• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

-Silver Age DC Superhero-SURVIVOR SERIES-Round 5

-Silver Age DC Superhero-SURVIVOR SERIES-Round 5  

120 members have voted

1. 1. -Silver Age DC Superhero-SURVIVOR SERIES-Round 5

42 posts in this topic

This poll is completely flawed. 2 of the best 5 covers(JLA #56 and Strange Adv #212) have already been voted off. What are you guys thinking?

I know I screwed up on this round's poll, but is it the poll itself that's flawed? Is it the setup of the competition? Perhaps it's the randomness that bothers you and you can't understand how others aren't voting for the same ones that you are.

We've got to keep in mind that people may have different reasons for voting for the ones that they do. Your "favorite" cover may be based on artist, style, creativity, is it a key issue, you remember it from when you were a kid, general appeal, or whatever. Personally, I have well-drawn and the coolness factor that help me choose my favorites.

I've had people suggest we do these a different way, and that's fine. I don't own the patent to the Survivor Series contests, so whoever wants to start one, may do so and do it as they see fit.

Andy 2c

You should just limit the noms to 50.

After the nomination thread, have ONE single thread where everyone can vote for their top 50. Top 50 vote getters move on. That way, every cover gets a chance, but we don't have to vote on 200+ covers over multiple rounds.

Then run it the normal way.

This poll is completely flawed. 2 of the best 5 covers(JLA #56 and Strange Adv #212) have already been voted off. What are you guys thinking?

Many of my favorites are gone too, but that's not because the poll is flawed --

IT'S BECAUSE THE VOTERS ARE FLAWED!!

Jack

lol just in case

That was my point. I wasn't being critical of Andy, even though I do think it would be useful to have larger scans of the books...

Click on the thumbnails and large scans will magically appear!

Are you trying to vote from thumbnails only? No wonder you think the poll is flawed.

Forget it, Jake. It's Internettown.

Jack

"All the world is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer." --Robert Owen, 1828

It took me a while to find that one;)

and I voted those 2 off;)

You are now on MY probation list.

"All the world is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer." --Robert Owen, 1828

It took me a while to find that one;)

and I voted those 2 off;)

You are now on MY probation list.

:acclaim:

I never did make Cal's;)

I know I screwed up on this round's poll, but is it the poll itself that's flawed? Is it the setup of the competition? Perhaps it's the randomness that bothers you and you can't understand how others aren't voting for the same ones that you are.

We've got to keep in mind that people may have different reasons for voting for the ones that they do. Your "favorite" cover may be based on artist, style, creativity, is it a key issue, you remember it from when you were a kid, general appeal, or whatever. Personally, I have well-drawn and the coolness factor that help me choose my favorites.

I've had people suggest we do these a different way, and that's fine. I don't own the patent to the Survivor Series contests, so whoever wants to start one, may do so and do it as they see fit.

Andy 2c

You should just limit the noms to 50.

After the nomination thread, have ONE single thread where everyone can vote for their top 50. Top 50 vote getters move on. That way, every cover gets a chance, but we don't have to vote on 200+ covers over multiple rounds.

Then run it the normal way.

This sounds good. hm

It seems to me that people are basing their voting on the importance of the book (based on the voting). There is simply no way that Showcase 22 is a better cover than 23 (or about 20 others on the list). If this is about voting on your favorite character or the most important book, I misunderstood.

I don't get the fascination with Brave & the Bold #28. It is one of the dumbest covers of any on the list. The Justice League fights a giant alien starfish.

It is what it is...

As Andy suggests, when you're polling collectors, their favorites are gonna be all tied up with nostalgia, collectibility, value, "importance" however they define it, etc. I'm sure if we were polling a bunch of fine arts majors, the results would be wildly different. For me the giant starfish cover has taken on such an iconic importance, including serving as a FF #1 prototype, that I can completely see how it is still hanging around. Similarly, if we were doing a Golden Age version, All-Star Comics #3 would no doubt rate very highly, even though it is just a bunch of long-underwear characters sitting around a conference table. :flamed:

:gossip: But I still stand by my vote to send Showcase #4 packing :acclaim:

I don't get the fascination with Brave & the Bold #28. It is one of the dumbest covers of any on the list. The Justice League fights a giant alien starfish.

It's got pretty colors. LOTS of pretty colors.

It seems to me that people are basing their voting on the importance of the book (based on the voting). There is simply no way that Showcase 22 is a better cover than 23 (or about 20 others on the list). If this is about voting on your favorite character or the most important book, I misunderstood.

I have to disagree with this. I love 22, regardless of its importance. It's got GL in a classic dynamic pose, flying through the air over a very cool cityscape/harbor scene. And the colors are great. I like 23 too, but it's basically GL just standing there pointing his ring.

Jack

lol just in case

That was my point. I wasn't being critical of Andy, even though I do think it would be useful to have larger scans of the books...

Are you trying to vote from thumbnails only? No wonder you think the poll is flawed.

Jack

On the thumbnails, it works a lot better if you turn off the option "Images Link Back To Album" under your accout settings. That way when you click on a thumb it goes right to the image without loading the album webpage.

Jack

lol just in case

Jack

On the thumbnails, it works a lot better if you turn off the option "Images Link Back To Album" under your accout settings. That way when you click on a thumb it goes right to the image without loading the album webpage.

John, can you tell me where to change this, please?

Jack

lol just in case

Jack

Sure, go to your home page on Photobucket, click on Account Settings, then scroll down to Album Settings. There's a box that you can uncheck next to "Images Link Back to Album."

The only catch is I don't know if you can change the setting on a thumb link you've already posted. But I would think you could change it for the next round, but you might have to recopy the links, rather than cut-and-paste what you used in this round, if that makes sense.

I learned this from the guys in the VCC.

Jack

lol just in case

Jack

Sure, go to your home page on Photobucket, click on Account Settings, then scroll down to Album Settings. There's a box that you can uncheck next to "Images Link Back to Album."

The only catch is I don't know if you can change the setting on a thumb link you've already posted. But I would think you could change it for the next round, but you might have to recopy the links, rather than cut-and-paste what you used in this round, if that makes sense.

Okay, I've done that. Can you check the first page and see if the images are still viewable?

Thanks,

Andy

Jack

lol just in case

Jack

Okay, I've done that. Can you check the first page and see if the images are still viewable?

Thanks,

Andy

No, they're still loading the whole album page. I'm pretty sure you'd have to recopy the links now that you've changed the setting. The good news is that from now on any time you copy a thumb link from Photobucket the link should just load the image--which is much quicker, not to mention larger.

Just to put it into perspective, most of the covers you've professed to like are ones I went meh about. (shrug)

I'll say it again. When this started I went through and picked my absolute favorite covers. I came up with 14 of them. The rest were deemed fodder and good ridance to them. All 14 are still there :banana: although some will probably come off this round.

I have to disagree with this. I love 22, regardless of its importance. It's got GL in a classic dynamic pose, flying through the air over a very cool cityscape/harbor scene. And the colors are great. I like 23 too, but it's basically GL just standing there pointing his ring.

When I look at the city on the cover of Showcase 22 and imagine it to be Coast City, then the image can become quite a sad one at times, bearing in mind what happens there and all of the experiences Hal Jordan will have later in his career, during and after Emerald Twilight.