• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age Marvel B&W Magazines!

3 posts in this topic

Who remembers these?

The heyday of B&W Marvel mags was definitely the Bronze Age, but they published some interesting stuff in the 80s.

Savage Sword of Conan was still chugging along. The early-80s was when I discovered this "totally awesome" magazine. (I was twelve.)

There was a short-lived Savage Tales relaunch, with some very 80s Joe Jusko women-in-lingerie-with-guns covers.

The 'Nam was reprinted in a magazine format, with great B&W Michael Golden artwork.

The Destroyer briefly had a magazine. And Freddie Kruger had a short two issue series. I was never aware of these at the time, but I was familiar with the movies and the Destroyer series of books.

Apparently Steve Gerber contributed to the Nightmare on Elm Street mags. (Which shouldn't surprise me, since he wrote the Kiss magazine a decade before!)

I also think the Punisher had a magazine as well, but I never checked it out.

Have I forgotten any?

To be honest, I only dabbled in these when they came out. Any hidden gems here? What do you think?

There was a short-lived Savage Tales relaunch, with some very 80s Joe Jusko women-in-lingerie-with-guns covers.

The 'Nam was reprinted in a magazine format, with great B&W Michael Golden artwork.

I think you hit on quite a bit of the books.

The Nam, if memory serves me right, started out in Savage Tales Vol. 2, #1 as a backup story, so this would be the first appearance issue for collectors.

The hidden gems that are not so hidden anymore are the Punisher B&W appearances in Marvel Preview #2 (origin of The Punisher) and Marvel Super Action #1 (a great Punisher story about a female assassin). But these were Bronze Age books since they came out around 1975-1976.

The Nam, if memory serves me right, started out in Savage Tales Vol. 2, #1 as a backup story, so this would be the first appearance issue for collectors.

Yes, and I think the 4th issue had another Nam story, this one introducing that Tunnel Rat character (Frank Verzyl) who has a very disturbing and memorable adventure in The Nam issue 8, one of my favorite war comics ever.