's announcement to upgrade the cover stock on its Ultimate books:

"Now do you think they can actually put together some covers that look GOOD??? If I see one more cover of Spider-man by himself doing basically nothing, I'll scream. They're the worst covers ever.

It's all so plain vanilla, and the coloring and the Ultimate logo, and the bar on the left side all suck. The glossy stuff sucks too."

Amen, brotha.

Gene