• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you shop at a comic store like this??

169 posts in this topic

I don't think the intent is to have a firesale...

The comics that will move for higher prices will probably be online. It's the mid-grades he's talking about. (It's an outlet to dump books at a reasonable price.. and a place to take in new collections.)

I think you'd have to have daily "firesales" in order to keep up with rent, payroll, insurance, security, enough on-hand cash to buy new collections, etc... to make the store last for more than a few months.

If all the good stuff goes straight to online sales, what's the point? A shop where you can go in and buy mid-grade off-titles? How long are you going to last selling $2/5/10 copies of mid-grade House of Secrets or Black Panther or even Avengers?

Maybe you didnt read my post, but I clearly said everything would run through the store for a set amount of time, before it was put on line, and even when it was put online, it would NOT have to be removed from the store. Price point inventory control is pretty cheap and accessible now.

I did read your initial post (3 pages ago). I was responding to Shin's comment, "the comics that move for higher prices will probably be online". Sorry that I didn't recall every detail of your initial post. In any case, there's no need to be pizzy or condescending (which is how your above response reads).

I like the idea. I wish something like that could work. I would certainly support a shop like that in my area, but I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to do it.

Is this serious? Where was your first store? Where is the new one?

The Dale plan, I love it, not to steal your thunder, but the Bunkys will be re opening our retail store, EXACTLY as Dale points out in his summary,

HOWEVER, let it be known smarter retail people in the know, i.e. Bedrock, state you cannot live on back issue only, as nice as the thought is, nobody wants to be married to new stock, as much as market demand, forces you to carry some portion of new books.

Keep you posted on our success or whatever as the year plays out,

Bunky

Considering the Bunkys live in two different areas... One would have to move ideally.

Considering the overhead (rent, utilities, insurance, phone/internet, fixtures), you start out about $15-20k for the year in the hole for a decent location.

Well, originally we started as internet ONLY, on ebay doing lots of average sale, but the fees involved with ebay and the relisting of product took away all profits, so now, we move horizontal to the frontage road, full traffic access, location and bang, new carpets etc, Kenny don't want to carry any new books if possible, but talking with Bedrock and the like ya kindof need to?

Sooo if anybody cares, here is our new retail, fully loaded, with GA, SA, Bronze and yes, some Modern stuff, lacated at:

Bunkybrothers

9155 Archibald Ave Suite F

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

That be in Southern California in the Inland Empire area,

More later,

Brian

To me, it comes down to sitting on my in a store hoping a buyer for some of my 600 Daredevils happens to come in to store or spending an hour to list them on ebay and my website where every person looking for the book will be able to bid on the books while I do something I enjoy doing.

When you factor in the differences in rent and insurance between a large retail space and a warehouse space, the ebay/internet option quickly makes more sense, to me.

The upside of a retail store front is the chance of a sweetheart high grade Silver comic deal walking in the front door. You would have big signs saying "Buying Comic Books". You do not get this option when you are hiding out in cheap warehouse space. Even though I live in a tiny town, I have thought about renting a downtown store front, just to get my books out of the house. Than have the front half of the store full of my cheap reading clutter books, keep the online stuff in the back room. If someone asks for something, let them look at the good stuff.

So, the consensus is that everybody would like to shop there, but many people don't think it would survive???

Lets ask this question from the other direction then? If new books are the way to go, why don't comic stores make money. With the exception of only the biggest stores (like Richards), all I hear are store owners saying how bad new issues are, how much they pay Diamond and how little they get in return.

I mean think about it. Say you purchase 200K from Diamond in a year (which I would guess is something in line with what most stores do). If you are lucky, you are going to sell about 75% of that product. The comics you are probably going to about double your money on, but you are not going to have complete sell through, so alot of your profit is sitting there in product (that all your customers already have a copy of). If you do have closer to complete sell through, your business can never grow, because you don't have any product left. Not to mention, that there is another store right down the block that carries the EXACT same product, and they are probably discounting it to beat your price. And Midtown comics is offering 40% off to anybody that wants it, and will ship to your home.

Also, items like statues, t-shirts, etc, the discount sucks, so you have to sell 2 of 3 statues to break even.

This is the heart of the matter. There just isn't the margin on new stuff, and there's not enough volume in back issues (where you have the margin) to make comic book stores feasible today.

In 1991 we were buying $2 million annually in product from Diamond. We were getting 57.5% off cover. Free shipping. Those were not great margins then (but best there was) but that deal doesn't even exist anymore. Monopolies are not good for keeping costs low...

I collect pre-1966 Marvel: I would love the opportunity to buy an accurately graded raw book from that period at guide -- don't need a discount if the book is graded properly. It's worth the extra dollars compared to any Internet "deal" if I have the opportunity to access the book firsthand.

While I would most definitely buy there, but I would question the long term health of that business model. Eventually you will run out of customers so it would make sense to drive new people to your store by offering diverse collectibles, both new and used. You may or may not convert some of these people into back issues buyers, but they will at least purchase your other products.

I cite my LCS as a great example of being able to adapt to industry ups and downs as well as what the consumer wants and needs. Back in the early to mid 80's they were strictly a comic shop, with a great stock of back issues and a good size subscriber base. By the early 90's they moved to as larger space and when things went south with the industry they diversified. They now stock sports memorabilia, used DVD's, used video games, and host Magic tournaments a few times a week. Their ability to not be locked into being a one trick pony is the reason they survived the 90's when most did not.

Here is a commercial they used at one point:

Now if they would take the same approach on their back stock it would be the perfect storm for me. They have way to much lower grade stock that is priced not to move and has been handled so many times the condition is not what it was when it was initially placed in the bin. New back stock is generally priced below guide but at guide for keys. They don't change prices on any back stock so it's pretty funny to see some Spawn number 1's still at early 90's prices.

Even with my loyalty to them over the past 20+ years, I find myself really bored with their same old stuff in the long boxes. The hours I used to and could spend digging are reduced to 20 minutes of checking for new stock. (I'm there pretty much every week on Saturday). Over the past year I have been seeking out other local places to shop and have found a great store nearby run by one of the board members here (bedrockcomics). He tends to follow the same back issue model and keeps a good supply of current stuff as well as a fair amount of comic related material. He now owns about 50% of my new issue purchases and I try to stop in at least every two weeks.

My LCS is always packed on the week-ends and Bedrock has had people in and out every time I've been in there.

How does the old saying go? Something like, what is the quickest way to make $100,000? Open a comic store and invest $1,000,000.

Anyways you are going to need a ton of space for all of this to work. Plus a ton of people nearby who collect.

Good Luck if you do try this.

Y'know, Eide's in Pittsburgh comes pretty close to the shop Dale describes... their back issue inventory is deep, GA, SA, BA. I would say -- if I had one criticism of their model, it's simply that the copper/modern is probably slightly overpriced still.

But the depth of their back issues is tremendous and they buy more silver product than almost any store I've ever been to.

The comics that will move for higher prices will probably be online. It's the mid-grades he's talking about. (It's an outlet to dump books at a reasonable price.. and a place to take in new collections.)

I think you'd have to have daily "firesales" in order to keep up with rent, payroll, insurance, security, enough on-hand cash to buy new collections, etc... to make the store last for more than a few months.

If all the good stuff goes straight to online sales, what's the point? A shop where you can go in and buy mid-grade off-titles? How long are you going to last selling $2/5/10 copies of mid-grade House of Secrets or Black Panther or even Avengers?

Maybe you didnt read my post, but I clearly said everything would run through the store for a set amount of time, before it was put on line, and even when it was put online, it would NOT have to be removed from the store. Price point inventory control is pretty cheap and accessible now.

It just occurred to me that Metropolis Comics is very much like your proposed store. Zero new stock, deep selection of back issues, knowledgable staff, sells at shows and on-line. Seems to work for them.

If you're not going to carry new issues, at least carry new trades. This is very important as the trade market is huge and can easily eclipse back issues and new issues. A person who sees the Walking Dead tv series pilot might hear it's based on a comic book and drop by your store to check it out. Odds are he's not willing to pay for back issues but you can bet that he's willing to drop 10 bucks on the first trade. Trade paperbacks have the ability to draw in people who normally wouldn't read comics due to their size and bound nature. And once they reach the end of the current trade, they may want to hop onto the latest singles or go back and start collecting back issues. But a well maintained section of the latest graphic novels will get you through lean times where back issues aren't cutting it. So stock up on essentials like Runaways, Y The Last Man, Ex Machina, Walking Dead, Invincible to supplement the back issues.

I did read your initial post (3 pages ago). I was responding to Shin's comment, "the comics that move for higher prices will probably be online". Sorry that I didn't recall every detail of your initial post. In any case, there's no need to be pizzy or condescending (which is how your above response reads).

I like the idea. I wish something like that could work. I would certainly support a shop like that in my area, but I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to do it.

Sorry wasn't my intent to be pizzy.

While I would most definitely buy there, but I would question the long term health of that business model. Eventually you will run out of customers so it would make sense to drive new people to your store by offering diverse collectibles, both new and used. You may or may not convert some of these people into back issues buyers, but they will at least purchase your other products.

I cite my LCS as a great example of being able to adapt to industry ups and downs as well as what the consumer wants and needs. Back in the early to mid 80's they were strictly a comic shop, with a great stock of back issues and a good size subscriber base. By the early 90's they moved to as larger space and when things went south with the industry they diversified. They now stock sports memorabilia, used DVD's, used video games, and host Magic tournaments a few times a week. Their ability to not be locked into being a one trick pony is the reason they survived the 90's when most did not.

Here is a commercial they used at one point:

Now if they would take the same approach on their back stock it would be the perfect storm for me. They have way to much lower grade stock that is priced not to move and has been handled so many times the condition is not what it was when it was initially placed in the bin. New back stock is generally priced below guide but at guide for keys. They don't change prices on any back stock so it's pretty funny to see some Spawn number 1's still at early 90's prices.

Even with my loyalty to them over the past 20+ years, I find myself really bored with their same old stuff in the long boxes. The hours I used to and could spend digging are reduced to 20 minutes of checking for new stock. (I'm there pretty much every week on Saturday). Over the past year I have been seeking out other local places to shop and have found a great store nearby run by one of the board members here (bedrockcomics). He tends to follow the same back issue model and keeps a good supply of current stuff as well as a fair amount of comic related material. He now owns about 50% of my new issue purchases and I try to stop in at least every two weeks.

My LCS is always packed on the week-ends and Bedrock has had people in and out every time I've been in there.

Nah, if you had good stuff and good prices, you would never run out of customers in a big city like Chicago or NY.

It just occurred to me that Metropolis Comics is very much like your proposed store. Zero new stock, deep selection of back issues, knowledgable staff, sells at shows and on-line. Seems to work for them.

well, all except the part about reasonable prices.

If you already have a warehouse, then this seems a no brainer... (Opening it to limited visits or by private appt.)

Lot of comic dealers already do this.

If you want a viable retail store with a lot of walk-by traffic, then the issue becomes are these back-issue customers? Or maybe Moms looking for comics for their kids? (In which case, you'd have to stock lots of Simpsons comics or Disney/Archies/Richie Rich.)

i am not going to reread the whole thread but i always admired "comic book stores"

that heavily stocked science fiction and fantasy novels. They often had a bigger

selection of the old stuff that I would have to wait and order from the big book

stores like borders.

avid readers of those novels would come back again and again. they often picked

up some comic books too.

so it seems one has to diversify to survive which every "comic book store" i have

been to over the last several years did just that.

if it was me i would steal some ideas from hobby stores and integrate some of that

stuff too. i notice one local shop does just that with small figurines one can paint,

some plastic model kits, and a nice line of paints/brushes. You get the idea. Make

it a fun place to be with lots of choices.

it is almost like a store that takes all the best pieces from stores I grew up with

would be awesome. hobby/comic/toy/video games/etc... all in one place with

an owner who has the right taste for his locale.

Does Metropolis ever actually sell any of their books? :D