• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you shop at a comic store like this??

169 posts in this topic

In addition to the other expenses I laid out, one must have health insurance and workmans comp. A decent family plan will set you back $2,000 a month in NY State.

and this is why one needs a spouse with a real job and real benefits before embarking on said adventure. my wife's good health insurance plan (and the ability to add me to it) is the only reason i even ponder opening my own practice.

There's something to be said for both obviously. Once you've spent 1k+ on hotel, travel, and food to get to San Diego for 5 days (not counting vacation time) or some other large comic con that's not local, some people might think that it was $1k they could have better spent on a comic book.

------------

one is likely going to sdcc for the experience like any other trip/vacation, not just as an alternative venue for buying comics. if you live in/near a big city, you will have more options.

A couple of years ago, my nephews friend opened up a skateboard/t shirt shop. I gave him a comic rack and stocked it with 1980s comics that I thought might appeal to the crowd- Judge Dredd, DNAgents, Nexus, ect. AT a cover of anywhere from $1 to $1.50, they were cheaper than new comics.

First two weeks, he sold almost $300 worth. Next month, he sold about $50.

After three months, he asked me to remove the books.

A couple of years ago, my nephews friend opened up a skateboard/t shirt shop. I gave him a comic rack and stocked it with 1980s comics that I thought might appeal to the crowd- Judge Dredd, DNAgents, Nexus, ect. AT a cover of anywhere from $1 to $1.50, they were cheaper than new comics.

First two weeks, he sold almost $300 worth. Next month, he sold about $50.

After three months, he asked me to remove the books.

Were you re-stocking it? I'd think in that scenario you'd have to work hard making sure what's on there would appeal to the crowd. I would think DNAgents and Nexus would not have. Judge Dredd would have. I think today's zombie type books at $2 each (in other words, under cover) might sell ok. they'd sell better at $1 each, but at some point there's no profit in the venture. $300 off the spinner rack sounds pretty good. I guess the kids bought some comics initially and lost interest? Seems like nowadays there are so many more non-super hero comics out there that would appeal to a non-SH crow you can pick up as overstock from the last 15 years or whatever and put on a rack profitably at less than cover.

of course, bagging and boarding them would probably TURN OFF these types of readers. But then again, if you don't do that the comics are going to get trashed and nobody wants to buy something that has been bent in half and mangled, even if they can't tell the difference between NM and Fine.

not to mention, the problem with so many of today's comics is that if you randomly buy an issue you won't have an idea of what's going on because so many stories are in 3 - 10 part arcs. it really puts a damper on anyone randomly dropping a couple of bucks on some disposable sequential art entertainment.

What if instead of renting a place , a person buys a space? Storefront?

I've pondered the same thing. But either way you need money. If you don't have a huge chunk of cash, you'd be paying a mortgage/RE taxes. not to mention lost opportunity costs if you keep space for yourself that you could rent out.

In an ideal world it's something you can run out of the 1st floor of your home if you live somewhere with mixed commercial/residential use. this works best in brownstone/town house type areas with density and such.